steps you hate...and why

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Mar 16, 2007.

1. samina

samina Well-Known Member

<heh>

i understand. my luck is that we aren't currently working on samba, so he can show me and if i'm so inclinced, i can ignore it. anyway, we have plenty enuf on our plate right now for samba digressions... he wouldn't go there.

am so curious what these are that they are so despised.

i actually love chicken walks :rolleyes:
  2. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I personally don't like same pattern being done over and over and over and over in any dance, except standard VW, where we only have reverse and natural turns until we get to fleckerls, so we would do revserse turns down one side and then naturals down the other side. In foxtrot, there are many different things to do, even on the bronze level, without resorting to multiple fwd-fwd-side-together all the way down the floor. Same about merengue, it mostly consists of side-together-side-together, that is boring in itself, plus its music sounds obnoxious, so I hate the whole thing (JMO and a matter of personal taste, I guess, my husband, for example, likes merengue music for some obscure reason).
  3. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

I don't care for merengue music either. But I like the dance--with the right leader. With the wrong leader it's boring as anything, but with a leader who really knows and likes merengue, there are so many fun turn patterns and whatnot that it can be tons of fun. And, if you dance it super-close, it can be very, very sexy.
  4. dancedude314

dancedude314 New Member

Everyone has their personal preferences. However, what's really obnoxious is making assertions like "X kind of music is obnoxious", especially on a forum where you have no idea who you are talking to. For all you know, someone out there loves merengue music and can't get enough of it. You just insulted that person. As you say, it's a matter of personal taste, so why be so dismissive?
  5. dancedude314

dancedude314 New Member

Agreed.

It sounds like followers are complaining that leaders don't do much more than basics in merengue. I'm surprised to hear that since patterns are so much easier in merengue. Almost any pattern in swing or salsa can be put into merengue with hardly any extra thought. And even if you "make a mistake", since merengue has no backbone, your "mistake" just becomes another pattern. What fun! :)
  6. tanya_the_dancer

I didn't say anything about the person who likes it. I am married to one. He likes both the dance and the music, he thinks they're both fun and cheery. Just don't make me listen to merengue music, because I really, really don't like it. It has something about it, which is repetitive and annoying, kinda making same musical pattern forcefully over and over until it gets stuck in your head. So, the bottom line is, merengue is probably the only dance I say "no" to.
  7. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

If someone doesn't like a certain kind of music, I don't quite get how that would be a personal insult to someone who does like the music. Someone can hate the dress I'm wearing and say so, but I don't take it personally. I chalk it up to their bad taste ;). I think people here have thicker skin than that...
  8. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

hate is a passion, boredom isn't...depends on how you feel about that union;)
  9. fascination

chicken walks are where...uh...lol...the woman looks like shes water skiing and turning both skie sideways at the same time...swing...blech

shoulders taps are what they sound like...two people chasing each other around in a circle takeing turns tripling and tapping
  10. fascination

totally...bad enough I now have an attitude about them without even knowing why
  11. fascination

I don't think anyone here has insulted the opinion of another...that onions are obnoxious to me doesn't mean that all onion lovers are obnoxious...but it is fair for me to think onions are obnoxious...and they are IMO...I don't find meringue obnoxious btw...just boring...but hey...to each his own
  12. tanya_the_dancer

Tried to find that whole post and could not.

I think that what it said in a nutshell:

American tango - like flirting with each other.
    Argentine tango - passionate honeymoon.
    International tango - have been married for 10 years and staying together for the sake of the kids.
  13. dancedude314

dancedude314 New Member

It was obviously a rude comment, but whatever. This is the "steps you hate" thread after all.
  14. marktheshark

marktheshark New Member

Somehow I find International tango totally awesome (never danced it though).
    American tango is alright, but I couldn't care less about tango Argentino...
  15. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

A step whose only purpose is to wreck the heels of your expensive latin shoes. If I can find a short video clip, I'll post it.
  16. DizzyDancer

DizzyDancer New Member

Free spin in hustle. It's terrifying. Throw my arms up in the air and keep spinning until he stops me? Yeah, right.
  17. Merrylegs

Merrylegs Well-Known Member

Yes! Doing these is the only time I ever feel like I'm going to snap my heel off.

I remember doing this step in Silver Latin and thinking this must be here to show some sort of proficiency in the samba movement. A former teacher used to love leading them and I hated doing them. It was in one of my pro-am comp routines and was sooooo glad to not have to do them anymore.

And I had totally blocked it out, they're not fun.
  18. DennisBeach

DennisBeach New Member

I like doing an occasional Merengue. It is the one dance I can safely improvise in and it helps us improve our lead/follow in open position. Unforetunately I sometimes come up with really neat moves and can not remember what I did.
  19. jekyblue

jekyblue New Member

I dislike the shoulder taps too but I put up with them better now that I understand what the pro is trying to make me learn by making me do them. Lots of steps are like that -- show me the reason and perhaps I'll learn to love them. Or -- make me learn to do it right and maybe I'll learn to like the step or the dance. I'm THIS close to learning to like bolero.

I avoid merengue in competition -- it makes my legs hurt to try to do it "right". It's lots of fun in a social setting with someone who's willing to go with the music and the heck with precise patterns learned in class. I appreciate merengue much more since I went to a local amateur salsa class run by folks who insist on teaching merengue and bachata regularly as salsa companion dances. (This is not a large city. I have to take whatever dance is available. Those of you with access to really good dance spots should count your blessings.) Anyhow, give me merengue over bachata any day. What a silly dance. Or someone show me how it's really supposed to look.

I'm surprised so many people dislike samba. I just love the dance. I can't do it right, but that samba music just pulls me in every time. I'd love to learn to do it well but I'd settle for being able to follow whatever is led.
  20. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

I love samba, too! Love the msic, love the timing.... also I

like corta jacas! They're fun. They were easy for me because of Jazz training.

Almost all my students - at least 85% - disliked that shoulder tap in swing. I teach it American style, with a gentle touch on the back. So, y'all are not alone on that one, nearly everyone hates it.