steps you hate...and why

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Laura

Laura New Member

Oh, but that's why I like them! The lady suddenly gets to strut her stuff and have the upper hand!

You go you chicken walkin' girrls!

2. Laura

Laura New Member

Follow your heart...no one is making you do ballroom. A teacher of mine once said "the purpose of dancing is to love doing it."

I'm not sure that's grammatically correct, but you get the idea....

3. Laura

Laura New Member

I think corte jaca is one of the most god-awful steps in existence. Thank god I've never seen it led socially!

4. Laura

Laura New Member

I see it as a way of getting back at my teacher by being completely and utterly disdainful of him :)

5. Laura

Laura New Member

My issue is that not only do I not enjoy Salsa dancing, I don't like the music, either. I used to live in a neighborhood where the menfolk would get drunk, and hang out on their stoops to all hours playing Salsa music through blown speakers. Ay dios mio!

6. Laura

Laura New Member

I actually saw it danced well in competition once...it was Dima & Olga Sukachov (what the heck ever happened to them?!) in some Pro Latin event in San Francisco about five years ago. I was amazed.

Still hate the step, though.

7. Laura

Laura New Member

OMG, me too! I'm fine until after the contra check. One of these days when I'm bored I'll make TS actually teach them to me, but we've got other fish to fry right now.

8. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

I think I was scarred for life by the styling of my first latin teacher who had us visual "sawing wood" with the joined low hand during this step... Lumberjack and Samba do not go together.... well maybe the Monty Python Lumberjack in a reverse role/same sex samba.... but that's neither here nor there....

9. Laura

Laura New Member

I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay, I sleep all night and I samba all day!

10. dancesportgirl21

dancesportgirl21 New Member

LOL- that would make the most amazing showdance

11. dancesportgirl21

dancesportgirl21 New Member

Can we just not do them the other direction? Or would the avoidance be too obvious? ;)

12. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

Here ya go (and keep in mind that Slavik and Karina could probably make the hokey pokey look cool):

[YT]n3wUbC8unpM[/YT]

13. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Oh, that's a corta jaca? I've seen those...I think they're really cool to watch. My teacher and his wife like to dance those.

14. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

"Seeing" and "doing" are two different beasts :p

15. LucyDiamond

LucyDiamond Active Member

That's the truth!!!

16. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Absolutely! I won't even dance samba, so there's that for not liking them. I just think they can be very pretty to watch, is all. I was expecting them to be something I'd never seen before, is all.

17. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Maybe doing them and watching them are two different things? You know, I actually saw shalene do them with a student and looked pretty darn good. At least I was buying it from them....

18. mamboqueen

LMAO! Once again GMTA!

19. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

and this version doesn't show the way-cool option of dancing it with your arm down (like sawing wood, as Eric pointed out, and which inspired Laura to sing the Monty Python lumberjack song....)

20. mamboqueen

yeah...and doing it in MUCH closer contact.