steps you hate...and why

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Mar 16, 2007.

1. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

that's so cool. i've seen dancers do that socially, just didn't know what it's called. i dont' know why you think it's hard or hate-worthy. i looks like it will be a lot of fun if only lead correctly on a good follower.

2. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

somebody post a video of chicken walks? the name sounds so interesting... ;)

3. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

I don't have the Slavik/Karina disc w/me right now, but if no one else posts chicken walks for you, I'll do it tomorrow.

4. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

That crack in the end of the video - is this a sound of a heel breaking off? :)

5. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't at all be surprised!

6. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Well, there's another reason to hate the stinkin' step!

7. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

nada. why hate a step? wasted emotion. I rather just concentrate on doing what i enjoy so that's why I beg off nowdays when I don't like the song. I'd rather watch than dance. It amuses me to see what people do. :)

8. liz

liz New Member

great topic!!!!

I HATE RONDAS... I think that is how it spelled..of all things I just can't seem to make them look right.. chicken walks are on my top list, and the taps, those are just wronge.
    we had this little move in our cha-cha, not sure the name, but you did a butty pop, like one of those old pin-up girls.. really kiddy... drove me crazy..
    I like the mambo, I just don't like the way I look doing it...

9. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Then try the salsa as one does it a tad differently. Maybe you will like the way you look in it then... ;-)

10. Roadrunner

Roadrunner New Member

I guess I'm in the minority, because I love corta jacas. In our first lesson, we were just kind of playing around and I asked him to show me the corta jaca, so we spent 15-20 minutes on it and now we dance it socially and incorporate it into all of our competition routines. It breaks out of the regular samba rhythm and allows for really great fwd/bwd hip motion.

Anyways, I am ridiculously bad at rondes, so I really hate doing them.

11. samina

samina Well-Known Member

thanks for the vid, tanya! looks kinda cool, actually... never saw it done before.

12. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

well, erm...I have some very special "rondas" in my life...I think you are meaning ronde's...but never fear you have not unseated me as worst speller ...largely a function of laziness on my part rather than aptitude...BUT, anyhow, yes...hate the booty bump too;)

13. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

Check and pop? a.k.a. chicken pox, a.k.a. popcorn chicken :p
    Yeah, that one sure pushes "cheeky" to the extreme.... :rolleyes:

14. DennisBeach

DennisBeach New Member

That was the only move on the Ron Montez Samba tape, we did not even try out. We all seem have different taste and some people like the move. I looked at it and decided to move on to the next move.

15. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

fascination, you're killin' me.... *grin*

I think I've found a move in my samba routine that I will give you a run for your money on the beached whale thing in shadow anyday....

16. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

ya know...I am okay with check and pop although anything that deleiberately calls for sticking my heinie out does not thrill me...it does that way mor than enough without my trying...but I really have disdain for the one that looks like the couple are doing "the bump"....

17. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Ooooh, I hate the check & pop.

Don't like sticking my butt out--not one bit. And my teacher is always after me to get more body movement into it, and that's really just not me.

Oh, and what's that thing in swing--we've always called it a hip check. Side by side with your partner, but separated...triple step in towards each other...bump hips on 2&...then triple step back out. I HATE that one. Can never get the bump right--either slam hips way too hard, or not enough, or aim wrong and end up bumping butts instead of hips...nothing good about that move.

18. WorksForShoes

WorksForShoes Member

Buy me a ticket on the hate train about shoulder taps in swing. Caught a look in the mirror when DH and I were doing that in our lesson once, and we looked like two school kids skipping around the playground. We quickly decided the step was good to know for syllabus completeness, but there was no reason to ever do that in public.

19. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

The corta jaca thing just dawned on me (as I'm dancing AT around the house by myself)...I've done a version of that! It's one of my AT teacher's favorite things to lead in milongas (fast AT).

It's much fun as an AT step--I love it!

Granted, there's no hip action or bounce as such, but it's the same step otherwise, and it's soooo fun.

20. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

Here ya go. I chose Corky/Shirley instead of Slavik/Karina because Karina did the more understated flick in place instead of the traveling swivel-y things we all love :rolleyes:

[YT]G_K3yiUw2EQ[/YT]