steps you hate...and why

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Mar 16, 2007.

1. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

My latin instructor told me you're not supposed to slam into your partner on that one (much as I sometimes like to :p). It's one of those blasted "illusion" steps where you lean into/toward your partner, but don't actually bump butts/hips.

And speaking of shoulder taps, isn't "chugging" in Jive a more refined version of that?

2. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Huh. I've been taught to bump...gently. Yeah, right. Haven't been able to make that work yet. Don't care to work on it any further to master the illusion.

3. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

yahh..tell that to my former teacher who used to send me flying across the room. I got so used to that, that when I started with my new teacher, I sent him flying.

Chugging means a completely different thing to me....let's not mix up drinking lingo with steps...I'm already confused enough ;)

4. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

oy, it's only Monday and already you're dreaming of liquor....:rolleyes:

5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

you think she's only dreaming?

6. mamboqueen

After this weekend, it'll be another month...at least!

7. fascination

8. mamboqueen

Drank two nights in a row...don't need to be thinkin' about it again any time soon ;)

9. fascination

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh...naughty

10. mamboqueen

actually, I was good. Two others went *boom* flat on the dance floor on Saturday night. And my friend happened to have her cell phone in her hand, captured the event on video. :(

11. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

*cough* SO, how 'bout those chicken walks? :p

12. mamboqueen

bock bock bock....

She really goes quite more side to side than I've seen some do...which I cannot watch myself do (vomituitous moment). I prefer just a little (chick walk?) turnout.

13. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

I have to say, I don't think I've ever seen a chicken walk this way.

14. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

I was going to say the same thing, but most of the time I see chicken its already breaded....

The only "reason" for the name I can think of is rather unflattering -- long skinny legs sticking out below a pooffy short skirt would be something like chicken's legs.....

15. mamboqueen

LMAO! Just where the chicken belongs...on the plate!

16. K_8ie

K_8ie New Member

I totally hate Samba walks....just feel sooooooo awkward doing them

17. K_8ie

K_8ie New Member

That's because he chicken walks are extremely old school! lol

18. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

I just realised tonight that I hate all poses that require you to have Karina's legs or be Karina. I am referring to those semi drops where you throw a leg in the air or those things where you almost sit on your feet and grab his leg (I am quite sure I saw Elena do such a pose with Slavik in a Chacha). I mean, if I was a World Superstars gal sure, go ahead and add them to our routine! Else they will look awful. As you can imagine, I vetoed any and all such ideas my teacher had, and he had to resort to more classic moves. I feel sorry for him. NOT.

T_E

19. dTas

dTas New Member

how about the "pogo pogo"?

20. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

wasn't it the bogo pogo?