steps you hate...and why

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Mar 16, 2007.

1. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

having flashbacks of Strictly Ballroom!

2. RIdancer82

RIdancer82 New Member

:lol:

not sure if I'll ever look at chicken walks the same again, lol... ;):D

3. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

oops, note to self, don't share goofy mental images with dance partner :)

4. Me

Me New Member

I hate that stupid hip lift in Bolero. Please just break... don't make me do that stupid hip lift... aw man....

5. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i like that one... sexy :cool: and especially how when you come back down you change direction. love that feeling...

6. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

okay, so back to chicken walks...how do I do these things in a way that conveys something other than how much I loathe them?????

7. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

Are you doing a swiveling action, a step and point, or some other stylization? Maybe you can try a different interpretation of them?

And speaking of steps I hate... I don't hate it when it works but I fear the outside spin will just never ever be correct in my muscle memory. To get it to work well I have to think about it, every single time. :-/

8. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

I'm at a loss to help you as I'm trying to relate it to my feelings of doing a corta jaca. Can your pro just *not* put them into your routine? I like chicken walks better in jive (maybe because they're over quicker?), but it's still one of the moves that I am prone to blow the lead on if I don't know it's coming.

9. Dancebug

Dancebug Well-Known Member

I have a same problem. But I do not even know what I need to think about. Do you care to share? It is one of those things we did not go over with our coach yet because there are other urgent things to take care of.

10. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I hate flip-flop twinkles in American VW. They get out of control so easily.

11. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

Definitely Hover Cross, It just never looks good when I do it.

12. skwiggy

What I personally need to think about is closing my hips early enough and fast enough to get a proper foot closure at the right time. Plus staying in front of the man's right side instead of going too far past him before he turns.

If these don't work for you, something that helps a lot of people with this step is to stay left, left, and more left.

13. skwiggy

I find just about every step that is in wing position to be somewhat uncomfortable much of the time.

14. Katarzyna

True, but this one is my personal worst.. I dont mind wing quite as much when I enter the position without a heel turn turn

15. skwiggy

Interesting, because this is probably the wing position step that is the most comfortable for me out of all of them. Probably because he's checking into that awkward space on the "wrong" side of the partnership instead of moving through it. ;)

16. Katarzyna

Ours is a continuous hover cross.. not a big fan of this step at all

17. Dancebug

Dancebug Well-Known Member

Another thing I was told is not to commence my step too soon and to wait long enough for the man to clear my way. Do you think this is something I need to think about, too?

18. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

fast swivels in cha cha...feels like I'm trying to do my best imitation of a car wash roller brush. *groan*

put me in a fringe latin dress and I'm there... *sigh*

19. Stagekat

Stagekat Member

I can't seem to handle spinning to the left without a ton of leverage... my left side never really has been my friend... it's comical really :)

20. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

Ha, interesting but I actually really love the outside spin. A lot of why it works depends on the guy keeping you in front of him as he commences the turn in outside partner and placing you where you can comfortably close your feet. This allows you not to lose the connection and stay left and make the step very comfortable. When my coach did it with my partner initially, she was like "what do you want me to do here, I absolutely cannot tell because you are turning away from me". Then she told my partner how to do it without turning away and ever since then it's been a piece of cake for me.

Dancebug: I agree you have to wait for him to commence the turn but I wouldn't call that clearing your way because if he sin't in front of you with his right side, you cannot tell what he wants you to do or where he wants you to go. He needs to do a lot of twisting action in his back to keep contact, commence the turn and still convey to you where he wants you to go, all whilst keeping connection in outside parnter position...

Hate the whisk in Waltz. Ever since we stopped doing it, my life is so much better... Also, not in love with our exit from SFL (a sort of reverse pivoting action to close position)...