steps you hate...and why

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Mar 16, 2007.

1. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i so agree -- this is the only step that i dread, so far. am trying to love it. i figure the only reason i despise it is that it's problematic for me -- i still am not getting something. so am trying to love it to pieces so that i can understand why in the world it evades me...

2. Dancebug

Dancebug Well-Known Member

Hmmm... I gusee I will have my partner read this thread.

3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I hate the fact that the dude is looking at me and I have to think I am hot while I am doing it...ew.ew.ew.yes, swiveling...but I cannot do it without a look of sheer disgust....

outside spin ...I am so with you...no calamity happens, but I am always glad it's over

4. fascination

I have begged...he is a mean man;)

5. samina

samina Well-Known Member

this outside spin... what dance we talkin', here?

6. fascination

waltz...sam

oh btw...on whisk?....SIT...before that think of a lock that turns

7. fascination

oh...and every step that I have to arrive on a straight leg

8. Stagekat

Stagekat Member

You name it... unless it's ECS... my balance gets all off... suddenly my instructor's arm is at my back keeping me from getting too out of control...and then of course I feel bad, cuz I think I should know how to do these things by now... My two biggest issues are Waltz and a few moves in Cha-Cha.

9. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

or FT.

10. samina

samina Well-Known Member

fwiw, your turning lock analogy is still with me... conceptually speaking. will see about the sitting. i hope i am not permanently whisk-challenged... sooner or later i have to nail this thing.

i always feel the problem very strongly in my feet, that they just collapse & betray me. am hoping this work on foot strength will make a difference in this figure as well as with so much else.

11. ACtenDance

ACtenDance Active Member

or tango or quickstep... got it in all of them I think, yeesh

12. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

Which step? The first, second or third? ;)

13. samina

samina Well-Known Member

re outside spin, thanks -- just wanted to be sure we were talking standard, here, cuz i know it's a different entiry altogether in latin.

it's been awhile since i did the OS in standard... stopped practicing open gold choreo with my am. partner and now it's just been a bronze world for me since spring. :sigh:

14. skwiggy

For me there are two main keys to the whisk.

1. Delay the heel lowering until you are ready to move forward. This helps in all similar checked moves in Standard (e.g. curved feather)

2. Lower before you move.

These sound contradictory, but they actually work together nicely if you time them just right. So maybe I can summarize it all by saying that the key is coordinating the timing of the lowering and the movement just right.

My favorite analogy for #2, given by the wonderful Ron Bennett (paraphrasing), "Santa must come down the chimney before he leaves the fireplace, or he will bang his head". I love that man. :) (Ron, not so much Santa, that is)

15. Dancebug

Dancebug Well-Known Member

The first, I think.

16. skwiggy

I think this is the same thing that Ithink and I were talking about with staying in front of the man's right side. Although she indicated it was his job to keep her there, and I was saying it was my job to stay there. ;) But I gather that the reason you are told to go later, is so that you don't go past his right side and end up wrapping around beside or behind him.

17. samina

samina Well-Known Member

very cool -- thanks, skwigs. will add this to my whisk-mastering aresenal. i love the santa analogy. :)

yep, it's in the heel lowering where i know i've had so much trouble -- i generally always focus on not lowering until the 3-& in waltz, but with the whisk i have simply not been able to control and stabilize the action because my feet won't obey. it has always seemed to me that there's so much to coordinate, and my feet just haven't been up to the task to take care of me while i coordinate all the other bits.

am looking forward to seeing how my whisk is this weekend with pro, with my feet feeling stronger...

18. skwiggy

My pleasure. If you cannot control lowering onto your heel, perhaps your weight is too far back? Maybe try staying more forward over the balls of your feet before you mean to lower?

Ron is full of fantastic analogies that are always so simple and clear it's sometimes frightening.

One of my favorites of all time, again paraphrasing, "Rumba should be like hot fudge melting on ice cream". Mmmmm. :)

19. samina

samina Well-Known Member

one of my problems is that i try to compensate for my heels lowering too quickly by not getting back where i should be, by being too forward... but will keep your suggestion in mind as i tackle it later. :)
    omg, how perfect is that...

20. skwiggy

I see. Then maybe it's just a matter of trying to keep properly lined up, not leaning either forward or back? ;)

I'm telling you, the man is a genius. And he's full of these!