Sticky Floors

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by VTDancer, Sep 16, 2005.

1. VTDancer

VTDancer Member

Dose anyone have any suggestions for dealing with "sticky" floors. These days we often practice in gyms. The urethaned floors in these gyms don't allow your feet to slide or turn very well. We are practicing mostly Standard. I have tried putting baby powder on the bottom of my shoes. That works for about 30 seconds. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Put baby powder on the whole floor? :D
  3. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I second it! One more for the motion to carry. :wink: 8)
  4. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

Is it a year round problem or a recent one? A lot of schools refinish their gym floors over the summer, and they are pretty much undanceable for a few weeks thereafter until all the solvent evaporate and enough dust gets ground in to take the "grab" off the finish.
  5. standardgirl

standardgirl New Member

Yep, that's exactly what I am experiencing right now. First day back to school for the team tryout, I was "stuck" to the floor, couldn't slide my feet at all. Don't brush your shoes and try to go to the corner of the room where there is normally some dusts, that should help.
  6. ballroomdancertoo

ballroomdancertoo Active Member

Try checking the soles of your shoe. If it is well worn and somewhat dirty and grimmy, try changing the sole with a new felt padding. It is not hard if you havent done it before. Just some fabric glue and some felt from the local dance shop or shoe store(tell them what's the felt for). It'll help a little more to slide. :banana:
  7. Chris Stratton

Ballroom shoes use leather soles, not felt.
  8. ballroomdancertoo

ballroomdancertoo Active Member

Referring to the felt bottoms on the soles of the leather shoe. I don't mean a felt shoe....duh?!
  9. Chris Stratton

And I'm informing you that the soles of real ballroom shoes are leather, not felt.

Felt, in case you weren't aware is a material made by treating wool so that the fibers become matted and interlock with each other - can also be made with arcylic and perhaps other synthetics. Dance shoe soles use leather 'splits' - basically a waste product consisting of inner layers of the skin of the cow after the outer "grain" leather has been split off for more premium uses, like the shoe upper. People commonly refer to the substance as suede leather, but that really refers to a more premium product than is needed.
  10. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Depends on what shoe you're wearing. Is it a dance sneaker, suede soled, rubber?

Twilight Elena
  11. Chris Stratton

Dance sneakers are not 'real ballroom shoes' They are convenient knock-around shoes borrowed from other dance forms.
  12. dTas

dTas New Member

i was wondering this myself. is this a year round problem or due to a recent waxing? one thing that i have tried is tape. it shouldn't hurt your soles, masking or packing tape don't use a very aggressive adhesive.

you could try using masking tape or packing tape on the bottom of your shoes. NOT tape side down against the floor obviously but putting tape against the sole of your shoe and sliding on the back side of the tape. that might serve as a temporary means of sliding until the finish of the floor relaxes.
  13. VTDancer

VTDancer Member

Thanks for the replies. Once we actually did try spreading baby powder all around the gym floor. It didn't work very well, and when the janitor found out what we had done, we received a good tongue lashing. Apparently, he fent this needed to be cleaned up completely before they could use it for basketball.

The problem does seem much worse in warm, muggy weather, and when the floors have been recently re-urethaned. Maybe now with colder weather and dirtier shoes it will get better on its own.

I am interested in the tape on the shoe bottom approach. Have you actually tried this? If so, did it leave any adheasive to the shoes after you took the tape off? We are using typical ballroom shoes with chromed leather bottoms.
  14. dTas

dTas New Member

i only had to do this a few times and it did help. the tape didn't hurt the shoes because i used masking tape or clear packing tape. like i said the glue used on these types of tape aren't strong enough to leave a residue on the bottom of your shoe. try masking tape first and be sure to remove the tape immediately after dancing.
  15. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

A couple of years ago, I danced at a comp where they finished the floor with real wax. If you experience this, note that the stuff builds up on your shoes, and you have to remove it periodically. I didn't until after the comp ended; then I had to scrape my shoes with a paint scraper. :shock:
  16. Ignatius

Ignatius New Member

Once we had to do a demo in front of the community in our National Day celebration.

Apparently they put carpet on the stage where we were supposed to dance.

Not having danced on a carpeted floor before, we found out that this was the toughest surface to dance.
  17. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Depends on the type of carpet as well..too. Shag is different from the commercial smoother carpeting in many offices and public spaces.
  18. liangjz

liangjz New Member

Really, I've had to dance on carpet before. I can't imagine what it does to women's high heels, but I think it can be worked with. I think the sticky gym floors can be much much worse.

To answer the original question, it can only be natural for the janitor to be upset at you. The floor is sticky because people want it to be sticky.

I'd recommend putting something on the bottom of your shoe. Depending on how bad it is, you can try duct tape or nylon stockings(for both guys and girls). The nylon stockings go on the outside of your shoe to give you less friction with the floor. Of course, the stockings will be damaged and made useless after a few dances, but it will last for a performance and stuff.
  19. Dancing on a sticky floor?

This past weekend I attended a dance at a convention. The site was an old railroad station converted into convention meeting room space. I was saddened by how sticky the panels on portable wooden floor were. My boyfriend's estimation is that it's due to wax build up from the site waxing the floor to make it new-looking without treating it to make it dance-able.

Is there anything that can be done to counteract this? Different types of shoes...or something? In the end my boyfriend and I ended up dancing off to the side on carpet. Still not the most comfortable surface to dance on, but at least my foot didn't stay in place as the rest of me tried to spin around.
  20. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Possibly leather-soled shoes? I dunno. They can still stick, but they tend to be a bit faster than suede.