Stranded on a desert island

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by pygmalion, Nov 23, 2012.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

What would you take with you, if you knew you were going to be stranded on a desert island for a while? This topic came up in another thread, and I find it fascinating.

What would I take? Well, after having listened to my survivalist GF far too many times, I would start with bleach, benadryl and aspirin. Then I would add in my fave food, beans and rice, and my mix tape of music** to keep me company. Add in a journal and something to write with and I think I'm good to go.

How about you? Visualize yourself alone on a desert island for the foreseeable future. What do you want to have with you?

** Simon and Garfunkel's The Boxer, Smokey Robinson and the Miracles Ooh Baby Baby, Cat Stevens' Morning Has Broken, Nat King Cole The Ruby and the Pearl, Erik Satie Gymnopedie #1, Kansas Dust in the Wind, Eric Clapton Old Love, James Brown Funky Good Time, The Dixie Cups Going to the Chapel, Schubert The Unfinished Symphony, The Beatles Let It Be, The Fresh Prince Summertime, Libera Me from the Faure Requiem, Tuck and Patty Heaven Down Here, Manhattan Transfer Ray's Rock House, Lucky Dube Hold On, Sam Cooke She Was Only Sixteen, Jason Mraz I'm Yours, Metallica Nothing Else Matters, The Carpenters For All We Know, and The Temptations version of Silent Night.
  2. madmaximus

madmaximus Well-Known Member

Heh... I've BEEN on a deserted tropical island.

This is what I would bring in order of importance:
    • Machete or Ax (or both)
    • Flint, match, or fire-making supplies
    • Swiss army knife with compass
    • Serious-weather clothes
    • Good pair of boots
    • Biggest plastic tarp I can get my hands on
    • Industrial strength first aid kit--complete with foot-care, suture-stuff, and a range of antibiotics
    • Length of cord
    • Length of rope
    • Bleach/Iodine
    • Water containers with filter (or for DIY filtration: UV solar-rechargeable flashlight)
    • Crossbow & bolts or Bow & Arrow
    • Swimming goggles and Snorkel
    • Net/Fishing rod and gear
    • Food and provisions (if allowed under this scenario)
    • Boat/raft (also if allowed under this scenario)
    • and xxxxxxxxxxxx
  3. pygmalion

You never cease to amaze me, max. You have such a cool range of experiences! Just curious. How is the flashlight related to DIY water filtration?
  4. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

I'd take Madmaximus, and a sunhat flip-flops and a pair of shorts:cool:
    GGinrhinestones, madmaximus and Debra like this.
  5. madmaximus

It's a specific type Py---an Ultra Violet (UV) flashlight.

It can be used to kill 99.9% of organisms in water.

The filtration system is a gravity-actuated screen filter, not for short-term, and is built as a box or series of chambers.

It requires gravel, sand, fine sand, and charcoal as filters (all of which, I presume would be found on the island) and UV flashlight.

The principle of operation: as water passes through the filters, debris is caught, first by the gravel and sand, and then further refined by charcoal (and one of the best charcoal for the job is--coconut husk and shells).

The final filtered water goes into an antechamber after the charcoal stage where it is then exposed to the UV for a spell.

The system can be easily built with bamboo and plastic tarp, hooked up to a stream...

This way, you don't have to boil water everyday, and use up precious firewood.

m
  6. madmaximus

LOL

You could make a sunhat from coconut leaves and Japanese geta-style flip-flops from bamboo or wood.

I would ditch the shorts and make a hula-type skirt--from coconut leaves, fabric, or something (practical value: one of the things to guard against in that situation is jock-itch or any type of rash, which can become very nasty when infected).

And don't forget to bring the beer.

m
  7. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

having had a son in the peace corps, I can verify the importance of many of the things about which Max speaks....I know that a good knife and good boots are very important, as is a decent hat.....I would add duct tape and a good sleeping bag, perhaps some good mosquito netting.....
  8. pygmalion

Very cool. the things you learn in DF. :) What's funny is that i started the thread thinking very joking, light-hearted thoughts. BUT, given all that has happened in the Northeast this year (and given my own experience with natural disasters) knowing what kind of stuff to have around can be very useful.

When my family's hometown was trashed by Hurricane Andrew (twenty something years ago) almost the entire town was without electrcity, water and many people were without cars because their cars were destroyed. And even those who had cars, in many cases, had no way to get around (because the pumps were down and/or water had gotten into gas tanks. ) And this was before cell phones (which don't work very well there, even now.) And the town is way, way out in the boonies and there was debris everywhere, so it's not like you could easily walk to get help or supplies.

Not all that different from a desert island.
  9. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

10. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Filing that away in the "just in case" cabinet... very clever.
  11. pygmalion

My GF who lived in a developing country on a church mission for a couple years said that they used to use a very dilute bleach solution to wash their fresh fruit and veg. In a pinch, they'd also use a drop of bleach to purify drinking water that they suspected to be unsafe.

For the record, blech. Just figured I'd mention it.
  12. madmaximus

To get rid of the chlorine (or elemental Iodine, which may also be used for filtration), you can run it through a carbon filter (charcoal)--better for your health over the long-term.

This is not substantially different from the BRITA or other brand faucet-attached filters available to modern consumers.

(The main difference is that the BRITA consumer-version uses Activated Carbon, a fancy name for charcoal that's been treated with oxygen to improve the absorption properties)

If you recall basic chemistry, basic Carbon (or charcoal) in its basic state will already easily absorb elemental Chlorine or Iodine.

In a 3rd-world country situation, this filter is not difficult to make--most cultures have knowledge of how to make charcoal--it is the knowledge to apply it in water filtration that hampers most efforts.

m
  13. madmaximus

Since you're filing this for long term, I should add that elemental Chlorine (or some such), added ahead of the charcoal filtration stage negates the need for the UV Light.

The advantage: charcoal will filter out the chlorine.

m
  14. mindputtee

FTFY ;)

In the long run, I think the solar chargeable uv light would be more useful for a variety of things.
    JudeMorrigan and Lioness like this.
  15. madmaximus

Thank you for the FTFY mindputtee, I truly appreciate the effort.

Now, the keen and curious reader will no doubt explore the difference between ABsorption and ADsorption.

(While I do make my share of mistakes, this one was made intentionally---to favor understandability in lieu of accuracy). :)

m
  16. pygmalion

Didn't want to jump in and put words in your mouth, but I suspected as much. :cool:
  17. mindputtee

Ah, completely understandable. I remember when I first learned about the difference in high school chem I thought it was pretty cool (I still think it's pretty cool).

Things I'd take with me:
    Tomahawk
    Rope and carabiners
    Bow and arrows
    Net (for fishing and/or trapping)
    Waterproofed canvas
    Watch w/ timer
    Couple of buckets in a variety of sizes
    Striker
    Towel
  18. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

a flint lighter
    a billhook
    bow and arrows sounds good
    a compass
    pencil eraser and paper (lots)
    a dusky maiden ;)
  19. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

Was this thread supposed to be taken literally??
    Wasn't it supposed to be about favorite music, food, etc.??
  20. pygmalion

It was meant to be light-hearted, silly and fun. Funny even. But hey. Threads go where they will. I've learned to just go with it.