Stretches for Dancers

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by pygmalion, Oct 17, 2003.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Just thought of a new topic, because I woke up totally stiff this morning. Lots of dance practice well into the night.

Does anyone out there have a favorite stretch, series of stretches or resource of information on stretching for dancers? Help!
  2. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

Don't pull something while stretching... save that for the dance floor!

I mostly focus on quads and calves.
  3. pygmalion

I like the quad and hamstring stretches, too. And here is a cool neck stretch I use a lot, since I hold stress in my neck, which is terrible for the posture. :x

Neck Stretch: Sit on the floor with your legs relaxed but straight out in front of you (some flex in the knee is fine). Place one hand under the thigh on the same side of your body (i.e. right hand, right thigh) Place the opposite hand on top of your head, and gently pull your head toward that shoulder ( in this case, left shoulder). Straight down is fine, but if you shift your head around a little, you can generally find a spot where you can feel the stretch relieve more tension. Hold for 20 - 30 seconds, then release and do the other side. Yummy stretch! :D
  4. SwinginBoo

SwinginBoo New Member

Good one Jenn. That helped me a lot. I've had considerable pain in my back and neck lately.

I like to do calf and hamstring stretches. It helps with running and dancing, since I tend to get really stiff there. To stretch my calves I lean forward pressing both hands into the wall, bring one foot forward -- knee bent, and put other leg backwards -- pressing calf into the floor.

For hamstrings I sit on the floor, right leg straight out, left leg turned inwards on the floor so that bottom of left foot is touching the inside of right leg. Lean forward and grab hold of right foot. This is a good one.

So relaxing
  5. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Taken from 24 Hour Fitness:

6. Sarah

Sarah New Member

After one too many posts asking how to learn to do the splits a guy called Brad Appleton did a bit of research and came up with the rec.martial-arts stretching faq. You might find it useful.

http://www.bradapp.net/docs/rec/stretching/

Cheers
    Sarah
  7. danceguy

danceguy New Member

Hi Jenn,

Have you ever taken any Yoga classes? I've met a lot of dancers who complement their study of dance with yoga practice...in one group I used to belong to one of the students was an avid dancer and performer...one of my inspirations for learning to dance actually. :)

I've been doing yoga for about 5 years...and it's really helped with my total body flexibility, plus it is so relaxing. Once you learn the basics you can customize it to your particular needs...whch is great for the day after a late night dance-athon...give it a try if you haven't already! :wink:
  8. SDsalsaguy

Wow Sarah, fantastic resource! Thanks!!! :notworth:
  9. pygmalion

Thanks for all the great suggestions, guys. :D

Yes, I do an occasional yoga class, and they are great. But I can only fit it in from time to time, because the rest of my fitness routing is really ambitious. There's only so much time. *shrug* :?
  10. pygmalion

By the way, there was an article on yoga as the perfect exercise for dancers -- I believe in a recent issue of Dance Teacher or Dance magazine? Did anybody happen to read it? I just saw the caption while I was waiting for my dance lesson to start, and didn't get to read the whole article.
  11. danceguy

danceguy New Member

There's only so much time...can I ever relate to that! So many hobbies...so many dance steps to practice...24 hours a day just isn't enough anymore.

I try to always stretch as needed throughout the day...especially working with computers...I'll tense up right away if I don't.

Also...have you ever tried Somatics? There are a lot of quick exercises you can do for a good stretch...I'm just not very good at explaining them by writing... :shock:
  12. pygmalion

Somatics? No, but I will look into it. Quick streteches I can fit into the rest of my day are exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks. :D
  13. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

--I forsee the use of google in this thread's very near future!--
  14. SDsalsaguy

What else do your psychic talents reveal SK? :wink:
  15. pygmalion

Oh fine! Just treat me bad! Just for that, I'm going to look it up, and not report back! So there. :tongue: :lol:
  16. SDsalsaguy

Do you promise??? :D

:wink: :lol: :tongue:
  17. pygmalion

Ha! Now I know what it is, and you don't! :tongue: :lol:
  18. SDsalsaguy

And of course you are the only one who is allowed to google! How could I have forgot??? :shock: :shock: :shock: What was I thinking???
  19. pygmalion

No, I'm not the only one allowed. ... I'm seemingly the only one who does it, at least for the sake of the forums. Ha! :shock: :lol: :tongue:
  20. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

The Great SwingKittino predicts that Jenn will not hold a grudge for poking friendly fun at her google enthusiasm (which I share btw).

At least she should hold it very long :hope: