Stretches for Dancers

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by pygmalion, Oct 17, 2003.

1. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

DH must love that. ;)
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

:) not so much...fortunately for him that is most likely to occur on nights when I am in indy
  3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

A hot bath will probably help with the insomnia, either way. If it's a muscle thing, it will loosen them. But if it's just about insomnia, a hot bath should help too.

This thread isn't about insomnia, but ... have you tried those lavender bath salts or tablets? I'm pretty sure that Wal-Mart, Target and the dollar store all sell lavender bath thingies. Hot bath = good for stiff muscles. Lavender is supposed to help you sleep. Two birds with one stone. :-D

4. Tight muscles do result from exercising without stretching, so do try it. Also I find giving my calves/quads etc a good deep massage by pushing my thumb in where it is tight really helps release the knots.
  5. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Did stretching the last two nights before going to bed and no problems so maybe this is all I need rather than taking medications. It probably also helps that I was dancing last night.
  6. pygmalion

That's good to hear. I was wondering. A big bag of bath salts is never a bad thing, though. :wink:
  7. Spitfire

Or a heating pad.
  8. pygmalion

Add in some warm milk and I'm your girl. :wink: :-D
  9. Spitfire

Let's dance!
  10. pygmalion

Any time! :-D
  11. Spitfire

Say tomorrow night at the AM in Phoenix; the local chapter USADance? :cool:

Oh, that's right; that would be a little out of the way for you.

BTW-I haven't seen our good friends Henry and Olivia lately.
  12. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Put on your red shoes and dance the blues.
  13. BreAna

BreAna Member

I'm pretty flexible in the sense that I've been able to achieve my goals of doing splits, straddles, etc., however, there is still one goal that I have yet to attain.

I think it's so gorgeous when a lady slowly extends her leg so that her foot is in the air and her legs make a straight line, perpendicular to the floor. I've seen it done on youtube videos of pros dancing Rumba and Bolero.

I can lift my ankle to the desired position for a second or 2, but then I need to release it. Unless I kick or pull my leg up, I can barely get it above parallel to the floor!

What do I need to do to accomplish this feat?
  14. OMG BreAna .. I've seen people get close to it ...

I think you'd need a stunt double. If I tried anything remotely close to that I'd need a doctor!

GL trying to achieve that though.