Student Challenges Prevalent in the Pro-am Structure

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

agree with all above my wife and i dance am am and the additional practice time in partnership helps my pro am and vice versa
  2. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

o

totally agree i would not pick a pro if i had to share her in my age/level
  3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

if you live in an area where there are enough awesome pros that you can be that choosey, that is great...if not, I would rather have the awesome pro and wait my turn than have a mediocre one all to myself
  4. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

Absolutely agreed.
  5. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

What they said.
  6. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

Standard dancers just want to have fun
    j_alexandra likes this.
  7. sambagirl

sambagirl Member

I totally agree with this - my practice time for Pro-Am is differently allocated than in an Am-Am partnership, and I really miss the latter. If I could find a suitable Am partner I would go back to that in a second as I really prefer the experience of developing a partnership (as frustrating as it can be at times).

It was great to meet you at USDC, latingal!
  8. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Hi sambagirl! Just saw this....I'm still figuring out the new format and the like on the forums! Was really great meeting you, hope to see you at the next one?
  9. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

yes, luckily i can be that choosey! :)
    j_alexandra likes this.
  10. latingal

Looking at another issue that I think is particularly challenging to some of us in Pro-am..."Owning your own dancing".

I think unlike most amateur and pro couples, when we dance with a partner we are always being "taught", we never have the breathing space to simply practice and create our dancing within the partnership.

I personally find it very difficult to bring my own personality to the dancing being in the pro-am structure for so many years. It's gotten to be such a habit to work on the mechanics of dancing in a highly technical way, I've found that I need a technical explanation of how to bring myself to my dancing -- rather ridiculous.... :confused:
  11. singndance

singndance Well-Known Member

Very interesting....I recently had a session with a coach without my pro, and the coach said this exact thing to me..."you have to own your own dancing." She explained it was important to step up and take more responsibility for what I bring to the floor rather than "hang back" and wait for my pro to coax and cajole or strangle it out of me every performance. That hit me like a ton of bricks because I am not in any way, shape, or form his partner. I am his student, my dancing is so much lower than his, and I rely on his teaching me. But she told me I have to get over that and start looking at myself as more capable, more his partner, and really dancing.

Unlike you, Latingal, I have no problem bringing my own personality to the floor. My problem is stepping up the technique to be more in sync with the personality so people don't think "what the heck is she doing?????" But when concentrating on the technique stamps out the personality.

Sometimes I just want to forget about the whole competing thing and just enjoy dancing, for the fun of it. I'll own it, it just might not be what the judges want to see.
  12. latingal

LOL...sometimes easier said than done for some of us....

Yea, I think a lot of it has to do with personality type in how easily we bring ourselves to the floor. I know with some people, like you singndance, this comes quite naturally! And I find it to be much easier for me to do in my am partnership. But as soon as I get back in to my pro-am partnership, I revert back to my head being crowded with thoughts and trying to make sure I accomplish everything we've worked on on the floor. It gets quite noisy in my head...LOL! It's something I'm learning to switch off now, but it hasn't come easily....
    sambagirl likes this.
  13. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

Latingal
    Last week my pro repeated something to me that his coach said to him. Liked!

He said that technique will create the feeling, while feeling alone will never create technique...
    cornutt, latingal, frotes and 2 others like this.
  14. fascination

LG...I totally get this....not because I have trouble bringing my own personality to the floor (most of the time controlling it a tad is the larger issue)...but because I can let the disparity gap between my pro and I get in my head....but I am doing much better with that now....what helps me is to remember that this is not teacher-student in the ways in which we all experienced as young children...I remind myself often that this is not adult/child...I remind myself of my accomplishments inside and outside of dance.... and of my abilities to execute technically to a high enough degree that, while it may not be where I would like it to be, isn't something to be ashamed of it either...and that if my pro is (ashamed of it), then making it better is on both of us..... but, in the meantime I have earned my right to dance without fear or embarrassment (I can save that for when the video comes out)....my dad always taught me when golfing to never leave the ball short....I think the same applies in dancing....however, it is hard not to be cautious when you are dancing with someone whose skill is intimidating, even if unintentionally....
  15. frotes

frotes Member

Wow yes
  16. sambagirl

sambagirl Member

This is why I really cherished my am partnerships - I became a much better dancer, rather than just a good student, through them.

Always looking for that balance, though - technique, connection (as a partner), performance....sigh.
    Bailamosdance likes this.
  17. fascination

I can see how that might be true as well, from just the minimal experience that I have had with a practice partner...which is why I, for one, am always happy to practice with someone who might not be at the level that I am at.... because it puts me in a different set of circumstances that still helps me to grow
    Terpsichorean Clod likes this.
  18. sambagirl

sambagirl Member

Yes! Sometimes when I see discussions of pro-am vs. am-am I am a bit distressed to see the emphasis on "I get to focus on my own dancing." Because in am-am partnerships I also had to focus on my own dancing, and if my am partner couldn't give me what my pro partners had, the onus was on me to find a way to still be able to produce.
  19. fascination

it's not even a discussion I care to have...there are advantages and pitfalls to both....they are different
  20. sambagirl

sambagirl Member

Exactly my thought