Student Challenges Prevalent in the Pro-am Structure

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, Jul 17, 2012.

1. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

Funny thing about a message board. One really never knows who they will inspire when you make a post.... I loved what you had to say Fasc... hope it helps Latingal too.
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

3. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

It is such a interesting journey, isn't it?

Made some breakthroughs the last couple of days on this subject as all the pieces began to fall in to place. Things that you have heard over and over, but couldn't really get to work because all the factors had not yet converged to make it possible.

It's been a dizzying week, but I'm hoping that the changes that came to the fore today in my dancing are here for a long stay!

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts and comments...always great to hear what others have found helpful in their situations!!
  4. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

I agreed with you here 100%. It IS challenging. And while we've covered it here - possibly even in this same thread - in the past, I think some of it comes down to personality, and a lot of it comes down to what Fasc said about reminding yourself that you have nothing to feel inferior about as a student just because you are a pro. On the other hand, part of the problem I always have in this arena is that, being pro-am, no matter how much I own MY dancing, I cannot own OUR dancing. As partner dancing, with the disparity between pro and am, it will always be more difficult (not impossible, I think, just more difficult) to create that ellusive "third" thing on the floor that separates two people dancing independently from a partnership truly working together and creating the whole. While I love pro-am and am in zero hurry to leave it, I do struggle with this sometimes. Owning my own dancing is important, of course, but doesn't do any dang good whatsoever if I'm dancing as an individual.
    Bailamosdance likes this.
  5. fascination

I think this is surmountable....I mean, I obviously think my pro is astonishingly talented and I have to pinch myself on a regular basis that I am able to dance with him...that being said, he's a human being, and after almost 5 years I know enough about him to be able to see him not only as my teacher but also as a mere mortal ..and I think it is essential to being able to interact with him on the floor with the sort of interplay and integrity that is necessary to having it not look like a fear-based interaction....so, I have gotten to the place where I feel that it is simply another thing that has to happen in order for me to progress...and therefore, it will
    GGinrhinestones likes this.
  6. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I don't really worry about that much--if I can dance up to them, they'll take care of their end. (That's a big if. It's usually more like they need to dial it down to me.) I just try to look like I'm enjoying myself.
  7. fascination

I don't want my pro to have to dial it down...the degree to which he has to do that will always bother me
  8. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

LOL, last week in dance lesson we were working on a movement where I should be driving the movement... I was so exhausted and I had the nerve to say to pro I am doing all the work... Good thing he is rather nice....so he smiles at me and said well, no, you are finally taking responsibility for your part of the partnership... I am simply not dancing your part anymore...
    Bailamosdance likes this.
  9. fascination

right...there are many occasions when mine decides it is time to show me the level at which I am dancing versus the level at which he is dancing....I am usually very grateful for that...I want to feel where it needs to be...but, at the end of 4 lessons, I usually don't find it amusing :)
  10. danceronice

Want them to? No. Know they're doing it because there's absolutely no need to do what they're fully capable of? Yep. The length of time I've been dancing versus what any one of my teachers has means it's unlikely I'll ever catch up fully (heck, I don't think I'll ever be in PHYSICAL shape to get there-though if there's one thing they do tend to understand it's 30+ feels older when you started a sport at 7), and at this point if anything it would not look good to have a teacher selling it like it's the finals at Blackpool while a bronze student flails trying to keep up.
  11. fascination

yes, certainly the degree to which a pro can let it rip depends greatly upon the level of the student
  12. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Yes, and if the pro overpowers the student... it does not present well. One of the things about pro am dancing is that we always have to accept that we simply are not as good a dancer as our pro, yet somehow be able to still feel confident with what we can do when we are out there.
  13. danceronice

I feel better about that, actually. If I were the better partner, I'd be a wreck. I dance much better when I don't have to worry about the person driving. (Now, if I could just teach myself this about horses and stop buying green beans...)
  14. fascination

I don't accept that I am not as good as my pro...I know that I am not...but I don't accept it
  15. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

EXACTLY an am has to have this attitude to own their own dancing and contribute maximally to the partnership
  16. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Wow...like that Fasc and 4 styles! Interesting way of looking at it.
  17. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I think it's a sentiment my instructor would strong approve of my trying to embrace.
  18. KatNip

KatNip Member

OK, I need help with this. I dance pro-am with an instructor who has now shifted to judging local competitions. So this is limiting where/when I can compete. He has been judging at local competitions this past year so he has suggested that we compete triple-crown comps. This sounds outside of the budget. An amature partner might work but I have no idea where to find one at appropriate age/level/location. Sounds unworkable. That would mean stay with same pro-am but compete 1/year or find someone else. This hurts.
    I got into dancing expecting a good social experience but really I just love competing.
    Ouch.
  19. danceronice

....Find a new teacher? That would be my first thought.
  20. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Yup.

Step 1: New teacher.
    Step 2. Partner ad.