Student Challenges Prevalent in the Pro-am Structure

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, Jul 17, 2012.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

back to the praise issue; one person's white noise is another person's water of life....and therein lies the essence of the need to pick a pro that is the best mix of what one needs...there will be areas that are scratchy...but each of us has an order for what we need based upon where we have been and a whole bunch of other stuff
  2. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

And in which case he will no doubt tell you to keep your [darn] head left. ;)

I would loooove to be able to compete in just a black fitted shirt and tailored trousers than a tailsuit!
  3. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

on a related note, at my old studio, my pro and i would sometimes have coachings with the sutio owner. He and i would do a round for her to watch and then she would begin her coaching... my biggest pet peeve was that she would always start with, "well of course you are a beautiful and talented dancer, [insert a long spiel here with over the top praise]....... but of course there are some things we can fix..."

without fail, this REALLY got under my skin every single time. i really disliked that she started every coaching with a praise-filled spiel. She didnt need to soften the blow of the upcoming criticisms or try to protect/boost my ego... the reason i PAID for the coaching IS to receive constructive criticism. I always wanted to tell her to cut the crap and get to the point. For me, it was actually a very stressful way to start off the coaching.

Of course, I suppose she and her husband ran their studio reliant upon ego boosting to keep students coming back for another dose.
  4. canismajor41

canismajor41 Active Member

Me too! Or, the ladie's equivalent - a black practice skirt and scoop neck leotard. I can definately go without the fancy dresses. Most are uncomfortable, and make bathroom breaks a nightmare. On the same note, I could go without the fancy hairdos that require 2lbs. of product; a slicked back bun would suffice.

Makeup, on the other hand, that's another story. I love ballroom makeup! :D
  5. fascination

I would be in heaven if I could do latin in my black skort and my black scoop or a black cami...and a black shrug...I feel like I look reasonably hot in it for a 46 (almost 47) year old and it's comfortable and cool...that would be bliss...but again, I digress
  6. fascination

canis...ditto on let's not ruin my hair...and I will always want to put some war paint on :)
  7. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

Just as an FYI: If you were born in 1977 or earlier, you may wear the same kind of costume you would wear in pro-am in a USA Dance comp. And welcome to the Senior rank.
  8. bia

bia Active Member

Sorry to continue the digression, but I just wanted to chime in to thank Jude for your valiant support of us am syllabus ladies. I was restraining myself -- I know doi by now -- but I appreciate that the message got out. I personally feel pretty and very much in costume when competing, even though my dress (in my best color and style, with lovely full skirts, low back, built-in everything) happens to lack stones and floats. And with true comp hair and makeup, even without blingy hair jewelry. I will admit to looking forward to wearing gorgeous high-level gowns, but I consider that a reward for developing a level of dance suited to that level of gown. And again with the what-ifs, to bring us slightly back on topic -- I could imagine a challenge of pro-am for me would be the pressure to dress at the highest levels of bling from the beginning, and the expense that goes with that.
  9. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

(Assuming you have a partner that's also eligible to compete in Senior I. For example, I'm old enough to compete in that category myself (let me get out my cane and walker!), but am only going to be able to compete in adult with my scary-young partner.)
  10. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

Good point!

And congratulations to you on the partnership!
  11. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Reading all the "praise" comments, I think there is a difference between over the top effusive, meaningless praise, and quick acknowledgement of something done correctly and well. I happen to like the latter... but recognize that not everyone needs either. I am happy to work with someone who is an excellent fit for me. Regarding the style aspect of proam.. I love the gowns, would actually be happier with simpler makeup and hair that did not require a can of hairspray and 100 pins.
  12. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Back to the OP's question at the beginning... when the competition music starts...do you think... I'm dancing with my partner or I'm dancing with my teacher?
  13. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

It was more or less hammered into me that when the competition music starts I need to think of him as my partner and dance accordingly.
  14. fascination

for me, this depends largely (almost entirely) upon my pro...if he is in a "let's do this together and have fun rocking it" sort of mood, then that is, by far, my preference...but if he is in a very stern corrective sort of posture for the day, then viewing him as a partner is an uphill battle regarding having any capacity to beleive I have a right to do so and won't look like a fool trying...I have to beleive that he thinks I've earned that in order to do it will the full degree of freedom and confidence that is neccessary....I can affect a pretty good faux attempt, but it is much harder for it to be authentic if we are still very much in corrective posture
  15. canismajor41

canismajor41 Active Member

This is my experience too. Although I will try starting out, not thinking of the teacher/student relationship, and then it all goes to hell when I hear him yelling things like "right arm!" or "center!" while dancing.
  16. fascination

my pro doesn't yell...for which I am very grateful...but if there becomes a point in time when it seems as if I am disappointing him by virtue of more than a few earnest, terse corrections, then I have alot of trouble rehabilitating my self-image.....I am working on this now from a variety of angles...personally, and with him
  17. lorenzof

lorenzof New Member

Our coach likes to do a "praise sandwich". First praise, then the constructive criticism, then more praise.
  18. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

LOL...I'm afraid I don't even get that far in the first couple of rounds....it's more like "you mean I'm supposed to dance, like now!?!?". Gads....I'm lucky if in the first round I even acknowledge I HAVE a partner. LOL!

(okay, it's not that bad - but sometimes it feels like that)
  19. fascination

I hear that as well...takes me two rounds just to get the adrenalin levels down to manageable....he's usually standing there looking at me like I've gone beserk :)
  20. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

LOL....I can so relate.