Studio Lighting

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by lcdancesport, Jul 14, 2009.

1. lcdancesport

lcdancesport Active Member

So what is the best kind of lighting for a studio? Recessed lighting which can dim for parties seems like a good option, but maybe some people have better ideas. Florescent lighting is just too artificial and harsh on the eyes.

2. kayak

kayak Active Member

If the ceilings are high enough, track lighting works pretty well. For example, lighting the walls and letting the reflected light hit the dance floor is rather comfortable.

3. lcdancesport

I was thinking track lighting and sconces on walls, just to soften it all.

4. Al Gisnered

Al Gisnered Member

One of the major expenses in running a studio is electric service, both for lighting and for cooling, so don't rule out fluorescent lighting. The savings in energy use will enormous. I understand your hesitation about fluorescent, though. You need to look at the latest model fixtures - styles that hide the lamp itself and use a High Output, "color corrected" lamp. Fluorescent lamps with a color temperature of 3000K (no higher) will give you a pleasantly soft light and a Color Rendering Index above 85 makes people and things look real, not ghostly or harsh. You can then add incandescent fixtures as accents to round out the color sense and add some drama in the studio. About a 60% - 70% fluorescent/40% - 30% incandescent mix will probably work well. It'll be attractive, flexible and energy efficient at the same time. Everything should be on dimmers - even the fluorescent lights. Your electrician will just need to make sure that the fixture and control match and that fluorescent and incandescent fixtures are on separate circuits.

By the way, watch out for track lighting if you intend to have mirrors. The glare can be very annoying - even blinding if you catch the reflection just wrong.

5. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

Also price the replacement bulbs/elements for whatever you pick... there are choices that will end up costing a small fortune.

In fact it might not be a good idea to get 1 example of a candidate fixture and run it for a while before buying a bunch.

6. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Al. I am sure cost is not a consideration to the studio public. But only becomes apparent to the managing directors after the fact.

7. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Take a look at other studios in area that have good lighting. Bear in mind though that the height of your ceilings and amount of mirror space you ahve on walls (and how lights are directed or not, ta both) will definitely affect how lights work in your space.

8. lcdancesport

Did some research and recessed lighting with halogen bulbs seems to work, even though they may be more expensive. Another thing to take into consideration is mercury upon disposal when the bulb is done for. They would be more energy efficient AND new technology is coming out where LED bulbs will be their replacement, fitting into the same recessed fixture, making the bulb last longer.

Incandescent is nice, but doesn't last as long. Good enough for office lighting or perhaps wall fixtures.

Sconces would be a good option for the walkways, and used during parties when less light is needed.

Track lighting is more practical for merchandise, probably not the floor itself.

I saw something new today, they have a strip of tape with led lights on them. Great for trimming something and it's full spectrum lighting, so you can change the colors and set it to whatever you like. It's pretty cool.

[​IMG]

9. lcdancesport

Thanks Al, this is some good input. I'm not completely opposed to fluorescent, especially when it is more cost efficient. With having recessed lighting where the fixture itself can set off a nice light, versus the typical office tube ceiling panels will make a big difference.

I think this is what you are referring to when it comes to the color index:
    http:// w w w . energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=cfls.pr_cfls_color

10. Al Gisnered

Al Gisnered Member

Yup. I think 2700 Kelvin is a little low, however. 3000K is better for people and is available in just about every size and configuration.

By the way, while the LED's look attractive, beware of them for anything other than decorative "look-at" light. While they are energy efficient, and seem to come in lots of colors, they shed a very limited range of color. I don't know of any manufacturer who will give you a Color Rendering Index on the white ones, it's so poor. The tech isn't where it will be in ten years.

11. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I've replaced a bunch of incandescents in my house with CFLs and you really can't tell the difference in the light quality. They do take a minute to come up to operating temperature or maximum light output, but I don't think that's a very big issue in a studio setting. I certainly don't care too much at home. You may have trouble fitting them in fixtures designed for incandescents in some situations, though.

12. Yanou

Yanou Member

Word of caution for halogen bulbs. They produce extreme heat and can be fire hazard.

As for track lighting, my old studio had it and the glare was almost blinding. This may become a big problem for standard/smooth dancers who need to look up.

13. Al Gisnered

Al Gisnered Member

True. While well designed fixtures reduce the potential hazard they are expensive, as are the replacement bulbs (which don't last all that long in relation to the cost).

What he said! Truly!

14. Yanou

Yanou Member

15. Al Gisnered

Al Gisnered Member

oops
    sorry
    :oops:
    would you believe it if i said it's a figure of speech?

16. Yanou

Yanou Member

yep. English is not my mother tongue, so I tend to take things literally.:eek:

17. lcdancesport

I would definitely get CFL bulbs for any incandescent fixtures, they last so long!

Track lighting would be in a room separate from the floor, just to highlight merchandise.

18. lcdancesport

As far as recessed lighting, CFL or halogen bulbs would work, based on the fixture, right?

How about I scrap the whole thing and go with tiki torches! That'll spice things up. lol

19. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Plus you can repel mosquitos!