Studios that hold/don't hold open dances

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Spitfire, Apr 20, 2003.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Yes. Dancers must dance. Have fun and much success at your comp. And when you're done, please come back and tell us how things went.

Take care. :D

Jenn
  2. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Good luck Alicia!!! :D
  3. samba ajr

samba ajr New Member

Thanks everyone for your support. The comp is still over a month away, but I'm doing every dance but polka and have a bit of work to do. No offense--next comp I'll be doing that too!

This will be my first "take a plane to get there" comp, in Puerto Rico in November. Anyone else going? We can have a Dance Forums get-together :idea: (as suggested in another topic).

Alicia
  4. pygmalion

Puerto Rico! Sounds fun. A couple folks in the forum are quite active competitors (although I'm not yet :cry: ), so, if you have any questions, be sure to post. I'm sure these folks will be glad to answer, or just support and commiserate. Whatever you need!

Best of Luck! :D

Jenn
  5. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

I don't have set plans to go but I would like to. I am also looking forward to a comp coming up in the bahamas :]
  6. pygmalion

Ballroom Competition -- Where is the Info?

The Bahamas would be nice. But I'm finding, quite by accident, that there are lots of small local competitions pretty much anywhere you look. For example, here in Orlando, there has been a competition at least every six to eight weeks this year. Unfortunately, for the most part, I found out at the last minute. Where do you find out about these things? Are there websites or mailing lists out there?
  7. emanuela

emanuela New Member

... hmmm ... I told the owner of the studio where I'm taking lessons that I was going to a milonga (and this studio doesn't even teach argentine tango), and he had a weird reaction ... I was wondering what was that all about. My instructor even called me after few days to know what I was thinking about Argentine Tango. I was honest; I told him that I like it as I like ballroom dancing. If they have a problem with me going somewhere else it's their problem ... geez!!! I'm sure my instructor called me because the owner told him to ... :x .
  8. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

I could most definitely handle a competition in the Bahamas!

As for the studio dances, there are quite a few places in the Boston area to go on a given weekend. My issue is that I usually don't like to drive over an hour by myself. I know....lame excuse. I just feel "safety in numbers." And here, you really have to keep track of what dances are happening, because one big one on a Saturday night at "x" will diminish the numbers of available leads at place "y".

If you're a lead, you are pretty fortunate around here because many places let you in for free. You are a "dance host" for the evening.
  9. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Hmmm... Maybe I move to your area? :wink: :)
  10. mamboqueen

As long as you save some dances for me :)
  11. Angelo

Angelo New Member

I live in her area and I've only gotten in for free once. Maybe I am not going to the right places
  12. mamboqueen

I'll pm ya!