Styles of Tango

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by tangobro, Dec 7, 2012.

1. tangobro

tangobro Active Member

On this board, as well as among some teachers & dancers, I've heard statements like "there are no styles of Tango". In this vid one couple explores some of the varieties of Tango dancing. Are they different styles?

you decide.

a History of Tango - danced by Sebastian Arce & Mariana Montes in Bucharest

they dance to:
    Invierno – Franciso Canaro – “Canyengue” an old style currently recreated primarily from written accounts & the memories of those who observed the dance as small children.

De Que Podemos Hablar – Carlos DiSarli – “Salon” style popular in the outer neighborhoods like Villa Urquiza in the 1950’s.

Ansiedad – Juan D’Arienzo – “Centro” style popular in the central neighborhoods of Buenos Aires & popularized outside of Argentina as“Milonguero” style.

Estampa De Varon - Juan D’Arienzo – Milonga.

Esta Noche de Luna – Osvaldo Pugliese – “Fantasia” a style for performance.

Fueye – Roberto Goyneche –“ Nuevo” a style evolving from the previous styles.

2. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

"Canyengue is a constant quebrada. The knees keep on bending: the bodies stay "down" as the couples revolve, each inclined against the others chest."

What they are doing to Invierno, written in 1937, doesn't look much like the written description. It seems like an odd choice for canyengue, but then...

Thompson has a LOT more to say about canyegue. I wonder though, as David Bryne wrote in the Forward to Thompson's book, "Other portenos will deny that tango has any Afro roots whatsoever..."

Gotta go.

3. Subliminal

Subliminal Well-Known Member

Doesn't really look like Canyengue to me either.

I would have expected more close turns in their central dancing, but it was a fast song I guess.The rest is ok though. :)

4. LKSO

LKSO Active Member

Canyengue is a style of dance done to a certain style of music. The music comes first. Then the dance.
    Most demonstrations of canyengue isn't actually canyengue since they are dancing to tango with the arms held low. If it looks odd, it probably is since that isn't canyengue.

From the sound of the word 'canyengue', it is of African origin, which highly suggests the music has percussive qualities to it.

The music is probably heavily influenced by the candombe, the drums used in the bantu-speaking regions of Africa which was brought to South America probably during slavery. The percussive nature of candombe music compels the listener to stamp the feet rhythmically and quickly, which means that they dance low to the ground with knees bent and back lurched forward to lower their center of balance.

5. tangobro

tangobro Active Member

Canyengue was an Argentine social dance in the 1880's & early 1900's & is cited by dance historians as one of the early predecessors of Tango. Ernest Williams spent some time in Argentina where he learned about Canyengue & currently includes Canyengue workshops & performances in his Tango teaching.

A Canyengue performance by Ernest & Anna in the USA:

6. tangobro

tangobro Active Member

Canyengue performance @ about 1:03 by Rodolfo & Maria Cieri, a couple who has helped to recreate for current generations the dance that Rodolfo observed in his childhood.

7. LKSO

LKSO Active Member

It just looks like milonga to me in the first video. In the second video, the music is tango, so it just looks like a comic operetta.

Unless we know exactly what kind of music is played during canyengue, we won't know what the dance actually looks like.

8. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Hi tangobro! If styles simply are styles I must heavily confirm the existence of distinct styles.
    But if styles are burning barricades, then I must deny anything like that, of course.
    I always assaulted these one-style-only dancers. For me the music comes first, and then I try to adjust (as far as I can) my dancing to the stylistic ideals of that time and genre.

It is impossible for me to watch this vid, because it is banned in Germany. Currently also every free proxy is over-dotted. So I only can speculate: I had several privates with Sebastian and I do can approve his deep tango knowlgdge. I cannot imagine that he would perform canyengue to non-canyengue music. Invierno (excepting the very first bars) is guardia-nueva style and thus Sebastian surly will have allocated early salón or salón-liso style to it.

Honestly, d'Arienzo did not play neither in del-celtro bars nor central confiterias. He was the pop star of the sports halls and thus I call the corresponding dancing style simply estilo-club, club style.

9. opendoor

Also day over none of 5 free proxy server was able to play that vid. Really seems to be deeply protected :(

10. tangobro

tangobro Active Member

maybe this YT post from a different source is not banned

but if it is banned because of music copyright issues here is a version with the audio removed (except for some non - tango filler music near the last minute).

http://www.youtube.com/my_videos_edit?ns=1&video_id=NEH6DPehKFE

opendoor likes this.
  11. opendoor

Thanks so much, bro!! It works.
    @Start Indeed canyengue tending towards orillero in the second half (and unfortunately a Mariana who doesn´t really gets herself into it) But as stated above, the music still doesn´t fit to the dance style.

@3:30 Really delicious and also hilarious how Sebastian takes the audience for a ride. Don´t know if those people really understand his caustic irony on modern (Los-Pérez´) VU-style (watch the bobbing, watch the stork walk and his excessive parody of enrosque-sequencias). But I fear that the audience really is taken with after 10 years of aesthetic indroctrination by perfectly blue-printed and championship-honored VU-stylists.

@6:40 club-style (del-centro with giros) . But I don´t know why Sebastian puts on such a bored or stressed face?

@ 09:00 I´m not that deep into milonga to identify sub-styles and periods. Only recognized some of that gimmicks typical for Juan Bruno.

@11:00 I´m not at one with you on this. The music is close to fantasía, but for me anyway still salón (typical manerist 50s style, but still composed for dancing), for me anyway. Also Sabastian´s dancing is still quite salón-ish (figures being interrupted by walking, LOD-orientation, and the maintaining of a hold). But agreed, the flexibility of that hold and the attitude in general is tending towards fantasía. At that 13:28 enrosque-lapiz-planeo-colgada-combination (any more?) I find Sebastián for the first time dancing with an authentical expression. To give an exactly address: perhaps this performance may honore the impact of that legandary Club-Nelson crowd on the developement on modern tango as an own art form.

@14:40 Because of the absence of walking and the total occupation of the dance floor, the zick-zack actions, the whatever-ism of any hold this clearly is escenario. But what acutally did surprise me was the expressed carelessness. Remember, this should be Sebastian´s homeland. Does he actually distances himself from his own teacher?

12. jantango

jantango Active Member

D'Arienzo was the regular orquesta for years in cabaret chantecler on Parana in the city and around the corner to the cafes and confiterias along corrientes. The owner named him El Rey de compas.

It is strange that Bucarest imported this couple when El Flaco Dany (75) is there all the time.

13. tangobro

tangobro Active Member

I think I saw YT vids or something on the net about a tribute that was given for El Flaco Dany in Bucarest sometime in 2011. Here is a relatively recently posted vid of him dancing Milonga (which he is famous for) in Bucarest.

14. tangobro

tangobro Active Member

I wonder how easy it to find typical Canyengue music in Bucarest?

Glad you caught the nuances.

I thought it was interesting to see how they showed elements of earlier styles were retained in later styles, and in some cases how they evolved. For example the dancing with bent knees signifying the quebrada at the beginning of the canyengue, then ending the canyengue piece with the more upright stance & the change of hand position from hip to shoulder level, a change that was said to have begun about the time of Petroleo (think it was Petroleo, not checking references right now).

15. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Only watched the first half, but, "Bravo", I say.

16. opendoor

Would really be interested in your opinion: if you would think that the audience in Chantecler was dancing so differently that it was not appropriate to label their style also as club?

17. tangobro

tangobro Active Member

not sure how you would define the characteristics of club style, but from what I've heard, the musical style preferred by dancers in the cafes & confiterias in the central city of Buenos Aires was typified by Juan D'Arienzo. Compared with musical style of DiSarli preferred in the salons of the outer neighborhoods like Villa Urquiza & Parque Patricios

18. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

I finally got around to watching the video (better late than never, I hope). Thanks for posting this. A few of the styles I had heard of, but wasn't sure what they were. This was very informative.

[​IMG]

19. opendoor

Simply as confiteria style (del celtro) with giros, as said above. In the golden age craze the milongas moved to bigger locations (sporting and social clubs) and the people adapted their dancing to the new environments. As we discussed elsewhere (think it was the YT interview with Cacho Dante) the club and the salón attendees did not really mix that days. Think dChester was really surprised because he always used to identify salón with saloon instead of salon and club with nightclub instead of sporting club.

http://www.tejastango.com/tango_styles.html#club

http://jantango.wordpress.com/category/clubes-de-barrio

And happy christmas to all of you!!

20. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

I don't recall being surprised at all. I simply said that your definition of salon is more narrow than mine.

opendoor likes this.