Suggestions for Picture lines

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by smidra86, Feb 5, 2013.

1. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

I have this part in our waltz where I have the option of a picture line. The one we currently do is rather generic and somewhat boring. I have been trying out different things if something would work and look nice but so far I've been really, really unsuccessful. The problem is in smooth, although our coach suggested that we try some latin lines if maybe we can fit something in better, since our choreography is rather latin based in most of our dances. Anyway, my body placement is over my right foot and he is holding my left hand, so I can make really any line and I have maybe 1 count of 3.

Do you guys have any suggestions? I'm a very visual person, so videos and pictures would be wonderful. I have a hard time imagining things when someone tries to explain it to me.

Thanks. :)
  2. jjs914

jjs914 Active Member

What line do you currently make that is generic? That might help in visualizing where you are and what else you could do instead.
  3. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

The line that you see in this video, at about 0:46
  4. jjs914

jjs914 Active Member

Got it. So essentially a burst line, stepping back on the right foot, connected to the left hand. I'll think about it.

I'm always hearing that I don't explore enough as far as different lines go...so I may not be much help...but we'll see!

:)
    smidra86 likes this.
  5. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

The present line looks to me somewhat disconnected because you are in shadow position from the waist down, but from the waist up it looks like you are doing something that would be more appropriate if you were on opposite feet. If you are going to be in shadow position with similar leg lines, you might try to find something where you can be in shadow in the upper body and arm lines as well, such as a fencing line.
  6. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Not to mention you could probably improve the existing line by being connected through the shoulders. It doesn't look like your arms are connected.
    Warren J. Dew likes this.
  7. Jananananana

Jananananana Active Member

That's right smidra... dance betterer. geeze. :D
  8. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

Well, its a new step that we put in, so we are still working on it, but the idea is still to change the line because it is too common and too generic. Basically its an "everyone does it" line and we want to change the look.
  9. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

That is an ongoing problem in my own dancing that I've been working on.

Can't do any better than first....
  10. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

Or you can develop it and make it an "everyone does it -- and we do it so much better than everybody else" line. :)
  11. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Dance it properly and you won't need to change it.
  12. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

I think Larinda would have fixed it if she felt that we should keep it in the choreography, but she pretty explicitly said to find a different picture line than one that everyone does, hence why I ask.
  13. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

since i dont know you which dress are you in??
  14. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

well I should be the only couple you can see at 0:46/0:47 but I'm in the bright pink.
  15. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

you are closest to the camera so i thought so

to modify the line i would use a sweetheart head position

id rather her partner canter or syncopate( since she is spinning) so they are on opposite feet and extend away in a more true "explosion" with sweetheart head position connecting hip to hip away

actually this line is nice the return should be a double with a hold for light and shade in speed ( 1 and a 2 hold three would be cool)

all that said you dance lovely!!
    :)
  16. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

Examples/pictures? I'm not exactly sure what kind of line you are trying to describe...

And thank you.
  17. Warren J. Dew

That would work too - basically changing the legs to match the top, instead of changing the top to match the legs as in my suggestion.
  18. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

Well to be perfectly honest, both the top and legs can change. I have tried like a rumba line and an arabesque in all different directions etc... so really both can change together if need be

but I still don't understand what the line you are trying to explain should look like.
  19. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

How about something along the lines of the Perzhus at 4:20:

Easy enough for the gentleman to get into a check position by planting a foot a beat early, and the shape for you, smidra, would be more about the counterbalance between hips and head and about the connection to your partner?
  20. Warren J. Dew

This is roughly what I was suggesting, though here the legs are crossed on both partners rather than open on both partners as in your line:

foxtrot_opening.jpg

I believe this is roughly what Mr 4 styles was suggesting:

viennese_opening.jpg