Superstition in Tango

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by opendoor, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

Absolutely. Same in BR. many need to learn that dance is, I like to say, 30% technique (the handbook), and 70% feeling.
  2. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Certain customs may be OK (cabaceo, etc.), as long as they facilitate dancing. Others just don't make any sense at all.

It's a little bit like certain religious proscriptions...they may have had good reasons for those back in the day, but nowadays they're followed pretty much solely for the sake of following them.
  3. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

Yeah, like "Thou Shalt Not Kill":p
  4. calandra

calandra New Member

The cyber tango post was interesting. It won't change what songs I do or don't like, but I might view differently the next guy I see grabbing his own crotch... ;)
    bordertangoman likes this.
  5. Light Sleeper

Light Sleeper New Member

'Get Down and Get Widdit' I think has legs as a milonga/funk franchise - kewl :cool: :D
  6. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

I'm still wondering why one of you didn't just tell the woman the reason for the custom. Just saying it was "non-danceable" probably led her to believe you thought that it was not musically danceable and she had no idea you meant it was a social custom that had nothing to do with the musicality of the piece.

If in her mind, the music itself was easily danceable, then she probably figured either you were a bad leader/ dancer if you couldn't figure out how to move to it, or that you specifically just wanted to stop dancing with her. A little conversation might have gone a long way. If she had no idea about the custom and there were ANY other people dancing, she would have have no way to know it wasn't personal. If no one was dancing, then I would think she would question the whole thing further or appreciate an explanation.

Personally, I don't think I've ever heard of this custom either. I doubt the song has ever even been played at a milonga I've attended in the States because I rarely hear songs that have any vocal track. (many milongas around here play alot of neo anyway) It must not have been played at any milonga I attended in BA either, because every tanda was extremely crowded. There was no song for which the majority of people sat out. Everyone who could jam onto the floor always did.
  7. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

How can one understand or respect something they don't know about?
  8. Gssh

Gssh Active Member

But Piazzola being not the most danceable music is not a custom, it is (as far as such things go) true. I have danced to his music, and in general i feel that the way his music is set up (shifts in rhythms, moods, volume) is not very supportive of dancing. Observing people who dance to his music seems to me to support this - they tend to simply ignore major features of the pieces and use it just as a vaguely rhythmic background.

So i only rarely tend to dance to him anyway (too much emotional whiplash), but after this thread i will not dance to adios noninos anymore - i didn't know the history of this song, but now it would make me uncomfortable.

And Adios Muchachos - well, the question is if the idea that dancing to this to the last song gardel sang before he died in a plane crash is acceptable to you or not. Many people had a strong reaction to this song because it reminds them that they loved gardel, and that they lost him before his time. Kinda like if everybody would connect the same song with the assassination of JFK.

Would you be ok with a milonga in playing the star spangled banner as a alternative tango song? A Requiem? The internationale? Dixie?

But then i might weird - i always wonder what people are thinking when they use a Dies Irae as background music. And it makes me vaguely uncomfortable.

Gssh
  9. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

In general, things like this don't phase me. Music is meant to express, to move, to inspire, to remember... Any of it, all of it, none of it is valid. No one can ever tell you that how a song makes you feel is wrong. So if "Adios Nonino" inspires me, and I'm inspired to movement and connection with another human...I will act on that assuming there's a leader who feels the same. I refuse to put something in a box like that. It's not meant as disrespect (And, let's face it, both the men are dead and gone...who, truly, can get insulted? I'm not spitting on anyone's grave.)

As for the "Star Spangled Banner" or some other thing...it doesn't move me to dance like that. But, if it did, I would. I can see doing a beautiful, respectful dance to any number of gorgeous religious pieces...because that is how the music moves me, and inspires me to feel.

Edit to add: Although if anyone played the theme from St. Elmo's Fire, I most certainly couldn't dance to it. I've got horrible memories associated with it, and it makes me cry every time. But...to each their own. Regarding others' reaction to dancing to "Adios Muchachos," at some point in time the truest form of accepting is moving on...IMHO...
  10. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

You are right! :oops:

Greetings
  11. bastet

bastet Active Member

hurrr hurrr hurrr....;)
  12. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

Ha, ha, ha - its mi roots. You know, you can take the girl out of Deptford and all that...:rocker:
  13. opendoor

cross over threads

I agree totally to the following post. Because it fits into the context of superstitions and irrationalisms in TA as well.

14. opendoor

Why there are no di Sarli vids around?
    A bandoneón player and friend of mine replied to this question

15. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

In answer to the original post, since I live in America, I follow local/American customs and not those from BsAs "just because". There are a very few people here who feel Gardel shouldn't be danced to in general and that song in particular, but most just go ahead and dance. I find it a challenge to be able to dance to any song, even if it's "not tango." I find the dance in the song and make the most of it and my partner. Maybe the end result is not always "tango", but I honestly don't give a flip. I'm not there to live up to someone else's expectations of what tango is. I'm there to connect to a partner and dance beautifully and interpret the music. Same thing in WCS. It's very freeing to be able to say, "Maybe this song isn't really tango/wcs/whatever, but what the heck...let's see what we can do to it anyway!" Some of my favorite partners have been to BsAs several times and taken many lessons from traveling maestros, and they manage to do the same...which is why I like dancing with them.
  16. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

I love the dichotomy when the guru says "There are no steps and you just dance to the music" and then place 100 rules and codicils on what how and why you dance...
  17. sixela

sixela Active Member

It's actually not entirely internally inconsistent (but you're right it's ironic).

I won't play 'Adios Muchachos', but that 's out of respect for any porteño that might be around (or for anyone who knows the custom attached to it). But it's the DJ's job not to play it, not the dancers' job not to dance to it.

Although I confess I have refused to dance it once, but I just explained to my partner why I wouldn't dance it, and we did continue to dance the next tanda. I'm not superstitious, but that one started with 'Tú, el cielo y tú', and I can't help but feel that was the tango gods wanting to reward me ;-).
  18. opendoor

You get your teeth very often into tango recently. Is a new branch of business coming? ;)

on this one actually no defensive magic really helps!
    sixela likes this.