Sweating while dancing

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by kdogg, Jul 16, 2005.

1. kdogg

kdogg New Member

I'm a kind of person who doesn't take much to sweat. While I don't mind sweating playing sports, I hate it when I get drenched in sweat on the dance floor. While my unquenching thirst for dancing hasn't kept me from asking ladies to dance no matter how sweaty I get, I would rather look more presentable if there are ways to do it. Are there any sweat-proof shirts on the market? What ideas, suggestions fellow sweaty dancers have for me? :roll: Please share.
  2. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Wear breathable, light synthetics. Bring a towel. Wipe off after each dance. Drink ice-cold liquids. Wear reliable deodorant. Wear decent-smelling cologne. I am a woman & sweat like a hog when I dance salsa dura and don't dislike guys who sweat heavily, unless they reek. Take care!
  3. luh

luh Active Member

towel, second t-shirt

but over here, they don't seem to care too much. It happens quite often that sweat drops from our faces. you shouldn't try to not sweat either. It's good to have that. Normally people over don't care too much about that, since everybody is wet. Though the following theorie might be a little icky, but it really works that way - if everyone smells badly, it isn't that bad, because you won't notice it. Human nature is weird.
    luh
  4. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

I don't like the looks of T-shirts on guys AND they absorb sweat and DON'T dry! (Which is why I recommend synthetic fabrics) They also tend to hold the stinky smell even after laundering...
  5. luh

luh Active Member

you can wear t-shirts which are made out of synthetic fabrics.
    What i really i hate is when i get static while dancing with synthetic. i hate to give my partner a shock before dancing. guys - be careful about that.
    luh
  6. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

I'm only shocked when a guy grabs my butt! :lol:
  7. luh

luh Active Member

I hope you slap him!
    I think except A+P (a couple which is really good) nobody grabs there buts while dancing. The fun thing is - they do it, when they are dancing with someone else. Like A and Me and P and a follower, it's like a little battle. Really fun. Always fits to the music :D
    luh
  8. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

It's pretty humid here so we don't get much static electricity, so many people wear synthetics. Not much butt-grabbing either these days, now that you mention it. I'll have to see what I can do... 8) :lol:
  9. kdogg

kdogg New Member

Thanks for the tips guys. I don't see much butt-grabbing where I dance at, but I did have a few ladies touch my face while dancing, and they're not drunk, and I don't think I've a baby face. What are they trying to communicate when they do that? Help me out here. I don't mind them touching my head if their sexy moves call for it.
  10. luh

luh Active Member

salsa hmm? no clue what that means. i guess I'd be lost too, if they'd do it in swing.
    luh
  11. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

I usually don't touch a guy's face, wonder what that was. Maybe they liked your close shave?... :wink:
  12. Sabor

Sabor New Member

touch the face?.. never heard of that .. hmm.. how do they touch it exactly? like slide them down across or like pushing a button or like sort of a pinch...?

or maybe they have weak sight and want to know what u look like thru their fingers..? :lol: j/k

-----------

as for the sweat problem .. yeah it bothers me too.. i try to have a change of shirt and wiping it off with napkins after every dance ..
  13. luh

luh Active Member

:lol:

napkins?? i hope you don't put them back on the table! :D:D
    luh
  14. Sabor

Sabor New Member

:lol:

no.. the ladies take them for souvenirs .. hahahaa j/k .. i wish huh :lol:
  15. kdogg

kdogg New Member

Yes, basically sliding the hand down from my cheek to my chin.
  16. africana

africana New Member

yeah I think it's supposed to be a flirty sexy move, caressing the face, and sometimes the lead sets it up by not completing a hair comb

About sweating: as long as it doesn't stink and doesn't affect the connection too much, not a big problem. I also usually take a change of blouse or shirt when I go out. sounds strange for a woman but I dance up a storm and do get soaked

Another thing is using baby powder plus deodorant all over - as much as possible - and not just for the pits ;) that helps delay the soakedness

And a lot of clubs have fans, so when they play non-salsa numbers or I'm tired I spend some quality time in front of the fans or outside
  17. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

I'm a little suprised at the preference for synthetics... I've mostly given mine up for cotton, and at the moment linen/cotton shirts.
  18. luh

luh Active Member

all over? but it shouldn't be one with a strong smell than. because that can get icky if you use it more than in you arm pits.

another tip: don't wear long sleaved shirts/pants. i know some people consider it looking cooler, but it's better to look a little uncool, than to smell badly.
    luh
  19. africana

africana New Member

well except arms and legs (duh :p ) actually there are some lightly scented powders that have skin tone friendly colors (I have one that is gold colored, it's flattering for my tone and great for highlighting shoulders when wearing strapless or halter tops)
    I much prefer the fresh-scented powders or deodorants to cologne or perfume. In fact, I don't like wearing perfume and dislike dancing with partners with strong smell of cologne on them, the kind that rubs off on you and smells even after the dance is over
    Very important: if your sweat stinks, go easy on the cologne/perfume
    Use more deodorant and powder
  20. jon

jon Member

Cotton holds moisture much longer. A polyester shirt will dry off after a couple minutes standing in front of a fan. However, I despise synthetics so I just take a couple of extra shirts. T-shirts under the dressier shirt absorb most of the moisture before it makes the dress shirt too spotty. Color choice important too; very light or very dark shirts, or heavily patterned fabrics, don't show wet spots as obviously.

These Dri-Fit shirts get a lot of good reviews on Yehoodi - might be worth trying for the really heavy sweaters.

If there were to ever be dance questions in the FAQ, this is a good candidate.