Sweating while dancing

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by kdogg, Jul 16, 2005.

1. luh

luh Active Member

what is asap?
    luh
  2. africana

africana New Member

As Soon As Possible
  3. luh

luh Active Member

:doh: thanks.
    luh
  4. setsuna713

setsuna713 New Member

I don't go for a sweaty dance either, but don't you hate it when you've wanted to dance with the hot guy in the blue shirt all night and by the time you've worked up the nerve you can't find him 'cause he's changed shirts?!? A guy friend of mine always makes sure that his extra shirts are a similar color to the one he started ou twith.
  5. luh

luh Active Member

lol. Never had the problem that a girl really wanted to dance that urgent with me.
    luh
  6. setsuna713

setsuna713 New Member

Give it time 8)
  7. luh

luh Active Member

sure.
    luh
  8. SalsaAmore

SalsaAmore New Member

I think towelling off between dances and changing shirts when it gets too soaked is good advise. Either synthetic or cotton is good but be sure you're dried off before asking someone else to dance. It gets really gross if you're dripping wet and the girl has to touch that (and vice versa).

I started dancing with this guy that was coming on to me in a friendly way then it started getting more and more annoying, but I kept dancing with him because it was just a dance and back then I didn't say no a lot. But, after one of these dances, he was dripping wet on his back when we started our dance. That was my final straw. Yuck! Since then, he asked me to dance a couple of times and I had to make excuses. Now I avoid him altogether by smiling so as to not appear too rude and quickly move past him. It was a double edge whammy for me - one that he was coming on too much and it got intolerable and then the deal killer was the sweaty grossiness. Ugh!
  9. alemana

alemana New Member

it was about a hundred degrees and humid as hell yesterday here in new york city. imagine my dismay as i climbed the three steps to my dance studio to realize that the air conditioning in the Midtown Manhattan building was completely shut down.

i was there to practice ballroom style (Rhythm) with my coach, and i said to myself, oh this is fine, it's not like salsa where a "wet" connection between the leader and follower can really be the death of the dance.

in his infinite wisdom he chose Rumba to work on (the most closed-position of our five dances) and a single move to perfect - an elaborate stretchy extension hold requiring a long slide of our arms across each others' bodies with full pressure and a final, tenuous hold at the very end of the extension, with me balancing precariously on one foot and clinging to his hand for dear life.

as i clawed his soaking wet arm over and over in a 60-minute attempt not to fall on my face, i thought about this item.
  10. Big10

Big10 Member

Ditto! 8)

Unfortunately, though, I'm almost always the sweatier one out of the two of us. :oops:

When I know I'm going to do some serious dancing, I wear a cotton undershirt with a loose-fitting outer shirt made of some synthetic fabric/blend. Plus I keep at least 2 or 3 hankies in my pockets. Plus an extra shirt handy. (And, even then, I still have to rest every once in awhile to cool down. :oops: )
  11. bjp22tango

bjp22tango Active Member

95% of the venues I dance in don't have air conditioning to begin with so I assume I will get sweaty (especially as I like to lead sometimes, and I love fast swing)

I bring a hand held fan, a towel, and several shirts/blouses. I go to the washroom lightly soap all the salt off my skin and refresh and change shirts.

I would rather dance with a guy with a healthy male smell than cologne any day, but some people have really stinky sweat and in those cases it is always better to try extra deoderant and powder as mentioned before.
  12. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Yup. stinky sweat is a big problem... :(
  13. gte692h

gte692h Member

priceless ! ;)

and on other sweaty issues, i danced with one lady yesterday - wearing a backless outfit, so it was all skin I was connected to. She was not chubby, so the connection felt superb. i love it when ladies sweat, but not in rivers..
  14. setsuna713

setsuna713 New Member

I've had to avoid wearing halter tops/backless outfits because I've had leads' hands just slide right off my back in the summer.....
  15. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

My back gets super-sweaty so I have to avoid those, too. I imagine it would be cooler, but someone's got his hand there, so....I prefer very low necklines(so do the guys!) and that's cool as well!
  16. tacad

tacad New Member

17. hopelessly_addicted

hopelessly_addicted New Member

Ditto that! Last night, I was dripping wet from dancing non-stop for 3.5 hrs :oops: The guys I danced with didn't seem to mind too much though. I warned them before hand and they've accepted anyways :p If I didn't sweat, then I can guarantee that I will not sit out any songs! Even merengue given good leads... 8)

anyways, back to the topic. I think as a girl, wearing something like a ballerina top (which covers the arms and the 1/4 of the upper back) with a top that doesn't cover the stomach and skirts would help cooling off...
  18. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

I took the photo(it's what I'm wearing tonight!) but I'll post it later!
  19. itorres

itorres New Member

On, my! :eek:
    Do you write romance novels? What a superb description and use of adjectives! Wow....

Ahem, I'm sorry! What were we talking about? :)
  20. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

[​IMG]
    This is what I wore to the salsa concert last night. Got it soaked in sweat, but it's dance material so it dried off like a charm(wish my hair would... :roll: ).