Sweating while dancing

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by kdogg, Jul 16, 2005.

1. hopelessly_addicted

hopelessly_addicted New Member

heya Cocodrilo! Can you please tell us what the exact material of the clothing you're wearing is?

Gosh how could you have your hair down like that? I've got a lot of hair myself and quite thick at the same time. If i have it down, it'd be like wearng a scarf or something!

2. tacad

tacad New Member

Ohh! Wow! And wet hair works. :D

Though I suppose it's uncomfortable.

3. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Blouse is a cotton/spandex blend and the pants(Danskin) are Supplex Nylon and spandex.

Yeah, about the hair. When I was dancing with one of my buddies the other night, he kept moving me around the dance floor, and when he found his friends, would spin me numerous times so that I'd be whipping the guy(and his partner!) most of them were cracking up at the lashing effect my hair had, but some innocent bystanders seemed perplexed! Was pretty hilarious, but by that time of night my hair had become pretty sweaty and I was worried that I was flinging not only hair but sweat on my buddy's friends...

4. tacad

tacad New Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:

5. thespina

thespina New Member

I don't know if I'm the only one or not, but I just so happen to like sweat. Means you've been dancing enough. I even like touching a wet shirt. Stinky, no thank you. I haven't run into that yet, thank goodness. But sweat is one of those things that happens when you're passionate and working hard, both good things. Ya, I guess it can be dangerous when you're trying to hold on, though. I don't really see the problem with carrying a little towel and a fan... and dance materials are great, as it's been mentioned.

I've had a number of dancers apologize for their sweatiness... but they don't need to! Not to me :D I'm Mediterranean though. Perhaps we like sweat on a genetic or cultural level. Is it genetic? As for ME getting sweaty, it's the HAIR that really gets me. By the end of the night I want to just cut it all off. I have WAY too much of it. I forgot to bring an elastic on Saturday night and I was cursing myself. Gleaming skin, lovely. Wet shirts, bravo! Sticky, messed-up, partially-soaked tresses? Could do without :)

6. ash88

ash88 New Member

A few weeks ago I was dancing with a partner near a couple who were dancing wildly with buckets of sweat pouring from them. The sweat was on the ladies hair and everytime she did a spin her sweat would fly off her hair and flick into the faces of nearby dancing couples.

My partner was so grossed out by this she dragged me a few metres away to a different part of the dance-floor to dance.

Sweat from other people flying into your face (like rain droplets?)....Ewwww.

7. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

That's right, Thespina, sweat is a sign you've been dancin' your butt off and having a good time doin' it. In my little salsa circle, everyone(I mostly dance with latino guys) sweats really heavily, and nobody cares. They are very clean and always smell good with the cologne they use. It's the Japanese guys that are the stinkers. Although Japanese people in general don't have body odor(now doesn't that just piss you off?) BUT there's the occasional guy that really reeks. I danced with one of those on Saturday night. Stinky, and a weak lead as well... :?
    I've never smelled a stinky Japanese woman on the dance floor but I have a few college students that are real shtinkers...Sheesh...

8. luh

luh Active Member

but doesn't go smell and sweat kinda together?
    I have the impression, that if everyone is smelly, you don't notice it anymore that tough. (i think i said this before)
    luh

9. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Not necessarily, because everyone's body chemistry(alkaline levels and what their diet consists of, plus DNA which pretty much predetermines everything!) is different and not all sweat smells bad. I don't mind the smell of fresh sweat. It the stinky stuff, the nervous sweat, the "unhealthy sweat" that smells bad(unhealthy referring to someone under a lot of stress or eating a poor diet will wreak havoc on the status of one's sweat glands).

10. Josh

Josh Active Member

Nope. When I am dancing, I smell okay afterwards, though a shower is always welcome. However, maybe the reason for me is that whenever I go dancing, I always shower within an hour or two beforehand. If I shower early in the morning and then go dancing late at night, I'm probably going to smell bad when I'm done dancing.

Like I said earlier in this thread, and agreeing with thespina and cocodrilo, when I work out or dance, if I'm not sweating a bit when I'm done, I feel like I haven't "gotten my money's worth."

11. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Absolutely, Josh! I see some people hardly movin' it on the dance floor. No wonder they don't work up a sweat. Oh well, we all have our own styles. 8)

12. luh

luh Active Member

that's interesting. I did not know that it has sth to do even with dna.
    luh

13. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Absolutely! There are many differences between the Asian cultures and our cultures(European-rooted) physically. I am thinking on writing a book, but it may seem ridiculous. I need medical journal backing!

14. kdogg

kdogg New Member

DNA probably plays a role in sweating; some people don't sweat that much while others (like me) don't take much to sweat. As far as body odor it all depends on the type of food you eat. If you eat spicy food, and a lot of diary products, you're bound to stink if you don't shower every day and put on some deodorant.

15. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

I read somewhere that how much you (can) sweat depends on the environment you grew up in when you were very young. If you spend your early life in a hot and humid country, your body develops the ability to sweat more to cope with the heat. People who grew up in colder countries have a smaller number of active sweat glands so can't sweat as much.

16. Medira

Medira New Member

I'm another one in the group that doesn't mind sweat. As long as it isn't bad enough that I get dropped or we lose connection constantly, it's all good. Basically, if I'm dancing, I'm happy as long as I don't end up flat on my rear end. Sometimes, depending on the guy, it even smells good. There are definitely those who really don't though. Luckily, these seem to be few and far between.

17. BrookeErin

BrookeErin New Member

I had a very sweaty dance last night (it was so humid and we'd both been dancing quite a bit)... he laughed when I took my glasses off because they were steaming up and loved it when I wiped the sweat off his face for him.

18. luh

luh Active Member

what food is good, for non-smelling?
    luh

19. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

I've heard that big meat-eaters tend to have smelly sweat, but I cannot prove this.(Take a trip to the Czech Republic and you'll get a lot of proof there. The guys, well...Make sure you're in a room with a big, open window... :? )

20. thespina

thespina New Member

I don't think that's entirely true. My husband is a complete carnivore, and his sweat rarely stinks (unless he hasn't showered in awhile... ewww.) I do think it has to to with a combination of genes, pheremones (some people are turned off of a smell while others are attracted to the same one), diet and health, grooming, and cleanliness. Smell is one of those very, very complex things.

One thing I DO know is how lovely it is to come home from the club, having danced close and hot with someone who smells really good, and shared sweat, and you can still smell their cologne and their body all over your clothes and hair. Now. That's visceral. Makes me remember the gooood dances. And to think it was completely, innocently shared on the dance floor, why that just makes a good thing better.