Sweating while dancing

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by kdogg, Jul 16, 2005.

1. luh

luh Active Member

yuk.
    i had a really fun time at a music camp in france, and it just came, that some people wanted to learn some swing. so i started teaching them (4 people), we ended up with 14. It was really fun. Always with live-music and they were playing what we needed. we told them the speed and everything. just great. But one night. i dance the night away, and when i wanted to dress in the morning, the pants were so smelly i was so embarrased. the only problem was - they were the only pants i had with me. So i had to run around smelly for 2 days. (though i tryed to wash them, and put them out into the air..)
    luh

2. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Luh-
    That's why I suggest pants made especially for dancing! They dry out quickly, and when you wash them, you hang them out at night & they're dry the next day. I always bring these with me when I travel, so I can travel with just one small bag!

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

What's the name of that company? Travelsmith, I think? They have some cute clothing (not a lot, but some) that's specifically made in quick-to-dry fabrics that would be perfect for traveling light or dancing, IMO.

Anybody here know what I'm talking about? :?

4. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

No, but the site "All About Dance" has men's Motionwear jazz pants for $27.00. Can't beat that with a stick!

5. pygmalion

Good point. Travelsmith is a bit pricey, by comparion. 8)

6. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Yeah, my brother always recommends that travel/outdoor stuff. Good quality albeit pricey. Also, you end up looking like a backpacker, not a dancer...

7. pygmalion

Depends on what you buy, IMO. 8) But yeah. A lot of the stuff is old-lady-on a safari-wear. :shock: :lol:

But, as I said, there are a few pieces suitable for dancing by non-geriatric types. :lol: :lol: I like their short, flippy, T-shirt dress and this camisole (link below) for dancing. They also have some pants, but those are more expensive than the ones I can get from a dancewear catalog, so why bother? *shrug* Of course, they're regular pleated slacks like you might wear to work, rather than jazz pants, so some folks might prefer them. *shrug*

http://w w w.travelsmith.com/ts/cookie.jsp?ContentOID=2653359&Category=%2fProductHierarchy%2fWomen's+Travelwear&source=category.jsp

8. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Ha ha, Pygmalion! You spaced your w's in www so that link'll get you George Dubya! :lol:

9. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

:shock: :shock: :shock:

10. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

:shock: Anything but that! PLease! :car:

11. mambonewb

mambonewb New Member

Hi all,

I've had great success with the t-shirt underneath the guyabera approach. The guyabera stays dry most of the time.

I recently stumbled onto something which you may find better than a towel for drying off between dances -- a sport chamois. Swimmers, cyclists and runners use it. They're not as bulky as the black hand towel I usually carry, and once you dry off with one, you rinse it, wring it out and pop it back into it's container, ready for the next use. Reusable & fast drying. Towels after several "drying off" sessions, will never be dry for the rest of the evening.

The sport chamois I have is made by Tyr.

See on the dancefloor...

12. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Hi Mambonewb & welcome to DF!
    I've never heard of the sports chamois although I have been doing everything from windsurfing to marathons for years! It sounds good and I will certainly check it out!

13. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Ditto to the welcome and sports chamois info... :D

14. Medira

Medira New Member

I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner!!!! I have a bunch of these around the hosue from when I used to compete in diving and synchronized swimming...they're great!

15. kdogg

kdogg New Member

The only problem with using chamois is that you've to make a lot of bathroom runs to rinse and wring it.

16. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

After looking at the internet site, I realized it was the same product they were selling at a trade fair I visited in San Francisco over 15 years ago. They had 2 products, one a yellow cloth and the other the blue, which they were selling for kitchen/cleaning purposes. Funny, add the word "sports" to the name and the price goes up 75%. I think I have some of that stuff lying around the house. I may give it a try. (I kinda like my soft towels, though...)

17. pygmalion

Hi! Welcome. :D What's a guyabera?

18. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Guayabera-mania! Check it out!

http://www.guayaberaoutlet.com/

A lot of my latino buddies wear them. So much classier than T-shirts. They look very cool. 8)

19. pygmalion

Ah! That's what I thought. 8) Those are cools shirts. I've never seen them for sale outside of Miami or the Caribbean, but they're cool ... in every sense of the word. 8) :D

20. Josh

Josh Active Member

These say they are 65% polyester / 35% cotton. Have you worn one? (says they are for men and women) I can't imagine it's too comfortable to dance in if it's not all cotton...?