Swing Dance Triple step Vs Single Step

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by Geriatric Mike, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Geriatric Mike

Geriatric Mike New Member

I am in my mid 50's, thinking about taking a five week group
    class to learn swing dance. (Mid life crisis)? I purchased a few
    swing tapes on the internet and both tapes showed the triple
    step as well as the single step swing. Seems to me the single
    step would be easier to learn and use, since I just want to
    dance socially? Other than a dance studio, I wonder if the
    triple step is ever used by people like myself, just wanting
    to have fun says at a party, wedding etc.

Can you clue me in?

Thanks

Geriatric Mike
  2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Mid fifties geriatric? :shock: :lol: Not! 8)

It depends on the tempo of the music -- faster swing music tends to use the single step; with slower music you have time to fit in the triples. (And just to make it even more confusing, you could also opt to do doubles. Don't ask. :wink: :lol: )
  3. blue

blue New Member

To what extent triples are used, I guess, all depends on your dance environment... what you mean by "swing". Singles and triples are completely interchangable though, so it is not like you have to make a choice. 8)
  4. pygmalion

Good point, blue. Are you talking about east coast swing? From your original post, that's what I assumed. My bad. 8)
  5. blue

blue New Member

Doubles?

I had to...
  6. pygmalion

Yep. Doubles. As in touch-step in the place of a triple step. 8)

I'm on my way out the door as we speak, though. So maybe someone else can elaborate? Not sure when I'll be back. :car: 8)

Actually, I'm pretty sure there's an older thread that spells out all three. Um. Darn! Wish I had time to search for it, but I'm really going to be late if I don't leave now.
  7. blue

blue New Member

OK, I guess the kick-step can be performed as a touch-step... never heard it called a double, though.
  8. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

Single time - step, step, rock step (12,34,5,6)
    Double time - tap, step, tap step, rock step (12,34,5,6)*no weight change on tap. Tap=touch
    Triple time - triple step, triple step, rock step(1&2, 3&4, 5,6)

Double time can be fun, takes some practice.

Single time footwork is easier, esp. for the man.
    The lady has to spin on one foot on one count instead of over three steps.
    But in single time, the music is faster, so the man has to lead faster and think faster.
  9. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

GM,
    It has nothing to do with age, that is, unless you compete, or have a helluva time rembering why you go dancing.

I know a guy who started dancing right after he turned 88, and now, two years later, he is competing in World dance events.

I would stick with the triple-step, as most followers should be able to stay with you. This way, you can improve and perfect what you already know.

See if you can get some Cha Cha, Night Club Two Step, and some West Coast Swing lessons in - you'll be well rounded, and can have your pick of the ladies to dance with.

Oh, by the way, this is the voice of experience speaking. I'm older than you!

And finally . . . WELCOME to the DF . . .
  10. pygmalion

Kick step? You mean hitch kicks (kick-ball-change)?

Thanks, btw, cccc. 8) That was much clearer than I could have made it. :)
  11. Dancelf

Dancelf Member

My experience is that, at social occassions (ie, an occassion where dancing is NOT the principal activity), if you see someone using a triple step, you are looking at someone who dances recreationally.
  12. pygmalion

On some slower songs, the single step feels like molasses in January -- just too slow. Just too slow. even if you're a beginner, trying to figure out what to do with all that time between beats is like Grrr. :headwall: Seriously. With a little practice, you'll start to feel which one fits certain tempos of music better, single or triple. (For the time being, leave double out completely, is my recommendtion. It's confusing to a lot of people, at the beginning.)

If I were teaching someone basic ECS, I'd start with single. But I definitely wouldn't recommend learning only single.
  13. Dancelf

Dancelf Member

Probably not. Step, Kick Step, and triple step are all odd units. Kick ball change is an even unit, like two walking steps.
  14. pygmalion

Huh? Odd unit versus even unit? I don't understand. :? Do you mean in terms of weight changes and footwork? Or beats of music?

What does a kick step look like, blue? :?
  15. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

What I think you are referring to as a "Kick step," is a syncopated variation on the back rock, introduced in Mid-Bronze or so. It is a hitch kick, for those familiar with Jazz Dancing. (One of my favorite little variations!)
    The count is "&5 &6" or "ah5, ah6." Meaning hold the first half of the first beat, small kick on the second half of first beat, ("ah"). then your rock step becomes end-of 5, 6.

Or, really, it becomes more like samba timing."And," "&" indicates a half beat. "Ah" indicates a 1/4 beat after a 3/4 rest.

Kicky, eh? 8) :wink:
  16. pygmalion

Yeah. Hitch kicks. That's what I thought. 8) I love 'em. You can put them in anywhere. Woohoo! :D
  17. pygmalion

Oh and yeah. They have more of the swing/syncopated feel to me, too. Maybe that's why I love them so much. You can really get down in the hips. If you're doing bronze ECS with a new leader who doesn't get distracted easily, you, a more advanced follower, can have all sorts of fun, adding in kicks and syncopations. Gotta keep a straight face, though, so he'll keep doing his basics. 8)
  18. blue

blue New Member

Mid-Bronze? We don't live in the same world. 8)

I mean kick step as in jig walk - we've had this discussion before, and if I remember correctly Dwise1 came upp with a good description. Just kick with a foot, then put it down. Even rhythm, nothing syncopated here.
  19. Dancelf

Dancelf Member

Weight changes. A unit is two beats of music (swing context assumed). An even unit has an even number of weight changes (0,2,4,6), an odd unit has an odd number of weight changes (1,3,5). It's a distinction that helps you keep track of which footwork substitutions you can make that leave you on the correct foot for the next bit.
  20. pygmalion

I don't worry about analyzing it. I just feel the music and syncopate if I know I'm going to end up on the wrong foot. Bad habit, I guess. :oops: :lol: