Swing Dance Triple step Vs Single Step

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by Geriatric Mike, Mar 29, 2005.

1. dancin_feet

dancin_feet New Member

I find the hitch kick to be extremely difficult to put into single swing. Triple swing it's more natural.

Maybe it's just me. 8)

2. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

No, GOOD habit! :D

3. Alias

Alias Member

No.
    It's the same as in Tap dance (with sometimes a nuance on the meaning of "step", in Tap dance you take care of ball or heel contact with the floor and then have a "(Ball)Step" (default) or "(Heel)Step" or "(Flat)Step", in some swing dance you can sometimes do a step in place by first putting the ball on the floor and then drop the heel (of the same foot) in a continious motion ending with a flat foot on the floor with body's weight on it, flat meaning ball and heel contact with the floor):

"kick-step" means that first you do a "kick" (for example imagine you kick in a ball) with your free leg (a) (the one you can raise because it hasn't the body's weight on it) which remains free after that, and second you do a "step" with this free leg/foot (a) which then takes the body's weight on it.
    The counts can be (kick(3)-step(4)).

"kick-ballchange" means that first you do a "kick" with your free leg (a) which remains free, second you do a "(ball)step" with foot (a) a little behind, third you do a "step" with the other foot (b) retransferring weight on foot (b).
    The counts can be (1&2) (with & meaning between the beats), and for example the "kick-ballchange" (1&2) can replace a "rock step" (12) (or take it (5&6) and (56) if you count the "rock step" at the end).
    I say "can".

4. Alias

Alias Member

About "single step" versus "triple step", one can have a look at this topic.
    If I collect here some of my posts from there:
    Sorry to quote myself and making this post so long.
    I thought that could give an idea of why the triple step and what's behind the different basic steps.

5. Alias

Alias Member

About "single step" versus "triple step" (and the "triple step" timing), one can have a look at the "Single steps in lindy" topic.

6. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Thanks, Alias. 8) :D