Syllabus Strict?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by StrongLead, Oct 24, 2012.

1. StrongLead

StrongLead New Member

I'm new to competition and am still learning some of the rules. I have a bronze/newcomer latin routine from a fellow college dance mate. Some of the moves included in the routine appear to be silver level though. He told me not to worry about it but I'm curious how the community feels about it. Are silver moves snuck into bronze routines kosher?

Int'l Latin chacha routine
    Open basic, open hip twist, ronde chasse into fan, alemana, open out with ronde chasse, new yorker, hand to hand with trip chachas, spot turn into a break with natural top, open out with ronde chasse, time steps, fan, hocky stick, open basic repeat~

I think it's the open hip twist and ronde chasses are silver?
    Any help appreciated :)
  2. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

You might be able to get away with the open hip twist depending on your invigilator (though it IS a Silver move, so I'd err on the safe side and not use it), but ronde chasses are pretty Silver and would be very conspicuous, considering how many times they're in your routine. I'd steer clear of those at least.
    ajiboyet, frotes and Larinda McRaven like this.
  3. Leon Theou

Leon Theou Active Member

Is it permitted to dance silver figures in a bronze event? No. It is not at all kosher. That said, whether you will get away with doing so will depend on if the invigilator sees you dance the offending figures. You have a bunch of ronde chasses in there and, as dlliba says, they are pretty conspicuous on the floor.

On another note, if you are dancing in a newcomer event, you may have a problem with fan, hockey stick, natural top, and opening out. Most comps that I have seen limit newcomers to the pre-bronze syllabus, and those four steps are in bronze.
  4. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

Seconded. The ronde chasses jumped out at me too.
  5. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I would advise to stick to the bronze figures when you do bronze, and if you want to do silver figures, dance a silver round. You may or may not get invigilated, but more importantly, it is really unfair to dance silver figures in a heat with other bronze dancers who are following the rules.
  6. paintanker

paintanker Member

My friend just went to a competition last weekend, and was disqualified for using moves that were bronze but not done clearly and looked silver.

In the same competition, many people were doing silver moves and were not invigilated at all.

In my experience, the things that people get away with are not the actual moves, but variations that use silver techniques, such as slip chasses, kick ball changes, etc.

That being said - there really is no reason to use these things. If your dancing is an 8/10, using these moves won't bump you up, but they might very well get you disqualified.
  7. ACtenDance

ACtenDance Active Member

I've seen this and have been part of this so many times in my early dancing that it's almost embarrassing. It's so common when slightly more experience college dancers try to teach slightly less experienced college dancers. My suggestion, if you're dancing bronze, stick to bronze. Just because you're dancing a supposedly more advanced figure doesn't mean you'll do better in competition (it's a good thing that we aren't scored like many of the Olympic sports where more advanced "moves" are given higher point values). In time, you'll come to understand that it's not the figure you're dancing but how you dance the figure - especially in a closed syllabus event... there just aren't a lot of options for artistry in the choreography. But did you know that are any number of ways to DANCE a crossover break? An alemana? A natural spin turn? A twinkle? Not only in terms of quality but also in terms of interpretation/artistry. With so many restrictions in WHAT you can dance, your only real option for distinction is HOW you dance. My suggestion to all the new dancers that are foolish enough to ask for my opinion is to use the first few years in your dancing to work your way through the syllabus to begin to develop the HOW, then move on to open choreography and develop the WHAT.
  8. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

No, it's not "kosher," not unless it's an open syllabus competition. And if competitions in your area are run the way the ones in mine are, you won't be "sneaking" anything. If you plan on doing it anyway, have a back-up plan for when the head judge/adjudicator calls you on it... if they do call you, rather than disqualifying you immediately (unlikely) or lowering your marks (very possible in a final).

If you can do those steps well enough, just dance silver. No one is preventing you from dancing higher than you are required. If you can't do them well enough, why do them? Work on your technique in the steps you're allowed to do.
    Mr 4 styles likes this.
  9. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Even in Olympic sports, if you do something 'off syllabus' (a backflip in skating, or at a lower-level competition, if you're in a test-level event, you better NOT throw in something harder to try and 'impress' the judges) they will bust you for it.

Little things you maybe can get away with. Half a newcomer routine being silver figures? Yeah, they're gonna notice. I mean, yes, as someone once told me "It's only illegal after the invigilators tell you to stop doing it", but they WILL notice and WILL tell you to stop with something that obvious, so why even go there?
  10. bia

bia Well-Known Member

Yup. And then you're in the position of trying to come up with new syllabus-legal choreography between rounds in a competition, and then remembering what it was that you just came up with once you get out on the floor. Much less stressful to design a routine that's legal from the beginning.
    danceronice likes this.
  11. Leon Theou

Leon Theou Active Member

I have seen this. An entire Gold Rhythm semi coming up with new routines to please a notoriously picky invigilator (whose name I will not mention).
  12. suburbaknght

suburbaknght Well-Known Member

What is the basis for disqualifying gold rhythm? I've asked several judges and still can't get more than vague descriptions of the difference between gold and open rhythm.
  13. StrongLead

StrongLead New Member

Yeah I ended up taking out the silver moves they just made me feel uncomfortable. Thanks for all your help :)
  14. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

Pickiness?