Syncopations in Bachata

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by DanceMentor, Dec 20, 2011.

1. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I've been going to a salsa school where everyone is also really into bachata. I notice there are quite a few steps that involve syncopations (or steps that are more than just 123lift). Anyone have any comments on this?

2. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

There were several Dominicanos at the "Sanctuary", who danced with syncop. at the appropriate time in the music.

Most people who dance Bachata, seem unaware of the musical construction. There are specific passages that highlite the change usually over 4 bars . I normally demo. this in my class when I teach it, but dont dwell on it for the beginning level .

3. samina

samina Well-Known Member

IME an experienced bachatero switches the rhythm to include syncopation when the music changes, as appropriate. but i've only ever really experienced this in clubs where there is a heavy latino cultural influence.

...and it has always been in a very close physical contact, not where syncopation is used while the bodies are separate. if you know what i mean...:tongue:

ballroom bachata can be tedious & boring, but IME club bachata can be very exciting and varied, in part because of these sycopations! one of my favorite dances...

4. To give you an example where the steps are syncopated in Bachata - if you want to lead the lady into a double turn...her timing will be syncopated - 1 & 2 & 3, 4.

And you can do lots of footwork with syncopated timing.

5. Itachi

Itachi New Member

The more I listen to bachata, the more I see it like rumba. What matters is that you stop at the "hip" beat #4 as you would at the strong beat #1 in rumba. Doing freestyle (highly syncopated steps or not) between those beats works well.

6. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Could I be in the only or one of few places where Bachata lessons are not offered?

7. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Watch videos and learn?

8. Spitfire

Think I'll do that, but that means something else, not many here who do Bachata.

9. dragon3085

dragon3085 New Member

Interesting, the very place I ever saw bachata was actually in Phoenix at a club 10 years or so ago. If you want to see a video with lots of syncopations btw Bachata Caribbean Style from Salsa is good, shows a style very heavy on footwork.

One of the stories I heard (and I take this with a grain of salt) is that true bachata has very little in the way of turns, and more in the way of footwork, but as it was made popular over here by Salsa dancers, those salsa dancers wanted to incorporate their turn patterns into it, they stayed with the 3 step and hop, kick,tap etc.. method to allow for the turns. If you look at some of the newer bachata videos coming out now called "Domincan Stye" (as opposed to what the other style is I don't know). You will see more fancy footwork and lesson traveling and turning.

Regardless, its still one of my favorite dances.

10. Spitfire

Makes sense, since Phoenix has more going on and perhaps some people dance bachata down here in the clubs; I generally don't go to those, but I have not heard of any lessons or classes offered at either the clubs, studios or rec centers and I've never heard any discussions on bachata.