SYTYCD '09 Vegas Rounds

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by wooh, Jun 3, 2009.

1. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Figured no real threads for this season yet, but know someone has got to be watching with me. <crickets>BETO!!! WHERE ARE YOU??</crickets> Anyway, figure one thread should be plenty for Vegas.

Sooooo, spoilers for Vegas week ahead...

Ergh!! Soooo annoyed! It always seems that if the ballroom dancers did as bad in one of the other rounds as some of the other dancers do in the ballroom round, they'd get sent home right quick.
    And the fact that Gabi is still in at this point and the cute redhead got sent home without even getting to "dance for her life" is annoying. She's great on her own, but she has sucked in every single choreography round, which is going to bring down whatever partner that gets stuck with her. Hoping she'll get sent home before the end of the night.

2. etp777

etp777 Active Member

haha, ok, the look on kaitlin's (sp?) face when she was told she had to dance for her life right then was priceless.

3. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

LOVE LOVE LOVE the brothers. Hate hate hate Broadway. People don't break into song and synchronized choreographed dance spontaneously. And Tasty Oreo's choreography just never impresses me all that much. Just don't see the reason for all the love. Step, kick, flippity hand thing, step, kick, flip my skirt, shake my butt. Lather, rinse, repeat.

4. etp777

etp777 Active Member

you and I cleraly don't hang out with same people. Wil repeat again, Glee is actually based on many people I know and love (ironically, commercial for it on righ tn ow :) ). And in some respects, they're even worse than the show. :p

5. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

If they break out into song and dance, I'm very happy for that!:p
    Although, a family joke at Christmas time is to start sarcastically harmonizing about snow and washing our hair and hands and face and dishes and laundry with snow. (And I'll also occasionally pick up some pot holders to sing about love doing me wrong.) Dance Forum Points if you can guess the movie we LOVE to mock!

6. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Oh, but I did love the preview episode of Glee. I was a band geek, so I can sort of understand the weird musical kid vibe. (And it featured a Journey song, can't beat that.)

7. soshedances

soshedances Active Member

White Christmas!!!

8. soshedances

Watched the show tonight...really didn't understand why the judges took some and sent home others. And agree about the ballroom choreo vs other styles...some of those people would have been torn apart if they danced as badly in other styles as they did in the ballroom, but instead were praised!!

9. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

73 Dance Forum Points* for you!

*Dance Forum Points are for adult use only. Dance Forum Points cash value is 1/100th of a Stanley Nickel. For conversion of Stanley Nickels to Schrute Bucks, please consult the ratio of unicorns to leprechauns. Dance Forum Points are not available in Nevada, Michigan or Wisconsin per applicable state laws. Please do not dry your hair with Dance Forum Points while in the shower. Please do not sleep with Dance Forum Points while wearing flammable pajamas. Dance Forum Points are for external use only. If you get Dance Forum Points in your eyes, please rinse your eyes immediately with tap water then contact Poison Control. Dance Forum Points are not available in stores. Please do not be confused by imitators. Genuine Dance Forum Points are made in Germany.

10. soshedances

:uplaugh:

11. RickRS

RickRS Member

Down to the final 32 and tonight 12 more get cut.

And all I can remember as far as who's still in is the Rodney and Evan Kasprazak, the Broadway brothers, and Riki Sun and Asuka Lonah, the asian International Latin couple.

Would have like to see Erik "Silky" Moore, the tap dancer, some more but the group dance was the kiss of death. His was the first group, the one that didn't jell and they decide to get some sleep, etc.

Not sure if Janette Marara and Romulo Villaverde are still there? They were Latin ballroom in the Miami audition, and she did an amazing backflip in their routine.

Those the don't watch the audition shows can miss some absolutely wonderful dances. Of course, there's the trainwreaks as well... And did they have to waste 10 minutes on "Sex" at the last audition??? sigh

12. anp73ga31

anp73ga31 Active Member

I was disappointed last night in that it did seem that they cut some really good dancers and let some who did terrible at choreography go. Cant remember names but the two that Sonja let demonstrate her dance that did so well...they ended up cutting them both I think and they were great! And yet the girl with the fantastic solo that did horrible in each and every choreography round, they kept!! Didnt make sense at all....

13. LucyDiamond

LucyDiamond Active Member

I think we need to remember that we are seeing an entire week of auditions in 2 hours. There's a lot of editing going on and we see only what they want us to see. We really don't know how everyone did in all the dances.

14. Beto

Beto Active Member

Where am I? Not reading this thread. Not yet. I still have to watch the rest of last week's Thursday night episode (the one where Sex is back) before I can read this thread. Gotta love TiVo. ;)

I'll probably catch up over the weekend so I'll revisit this thread then. :D

15. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Thank goodness! As long as I know that my dear wonderful Beto is on his way....:)

16. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

They really nailed it when they danced for Sonja. But... when they danced for the judges, expecially the woman, it was exruciatingly lack luster. Maybe she was just out of energy at that point, or too nervous to connect with the music. She was "just going through the motions".
    They really blasted the people who took a nap instead of continuing to work on their routine. So, clearly, one of the things they are looking for is an all out effort at all times.
    And who knows what else they see, or don't see in people. We should keep in mind that these folks have lots of experience in working with dancers over the years.
    Still, I don't think any of us are ever completely objective when we make decisions.
    I love this show because of the diversity of dance styles people bring to the show and are challenged to learn/dance, the lack of artifice and posturing when people aren't performing, and the rawness of the excitement/disappointment.

17. anp73ga31

anp73ga31 Active Member

Yeah, you are right about that. She certainly did not do as good then. But her and the guy she had previously danced with in practice, well they both at least knew the routine and did it decently. That one girl (dont remember her name), she couldnt do any of the choreographed routines properly yet they let her stay because she danced an amazing solo. I just dont get their reasoning. Isnt choreography pretty much the whole show? If you cant pick up the choreography you should be out right away no matter how great a solo you can do. I mean they dance with partners thru most of the show so that just doesnt seem fair. Oh well...seems I never quite agree with the judges in any of these dance shows.

18. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Active Member

Omgz someone said tasty oreo! That made my whole day. I love Tyce. lol

Anyway... Ballroom dancers always seem to get a bad rap on that show, like they always make the girls do the choreography instead of going straight to Vegas, and they almost always get cut. They favor contemporary and hip hop dancers most.

19. Dance808

Dance808 Member

I agree! My coach made it through to top 20 and then got cut. No reason, nothing. (and they barely showed more than 25 seconds of him in the vegas episode which makes me wonder how much awesome dancing we don't get to see in favor of drama).

20. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Active Member

Oh yeah. They show the ones who break down and throw temper tantrums, for sure.