SYTYCD '09 Vegas Rounds

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by wooh, Jun 3, 2009.

1. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Yay Asuka and Janette! (They were it for ballroomy people right?)
    Wish both of the brothers could have made it through (from what I saw, the bowtie looked like the better of the two dancers to me), but realistically knew it wouldn't happen. Should be an interesting season!
  2. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

LMAO at the comments that one guy's hair was "distracting". What about all the girls with their hair flying all over the place?!? Drives me nuts, but then I'm used to the tied-down/slicked-back/plastered-in-place hair of the ballroom world.
  3. RickRS

RickRS Member

Only two I remember doing ballroom. Asuka did a very hot cha cha in audition. Her partner was one of the 6 guys cut last night. Janette did a latin routine for audition, as well, but with lots of lifts (inclduing that amazing backflip lift). Her partner when to Vegas, but I don't remember where he got cut.

Was Ryan bowtie? Ryan was the older, balding brother.

Let's see, Ryan: choreographed a Broadway routine for his brother's ticket to Vegas, did a great little tap dance/whoopee cushion routine that got him a ticket to Vegas, wowed the judges with his bit in the West Side Story number, did a knockout job of both choreographing and dancing his group's hip-hop number, passed every type of choreography in Vegas week, and just so delighted to be there that joy oozes out of him every second?

"There only room for one of you dancing in your style, sorry." :(

They never seem to have an issue with more than one hip-hopper or one contemporary dancer in the top 20???

sigh...

Still love the show in spite of these disappointing moments.
  4. LucyDiamond

LucyDiamond Active Member

According to the SYTYCD website there are 4 ballroomy people (if you count salsa, which I do). http://fox.com/blogs/dance/2009/06/05/top-20-season-5-so-you-think-you-can-dance/

Asuka Kondoh
    Dance Specialty: Latin Ballroom

Janette Manrara
    Dance Specialty: Salsa

Max Kapitannikov
    Dance Specialty: Latin Ballroom

Jonathan Platero
    Dance Specialty: Salsa

So, that's 20% of the top 20. Way to go!!!
  5. chica latina

chica latina New Member

Ryan shows promise to be a talented choreographer.... but this is a dancing show, so that extra that he brings doesnt really helps him against the other fabulous dancers....

It didnt surprise me that he got cut... but I really liked the guy.
  6. RickRS

RickRS Member

Wonder if any of the dancers just cut are going back for auditions going on right now for the fall season show?
  7. etp777

etp777 Active Member

I'd guess so RickRS. I bet Sex is already in line somewhere. :)
  8. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

The only one of these four I'm familiar with is Max (and by familiar I mean "I have seen him dance," not that I know him personally), but YAY!!! I'd be a little bummed if it were 15 contemporary dancers and 5 hip-hoppers, and it seems like contemporary always gets abundant representation, as we have discussed here in the past.
  9. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

I guess they could. But some of them were clearly told that they needed to develop more before coming back. You'd hardly think such development would happen in a couple of months.

I wonder whether anyone I know tried out in Boston last week...
  10. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Looking forward to seeing how the ballroom dancers fare. Max is a great guy, hope he does well!
  11. sambagirl

sambagirl Member

Was I right in hearing the name Pavel Stepanchuk at some point in the Vegas rounds?
  12. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

Tell us about it!
  13. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

Wish I knew something. I know they announced that Boston tryouts for the fall series were last Thursday (6/4 I think). Some of the area ballroom pros must have tried out?!
  14. ChelD

ChelD Member

I thought I heard his name too. Unfortunately, it was while they were announcing those who did not make it. I don't remember seeing him dance though. Either I missed it or he wasn't featured.
  15. star_gazer

star_gazer Active Member

Yes, he got eliminated in one of the final cuts.
  16. RickRS

RickRS Member

Wiki's season 5 page reports 172 dancers were at Vegas week. There were literally tons of dancers we didn't see. One of the reasons I watch the audition shows; sometimes that's the only time you get to see a really good dancer's routine before they get cut.
  17. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

You said exactly what I was thinking! I was so disappointed when he got cut. I really liked his choreography, because it was really fun to watch. I was also disappointed when some others got cut that I really liked to watch. Oh well. I don't mind the ones that made it though. It will be interesting and fun to see how they progress!!! ;)
  18. Laura

Laura New Member

So did ballroom dancer Sarika Hudson...she went straight to Vegas from her audition, but we barely got to see her after the audition.
  19. Laura

Laura New Member

She's been competing in USA Dance events as "Elizabeth" (with no last name). Or at least that's how she turned up at Regionals out here with Ricky Sun before they did the show.