SYTYCD

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by Steve Pastor, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

OK.
    STILL my favorite dance show.

Dance Redeemer, leee and SDsalsaguy like this.
  2. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

America's Ballroom Challenge

jiwinco and dancelvr like this.
  3. IndyLady

IndyLady Active Member

While I appreciate the extraordinarily talented dancers' performances, I kind of miss the train wreck freakshow auditions they used to include more often.

4. Steve Pastor

Yeah, I think "Sideshow" from Dragon House was the one I saw that REALLY ended as a train wreck.
    I missed the first show of the season, but it seems that they have less time with the once a week format?
    Also miss their "You're going to VEGAS!" deal. I wonder why that change? Maybe lower cost in LA?

5. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

Can really do without the Bieber introducing the dance teams or whatever the heck they are. He seems to be phoning it in, doesn't care, doesn't know, or all of the above. Yawn. Showcase the teams who are competing, but leave the clueless dud "hosts" out of it, please.

Granted, this is edited for TV, and perhaps there is more going on that we don't see, but what is it with some "amazing" dancers being handed a ticket to the next round after their solo, while others get grilled about "Have you done any PARTNER WORK? Have you done BALLROOM?" -- and then they crash and burn in the partnered choreo test. Who's to say that some of the fling-my-body-and-roll-on-the-floor dancers wouldn't stink at partnering too?

dancelvr and IndyLady like this.
  6. Steve Pastor

So, I'm NOT the only still watching the show! Cool.

I found this video yesterday, and Nigel kind of answers the crew competition question

Mladenac likes this.
  7. IndyLady

IndyLady Active Member

Agreed. This is interesting that there's some crossover from America's Best Dance Crew (love that show... bummed that I will never be on a dance crew). I was a bit surprised that Poriotix was not chosen in this initial face-off since they were immensely popular on ABDC, trying to recall if they actually won that season.

8. leee

leee Well-Known Member

Poreotics / Poreotix did win their season of ABDC, to my consternation. Stuff like this crews thing make me think that this is SYTYCD's last hurrah.

Perhaps we can organize a DF dance crew?

Still watching this show, my tastes have changed slightly: I really like the ballet auditions, plus the modern dancers, in addition to some really amazing popping so far.

9. Steve Pastor

Anyone else geeked out over the graphics that are overlaid on the dancers in this season's title sequences? Anyone know what software they are using?

Mary made a comment about International Rumba being so difficult that... Ballroom people want to comment?

Mary also did a "That's right" that sounded a LOT like what we hear in Blake Shelton's "Boys Round Here." You don't think...Mary's actually heard that???

10. nikkitta

Rumba: difficult to do *well*, yes. If that's the case, why give them Samba? Or Quickstep? Eh, they usually end up gushing over how great they did even when it was sorely lacking in correct technique. I was pretty shocked at the positive comments about some of the couples who made it through the Cha Cha Test. Blech.

kckc likes this.
  11. leee

leee Well-Known Member

I actually dislike the new credit sequence, though my biggest peeve is the sound effects.

12. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

watch serge onik he will go far

13. leee

leee Well-Known Member

It'll be interesting to see how far Serge and Malene go, considering how they're the show's senior citizens (26 and 25, respectively).

14. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

LOL good point

15. duffypratt

duffypratt Member

Not so interesting to see how far Malene got. They put 6 ballroom/latin dancers in the top 20, and America voted four of them into the bottom 6, including the two that got eliminated. Once again, its pretty clear that America doesn't like ballroom dance very much.

16. kckc

kckc Active Member

I noticed that too. I also noticed how much they ragged on the dancers for having too much "phone time" in her dance. Isn't that the fault of the choreographer? I do think they looked rather careful, trying not to get caught up in the cables.

I thought Benjy's WCS was way too fast, but then again, I stink at WCS and might not know what I'm talking about!

17. Steve Pastor

After the "West Coast Swing" I was wishing that this show and DWTS would stop using some of my favorite dances. Nigel was not happy with this routine either. How about ONE recognizable pattern or even a few anchor steps?

Then along came the Argentine Tango, which was pretty good. My only problem here was that I couldn't keep from thinking of Pablo Veron and Sally Potter in The Tango Lesson. Now, in one sense it's unfair to do a comparison between the two interpretations.

On the other hand I find the reliance on lifts, etc to be unfortunate when basic AT movement could have been used to better represent the music. Are the judges really more impressed with tricks than musicality?

The African Jazz routine (OK, no partnering in African dance) made me yearn for an African dance class. There's a clip they show on OPB (Oregon Public Broadcasting) that has a few seconds long shot of an class or performance that does the same thing.

Some of the routines seemed padded with repeated, simple movement that didn't seem to be up to the show and the dancers' level. I wonder about that.

And did you catch Nigel referring to Vegas? Go back to Vegas next year if you can.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  18. kckc

kckc Active Member

I don't know that the judges are more impressed with tricks than musicality, but, like DWTS unfortunately, I'm sure that is what the audience likes.

19. nikkitta

Admittedly I don't know that much about AT, but I've seen a number of performances and was quite underwhelmed with that routine. Something didn't seem right, and I thought the judges would blast them for it, but instead they gushed all over them. At least this guest judge had something to offer in terms of critique for the couples instead of the usual "Oh yeah, Wow, that was great, good job".

20. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

I have no idea who that guest judge was, but at least she had a few constructive comments to make.

Didn't like the WCS routine. (And that makes me sad, 'cause I adore Benji.)
    The judges gushed way too much over that AT routine. I thought it was....OK.
    I enjoyed watching the phone routine. But, yet again....the judges bashed the routine, but also took it out on the dancers, which I don't think is fair.

And, look.....we lost two ballroom dancers in one night. Big surprise. :rolleyes: