Tails for American smooth?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by billman, Jan 2, 2013.

1. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

I will be perfectly honest, but our tango is completely based off our our int. rumba. We literally went to Larinda and said this is our Rumba can you "tango-fy" it? So watching our movements it does look a lot more latin-y than most and I've seen a few couples try some of the moves we have (they just happen to have similar moves in their routines) and they weren't previously latin dancers and it looks awkward sometimes. So I agree completely, the tails nowadays wouldn't fit in, but I'm sure a suave guy could make it work. But I would think they have to have really good dancing because the tails will draw lots of attention to you and if the dancing isn't there, then thats no bueno.

Also, I might mention that the tails do need to be made for dancing. In another thread I posted a video, to show a picture line I needed help with, and in it there is someone who is wearing tails, but to me I don't think those tails were even made for dancing. They sort of look like the ones worn by musicians, and it makes me think the guy repurposed them but didn't realize that when he lifts his arms up, the shoulders are going to pop way up to his ears...

dbk likes this.
  2. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

You just spoke my mind.

dlliba10 likes this.
  3. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

So I went back and dug through this thread again for some, ahem, personal choice-making help, and I thought I'd just leave this here for everyone to see ... Tails look pretty great to me, whatever the choreography.

samina, 5678dance, smidra86 and 2 others like this.
  4. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

omgomgomg thank you -- where DID you find this?

5. middy

middy Well-Known Member

I don't think of 2000 as being that long ago, but the changes in filming and video technology really emphasize that it's over a decade ago...

(Also some of the fashion, ballroom and otherwise, heh)

6. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

Whatever my opinion of tails in Smooth, it's a better choice than some others in the background of that video... O.O

JudeMorrigan likes this.
  7. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

Let us all give credit to sync for finding this.

8. dlliba10

Cheers. Sync nentioned he posted it on FB, so I went, saw it, and my eyes bulged out of my head at the awesomeness. Apologies for the original lack of attribution.

9. dlliba10

I also want David Hamilton's outfit. No joke. It's awesome.

syncopationator, jjs914 and smidra86 like this.
  10. billman

billman Active Member

I am now rethinking the idea of tails for American Smooth! lol What a classy look!

Warren J. Dew and dlliba10 like this.
  11. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

best part of that vid is 4:18..... toni redpath in a bikini:cool:

oops sorry:confused: kiddding

smidra86 likes this.
  12. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I really really dislike Ben Ermis' outfit. He looks like he's at a wedding reception.

13. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Yup, I've got mad respect for him as a dancer, but I'm glad that that's not something that's representative of the current style.

14. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Kidding about what?

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  15. Hunter Johnson

Hunter Johnson New Member

WOW!!!
    That bring back fun memories,I think the Tails look great..

dlliba10 and j_alexandra like this.
  16. Sania

Sania Active Member

Especially the shoes - otherwise you might be uncomfortable :)

Bailamosdance likes this.
  17. Sania

Sania Active Member

I thought you were joking, but she really is wearing a bikini (during an interview clip)

smidra86 likes this.
  18. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

This seems as good a place as any to put this. My partner is in need of a new tailsuit and does not have a smooth suit. He's thinking about getting a "three piece" set, tail trousers, tail jacket, and smooth jacket. Have any of you worn tail trousers for smooth (with a smooth jacket) and how do they differ from the typical smooth trousers?

19. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

This was such a cool video!

20. Gorme

Gorme Active Member

I wear a tail trouser under my smooth vest. It works great. Only difference between a tail trouser and a smooth trouser is how high the waistline is. If you're going to wear a smooth jacket, I don't think you should be wearing a tail trouser. Go with a vest instead. Or get a long vest.