Tails or "Dokman's"

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by DanceMentor, Oct 13, 2007.

1. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Tails vs. Tuxedo Jacket in USA Dance Events

I noticed tails were required for adult novice, pre-champ and champ. If a Tuxedo jacket (made for dance) is worn in Novice or Pre-Champ, what do you think would be the consequences?
    (this is for the Southeaster Regionals)

2. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

If you read the fine print, a tailsuit is not required, because you are always allowed to wear the costume of a more restricted division.

The question will be if you should wear the tuxedo jacket, or go with something like a black cardigan that might better preserve body lines. That will depend a lot on how well the tuxedo jacket fits, and on what you want to show in your dancing. What your partner will be wearing could also be a factor.

I've also heard rumors that the southeast regional tends to be a bit more formal than average even into the audience , so that might also point towards the tuxedo jacket.

3. DanceMentor

Ok, well that's a relief to know the Tuxedo (no tails) is okay.
    Thanks for your reply.

4. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

We dance Sr 1 novice and of all the times we have done this event I dont remember many if any of the men wearing tails.

5. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

All that said, I've heard some judges don't care for the jacket look.

How commonly are they worn (in lieu of tails) in amateur, professional, and proam competitions? The most recent comp video I've seen was from the Comcast broadcast of the Cherry Hill comp this year. Don't recall seeing any of the mail professional leaders wearing jackets.

6. Laura

Laura New Member

It's becoming very common in Smooth (Amateur and also Pro), and in Pro/Am (Standard and Smooth).

7. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Gradually ( not before time ) returning to a past era .

8. DanceMentor

I actually plan to get tails again for my next outfit, but right now my Tuxedo jacket is MUCH better than my tails, so I just wanted to make sure it was okay.

9. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I have not seen tails in Pro Smooth for years. The lst time my ex wore his tails we were scolded for looking out of style, and that was about 5 years ago. The pro Smooth division is experimenting with various artistic cuts of the jacket. Very very long (ala Luca Baricchi), Nehru style, diagonal breast, morning coat, tightfitting almost shirtish, bell sleeves, frog closures, black jacket with grey pants, smoking jacket with a sash....

I only know of one pro who wear tails for his pro-am smooth. And the arms are missing so it is more of a vest/tails combo.

The only place I see pros wearing tails anymore is in high level pro-am Standard, not syllabus (Unless it is also a teacher who will be dancing later on at the high level pro-am. But all of the syllabus teachers are wearing jackets). Or in the Pro Standard, and still there only 50 percent.

Funny enough the am boys of pro-am are wearing tails. And I encourage my guys to do so. Don't know why, maybe because I like them to show their dedication and respect to the old tradition, and then get funky and fun with the cut of their smooth jackets.

10. Chris Stratton

?

11. Laura

Laura New Member

This makes sense, especially if any of them end up with an amateur partner for Standard -- then they'll be all set with their tailcoats right away. I very rarely see amateur men doing Standard in anything other than a tail suit. (Well, obvious exceptions are Syllabus, where tail suits are not allowed, and men in Novice who don't have their tail suits yet. But in Pre-Championship and Championship, it's tail suits all the way.)

12. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

Yuck. I've seen the jacket style without sleeves and don't like the look at all. I do like the look of a well tailored jacket, though not the long jacket/coat thing Mr Baricchi has worn. Of course the way he dances, he can wear anything he likes; who am I to say? ;-)

13. etp777

etp777 Active Member

I agree, NOT a fan of the sleeveless jacket look.

14. Chris Stratton

As a look, no. But I have seen a tailored vest and a shirt with black sleeves used as a remarkably effective mock tailsuit... You almost have to be behind the guy to realize there's something missing.

15. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Well yeah, the key is well-fitted. which seems rarely to ever be the case. Even my own vest doesn't fit right now and would look horrible if I wore it (though still better than some I saw at the july FA nationals :) ).

16. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

+1

17. Cal

Cal Active Member

My pro competes Standard and recently started Smooth - both pro and pro-am. He wears his tailsuit for all of his Standard events, and wears a double-breasted tuxedo jacket for all of his Smooth events. With the tuxedo jacket he wears a black satin tie - nothing colored, nothing rhinestoned, and I don't think he'd even consider wearing a bowtie.

I've got to say, in his tailsuit, he's just another good-looking guy in tails; in his tuxedo jacket - the guy looks really, really SHARP!

If I were to take the trouble to add a memorable signature line to my posts, I'd plagiarize from Fascination and put in that there's nothing more attractive than a man with a number pinned to his tailsuit - or to his tuxedo jacket.

18. Chris Stratton

Sure, standing around.

But even on someone like Markus Hilton or Chris Hawkins, the longer tuxedo jacket just doesn't work as well for the body postures common in standard today. You see them in a great line... with a nice big wrinkle across their lower back. A tailsuit works better, because the part of it that conforms to the body is actually much shorter.

19. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

In the pro events it is almost an even split between the tails and jackets. Except at MAJOR events where it gets tail heavy again.

20. Chris Stratton

Maybe some low level guys who don't own them or don't take themselves seriously. Maybe someone higher level at a little comp where they want to announce that they don't take the event seriously. But not anybody real for any real competition.

Which real dancer have you seen without a tailsuit in the standard event at a real competition?

Even Dockman went back after his experiment, didn't he?