Taking Ballroom to the Bedroom

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by rbazsz, Oct 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rbazsz

rbazsz New Member

I was being sarcastic, using "nice" the way WW described it. Actually these people are about as nice as a lemon is sweet.
  2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Yep. I agree. Both words -- nice and kind, have the meaning I ascribe to them. I do think that ww makes an important distinction though. Whatever my action, if there are big, fat strings attached, that's not "nice."
  3. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

LOL. Yeah, that was the same quote that got me to read it. Also in love with that site.
  4. achilles007

achilles007 Member

Welll.. technically.. that's what attraction is... attraction based on the characteristics of that person (not their wallet). If anything this statement only goes to show just how straight-forward and common sensical the process is for men as opposed to women.

I still cant understand how much someone makes could get in the way of so many women's eyes and instantly make that person into some type of handsome prince despite no change in his actual appearance.

Oprah is the richest woman in the world, yet if she walked into a room full of men no one would bat an eye.
    Sadly the same cannot be said for women.

I still cant figure this one out.
  5. achilles007

achilles007 Member

It may have something to do with the fact that we still live in a world that still lingers from the tradition of being heavily entrenched in chivalry.

Where men were expected and brought up to bring home the bacon, and women were just to choose from them (as they were not allowed to work anywhere except the kitchen).

but now that those days are over-- thank god-- it still seems some of that prevailing attitude is still left over.

This is the only reasonable explanation as to why alot of women still put heavy leninence on how much a man brings home rather than how much a man PLEASES her or IS PLEASING to her. This is the way men judge women.

But, fortunately, things are slowly changing around-- and with more and more women becoming employed and getting advanced degrees it either lowers the bar as far as women not necessarily depending on a man's money for the sole livelihood (thus decreasing it's importance) or sets the bar ridiculously high as they would expect MORE out of men as they climbed higher in their levels of finanical gain.

Let's just hope and pray to God that the latter will not be the case for the future. As this will do nothing but put a strain on relationships for both men and women in this country and everyone will end up unhappy.
  6. achilles007

achilles007 Member

Sex and the city is partly to blame for all of this chaotic madness
  7. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

At risk of resurrecting the absurdity: Resources. Why would I want to marry someone with nothing? If I wanted to be poor or waste my own assets supporting someone else I'd join a convent where at least it would go to someone who needs it. There's nothing appealing about someone who's broke and underemployed and content to be so. Likewise, men might SAY it's all about looks, but unless they're genuinely looking to constantly dump their partners as they age (looks aren't forever), are they REALLY saying they'll take a girl who's brainless, self-centered, can't hold a job, and lives in a pigsty as long as she's pretty? I don't think actual mature adults chose their partners the way some younger people appear to think....
  8. pygmalion

Interesting perspective, doi, but I seriously dislike this thread because of all the absurdity, so I won't respond at this time. I think it's an awesome topic, though, that might help stave off some of the absurdity over in the dating thread.

Maybe I'll take some of this over there. If we spend one more day throwing pearls before swine, over there, I'm going to kill myself. *not entirely tongue in cheek*

ETA: I suppose I should clarify that this is a Biblical reference (Oh the irony!) before someone accuses me of name-calling.

"Never give what is holy to dogs or throw your pearls before pigs. Otherwise, they will trample them with their feet and then turn around and attack you." (Matthew 7:6 International Standard Version)

In this scripture, Jesus was teaching his Apostles not to give the Gospel (in the case of that thread, substitute teachings of value) to people who would not value it/them. Whether you're a Bible person or not, if you've read the dating thread recently, I'm sure you know why that scripture popped into my head.
  9. achilles007

achilles007 Member

Well... i think your example of a man whose poor, is a "waste of time" and constantly underemployed is a bit of an extreme example to what I was referencing exactly.

I was more so talking about rich men (millionaires or billionaires) vs. your average working man. And the previous discussion on the obsession some women have with the former.

But in your scenario-- I would agree with you. You are absolutely right.
    But as far as "marrying for resources", I believe this was done a long time ago before societies had developed to the way we are today or in still developing countries. But by and large--i would doubt the number one reason driving a lot of women to want to marry a rich man in america is for resources today.

Maybe if she is a foreigner looking to get away from her homeland, then correct, but I dont think this is the case for your average American woman.
  10. pygmalion

Honestly, achilles007. I haven't interacted with you much. So I am not picking on you. I have no idea what your past few posts having to do with dancing or the original topic of this thread. None at all.

These are topics that belong in a non-dance thread, IMHO. There's an ongoing dating thread that you might want to visit. If not, feel free to start your own thread that's relevant to what you want to talk about. That works, too. :)
  11. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Obviously because was responding to DOI, not the OP's question.
    Topics wander... as long as the OP doesn't complain the thread is not as they intended, we really shouldn't be transferring posts from here to "your" thread. Rest easy, no need to bump it up, your post count there is well ahead of this one.
  12. pygmalion

Huh?
  13. Larinda McRaven

Achilles was talking to DOI. I don't see how that leads you to suggest they are off topic... they were talking to her with a clear quote tag. Sending these discussions to your thread is not necessary.

Anyway mods will do their job if and when it is necessary.
  14. rbazsz

rbazsz New Member

I wouldn't mind if this thread was closed. It has gotten way off topic. I think the threads on flirting and dating are a far better fit for talking about this.

I'm sure few of you believe it, but I regret starting this thread. If it was up to me it would be deleted so that people would forget I ever started it.
  15. pygmalion

Yeah, rb. Sometimes that happens. We start threads and then wonder how in the world they ended up where they did. BTDT. Bummer. :-(
  16. achilles007

achilles007 Member

sorry...

i'll go to the other thread
  17. pygmalion

No need. I was just stating my opinion. :cool:
  18. Larinda McRaven

No need, achilles, you don't need to go to another thread. You were fine to reply to DOI here.
  19. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

suffice it to say two things; 1) the staff will decide when to lock a thread, move a post or veer things back on topic 2) since the OP feels that the topic has been addressed to his satisfaction it seems reasonable for folks to honor that and move along...temporary veering off topic happens and folks are usually able to police themselves on that and it is fine for folks to make brief response to that tangent...only when a member shows a distinct and profuse disability to do that, will staff make a specific reccomendation in that regard...if persons who are not staff would like to weigh in on issues of moderation, they are free to express them in the staff mailbox ....no further comment on this moderation note belongs on this thread...if there is nothing more to say on the original post, please feel free to participate and enjoy threads that have not already served their purpose...
  20. LCbaseball22

LCbaseball22 Member

Hmm, so this is how you really feel about me? :( I'm just a worthless pig? I know it's a lot to expect from strangers, but I feel right now like nobody really cares. Like if I killed myself nobody would give a ****. Including my family and so called friends. I mean nobody likes/loves me for who I am.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.