Taking Ballroom to the Bedroom

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by rbazsz, Oct 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CANI

CANI Active Member

Samina, to be clear;), I never said you said "it would never happen in ballroom"...my comments in this thread have not been directed at you...and that point was merely reinforcing the point I had made in agreement with bia's point...

And, to be clear;), I didn't say that being in the don't-mix-dancing-with-dating-camp was an impediment to you gauging the difference in cultures...merely to me...I don't see initiative as being related to this point...but if it is to you, that's cool...
  2. samina

samina Well-Known Member

for me, it's bachata, ww... :cool:

and yep, intention supported by clearly held values & reasons. otherwise...any woman dancing as much as we have in the latin scene would be lost in about 2 seconds flat, heh.
  3. samina

samina Well-Known Member

that's fine, thanks for clarifying. i was just being clear myself, as a response to your comments under my own quoted comments...in case we were miscommunicating.
  4. DL

DL Well-Known Member

There's an instructional studio in my area whose socials I quit attending because the proprietors specifically seemed to be courting the nightclub/meat-market crowd. There was increased "glitz" -- and even burlesque shows -- and much diminished actual ballroom dancing. If the market segment to which they now cater is more profitable for them, then I guess they made a good business decision; but it's not my cup of tea.
  5. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Active Member

I used to like bachata when it would result in a super hot dance with a stranger, and not one word being exchanged.. Now its turned in to chat time, whether thats simply to catch up with a friend or flirt with someone. We cant talk during salsa.

Last winter my scene got bachata fever.. I don't know, it got cold, we started to huddle for warmth? And it was kinda sexy at first, we had a bachata night at a teacher's home studio and it was a small group of regulars to salsa nights, like 10 of us.. candles lit all around the room.. I met someone, but nobody else did lol.. then they took that idea out to a bar and it went from romantic and cozy to seedy and dirty. It was a weekly contest of last man/woman standing at 2am. Anyway I think it mostly succeeded in spreading the flu all around. I got SO sick!

I guess what I'm trying to say... is get your flu shots? I don't know I'm tired and rambling.
  6. jennyisdancing

jennyisdancing Active Member

Honestly I still can't believe someone seriously asked why his female dance partners haven't offered to hook up with him in bed. Really? I mean, that was an actual expectation?

Don't get me wrong, many of us single women would be glad to meet a man through dancing - but we want conversation, normal dates, a romance, a relationship...not a cheap hookup. If that's what you want, go to a regular bar, I guess.
  7. samina

samina Well-Known Member

am so not interested in chatting during bachata, lolz.

am reminded of one latin venue i went to last year, outside of tampa...the first bachata of the evening, shortly after 10pm, was utterly obscene. and the way the women were dancing generally was quite remarkable and in a style of so overtly "asking for it", i had to come up with a new name to describe it: "put-your-stank-on" latin. oof.

very much not my scene, but that was surely an excellent venue for shooting fish in a barrel. i could PM the OP the name of the place if he's interested...;)
  8. samina

samina Well-Known Member

9. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Never let it be said that I don't have a sense of humor. :)
  10. samina

samina Well-Known Member

you impressed me with that one, lolz.
  11. Zhena

Zhena Well-Known Member

12. rbazsz

rbazsz New Member

How would somebody go about finding the Latin clubs that you describe?
  13. rbazsz

rbazsz New Member

The evidence I have observed would suggest that you are correct. Some people call dance an advanced form of foreplay, but perhaps that characterization isn't true in ballrooms.
  14. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

There are dozens of DF threads regarding the need for dancers to understand the separation between dance-related, necessary physical contact and sexual intimacy. Dozens. It's a dichotomy that, IMHO, has grown out of necessity -- the desire to study dance while having a SO who doesn't dance; the need to dance competitively with a pro who is gorgeous but not interested, etc. There are too many scenarios to recount. Dance != sex.

The fact that one chooses to ignore this divide won't make it go away. It's there for a reason and serves a useful purpose, IMO.

If one wants to get laid, go to a pick-up joint. If one wants to ballroom dance, go to a ballroom. I don't think the twain will be meeting anytime soon,** although I could be wrong.

If one wants to dance at a pick-up joint, ask someone who has mentioned a steamy dance scene, and go there.

** There are exceptions to everything, of course. People do meet in the most unlikely places. But, as a rule, ballrooms are not pick-up joints, in my observation.
  15. rbazsz

rbazsz New Member

It seems like a perfectly reasonable thing to ask, so I am as surprised by your response as you are by my question.
  16. freeageless

freeageless Active Member

Rbazsz, If I remember correctly, you stated in a prior post that dancing was costing you a lot of money, and that you really believed in private lessons. I am assuming that you have spent thousands of dollars on private lessons. Have you considered asking your private lesson teacher, why women are not asking you to get in the sack with them? After all, don't you want to get your money's worth out of those private lessons? If you think your question is "a perfectly reasonable thing to ask" here; it, should be "a perfectly reasonable question to ask" her? ;)
  17. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

tacad, is that really you? if not, it should be.
  18. rbazsz

rbazsz New Member

I doubt my instructor would consider relationship questions to be part of her curriculum -- although she has coached me on ballroom etiquette. Besides, the lessons are expensive, so I wouldn't want to spend time talking when we could be working on dancing. :cool:
  19. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Perhaps the ladies you dance with think that their time with you would be much better spent dancing than doing anything else...
  20. rbazsz

rbazsz New Member

Thankyou! It might be that simple, and that's not a bad thing.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.