Taking classes at Arthur Murray

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Donchik, Apr 25, 2006.

1. icering

icering New Member

^^^ thats kinda hard for human....the human brain tend to work in the pattern of 1, 2,3 many.

2. Donchik

Donchik New Member

I do have positive things to say about Arthur Murray and my teacher as well. When we started we were very inspired and we were basically sold. Seriously sold. Our teacher is very passionate. He might be lacking in technique but he is defenitelly passionate about what he does.

My main concern with switching to another studio is that classes won't be planned. Is that so? What other people have to say on that?

In Arthur Murray they try to plan them in advance (as much as possible), so when you come in it's not " well, let's teach you this move or that move". Every class they write down what was done during the class. Is it the same in other studios? Is the teaching structure planned out?

For those people who have been dancing with Arthur Murray for a long time: what level are you on and how many classes or time it took yuo to get there?

3. saludas

saludas New Member

I'm sure you'll find the exact opposite is true - the AM 'lessons' will not be very integrated into your dance education.

You don't nee anyone to write down what you learned - that's YOUR job. Don't you keep a notebook?

AM is the originator, BTW, of the 'six week wonder' teacher....

4. HCMikeC

HCMikeC New Member

I compete in gold/advanced american styles in collegiate competition. IN AM language, I guess I am "Associate Silver II."

5. Donchik

Donchik New Member

That's funny, because in six weeks they defenitely don't teach much.

No, i don't keep the notebook. Teacher does and he writes in there and its kept at the studio. It's basically for him to remember what was the last class about.

6. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

At the independent studio I go to, they usually start you on the bronze DVIDA syllabus for the dances you want to learn. Then it depends on your goals. You can progress through the silver and gold syllabus if you want, if you want to take exams or only social dance. If your focus is competing, the instructor will choreograph a routine at the appropriate level and most of your time will be spent on learning and perfecting those routines. If you find an instructor who knows how to coach competitive couples, there will definitely be a plan. But it will be your plan, based on your goals, and you'll progress at whatever speed you can.

7. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

saludas wasn't referring to the students, but to the instructors. There is an unfortunate tradition in certain corners of the ballroom dance world of taking people more or less off the street (as long as they are young and attractive), running them though a few weeks of instruction, and then declaring them instructors. Hence the "six week wonder". Some beginners are being taught (?) by instructors that have only been dancing for a few weeks longer than their students.

8. Donchik

Donchik New Member

Oh, my god! That is soooo true. There are about 11 instructors in our school. I think like 6 or 7 of them have been in school slightly longer then us and have no prevopis dancing experience but they are teaching already. I, a student, can totally see their mistakes and how unsure they are while dancing certain moves and THEY TEACH other students!

That's another thing that upsets me about AM. For the money that we are paying everyone at the studio entitled to a teacher with at least 3-4 yeas experience, not 4 month.

9. alemana

alemana New Member

wow, a NOTEBOOK KEPT BY MY TEACHER?!! unbelievable. that would be hilarious.

i keep my own... which reminds me, it's out of pages:) need to pick something up in the next 2 hours.

10. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

but let me again add that the phenom of new instructors w/ minimal skill is yet another thing not limited to AM or any other franchise for that matter.....its all part of the learning curve...NO studio owner is gonna say "oh hey thats John he's our new guy, you dont really want to take a lesson from him just yet"...and when you are new yourself it takes a while to differentiate....and maybe at first there is a tendency to feel decieved or disillusioned but they are running a business and there aren't oodles of high quality instructors running around wanting to get paid next to nothing to be a dance teacher..so ya just watch and get better and go to comps and see who wins and dont say much and make your choices

11. alemana

alemana New Member

honestly the degree of largely incomprehensible backbending going on to avoid any unwarranted claim of 'generalizing' about franchise instruction is starting to annoy me.

12. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

listen dont be so easily annoyed okay...its just an honest opinion based on fact...I have been to many independents and the money sell and the newbie teachers and all the other crap is there too...it is....so is what is wonderful

13. SexyMan2Cha

SexyMan2Cha New Member

6 weeks, wow that's short... That can't be good, lol.

At what stage can the new teacher start teaching privates?

14. PasoDancer

PasoDancer New Member

A guy at one of the studios we haunt on the weekends was introduced as "Our Neeeew Instructor" once... he looked positively terrified. Later on, we were doing bota foga in our handicapped version of samba, and he said "What are they doing? What's that?"... I heard, and thought, crap- are we doing it wrong, that they recognize it?"... No- this "teacher" had never seen or learned bota foga.

15. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

My teacher keeps a notebook on all his students and marks down what we do in each lesson. When I first began, he used to have me sign it (under pains and penalties no doubt....). But, his notes are condensed; will say what dance and what technical aspect was worked on. Mine are usually a page in my steno book per lesson.

16. SexyMan2Cha

SexyMan2Cha New Member

haha, handicapped samba. That's unbelievable though.

17. icering

icering New Member

lol yeah I have been teaching my instructor how to dance on 2 and teaching her new moves. the only reason i am still at AM is because I still have classes I paid for in advance so to them I am bronze 1 but in Ny at the soho dance studio I am advanced silver.

18. Keelzorz

Keelzorz New Member

I think you just need to have your wits about you when dealing with chain studios. If you're the one paying, you can choose your instructor - don't choose the one who's been dancing for 6 weeks. Ask.

My primary coach of three years is a FA teacher, but he is definatly not a "6-week wonder". True, there are definatly beginner teachers at his studio(only one, though, and he is mostly a receptionist). Our coach travels from his studio to teach a group lesson three times a week at our college, using the ISTD syllabus. Once we provided it to him, he was more than happy to teach off it. He goes out of his way to offer private lessons to us without any mention of commitment.

Or take for example, FADS Boston. They were primary sponsors of MIT, their instructors judged and coach major teams in the area. They're sought-after coaches - some just choose to open a studio with a "big name" instead of starting their own.

19. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

To which I'll add that I've also seen a franchise studion where the least experienced teacher had been with the studio for over four years already!

20. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

It kind of depends on what you are trying to learn. There are teachers who would start students that way from the beginning, but there are also moderately advanced competition couples who would benefit from being pried apart and drilled in what it means to stand aligned over your own feet.