Taking classes at Arthur Murray

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Donchik, Apr 25, 2006.

1. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Tony Dovolani, no?

2. Laura

Laura New Member

Yes, and Gleb Makarov (and his ex-wife, too).

3. musicchica86

musicchica86 Active Member

I was just about to say that myself, MQ! :p

4. saludas

saludas New Member

I think the problem is that the poor customer who comes in is shown the names of these top competitors and, by inference,assumes that they are either at the same level as their teacher, or came thru AM or FA teaching ranks, rather than coming in as business owners who by the franchise, or as 'forced labor' imported from overseas....

5. Salcero

Salcero Member

I went there for an "intro" salsa experience way back in the day. The enviroment was somewhat geriatric and I felt like they want you to go slow so they can keep collecting payments. I also didn't like the fact that they wanted me to take classes in many styles of dancing, when at the time I was only interested in Salsa. Now I would study other dances, but not with AM.

6. sunderi

sunderi New Member

Just for the record, the Bota Fogo *is* in the AM Samba syllabus (Bronze 3). :)

7. cl5814

cl5814 New Member

So far i have refrained from mentioning my AM experiences. WAY bad. Instead of teaching, the lessons were more about jokes that were inappropriate, way too many jokes or to introduce me to all the people in the studio. Got ridiculous phone calls inviting me to parties etc. I will show up if i feel like it; don't bother phoning me. Attended one group class, but while it was a fun hustle class, i didn't get much out of it, either. Tried taking lessons with a partner thinking it will help; but didn't. Frequently walked out lesson wondering what the lesson was about......
    I tried to be positive and stick around for a few lessons; then i moved to new state and tried another AM. Not much better if not worse.

First AM; instructor was a retired dude in need of something to do with spare time; second AM; instructor was a very young dude. Don't think either knew too much or at least the impression that i got was that they either knew slightly more than me, or i knew as much as they did. I guess i could've asked for another instructor, but with that track record, i didn't care; lost few hundered dollars but better than further wasting my time. Not even partner wanted to continue lessons, so it wasn't just me that didn't like it. Who would say no to free lessons ? (partner did)

Been to one of the chains here; apparently different rules for this country. Much better. I met the owner before studio opened, which probably helps. More open atmosphere. Don't know much about teaching there; all relative beginner teachers; a truly fun atmosphere that will attract students that want to have fun.

8. chachachikka

chachachikka New Member

AM or FADS?

Which one? AM or FADS syllabus?

Then my guess is that those who don't know it are the newer instructors that haven't been trained that far into the syllabus yet, and hence why they aren't familiar with it.

9. Medira

Medira New Member

I know it's in the AM syllabus and I'm about 98% sure it's in FADS, since it was covered by a FADS instructor I was working with for a little while...we nevr worked from syllabus sheets though, so I can't say for certain.

10. Merrylegs

Merrylegs Well-Known Member

If your coach doesn't know a BRONZE step, I'd turn and run.

Why would you want a teacher that learned the step 5 minutes before he/she taught the lesson?

There should be a law. Or, at least, a conscience.

11. saludas

saludas New Member

Well, apprently, there seem to be many students who value 'good vibes' over 'good knowledge'. Plus, one forum poster has been making the case that beginner wonders are actually better for beginners than teachers with experience. This fellow (the coach) probably took the TWO week teacher course, not the 4 or 6 week one...

12. redhead

redhead New Member

I have observed the n-week wonder in training... she was taught foxtrot, rumba (american), swing and salsa in the first few months. Nothing else. Then came american tango and waltz. So yeah I can see how she would have no idea what samba is.

13. saludas

saludas New Member

Imagine how fast her students would have progressed if, instead of learning 'steps' and having only isolated ideas of what the ballroom syllabus was like, she was able to integrate the concepts and teach them fromt he beginning.

Honestly, not knowing more than a box step and an underarm turn doesn't make ME feel that the teacher has a clue...

What a lame excuse for a 'teacher'.....

14. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

I think I missed a post here. There's a teacher who doesn't know what samba is? :shock: Did Michelle mention something about law? I think we should pass one.

T_E

15. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

Why should someone whose training appears to include only american style dances know anything about samba?

16. redhead

redhead New Member

... did I ever say she was good? I felt sorry for her students.
    But her only student who was interested in competing eventually moved to a different teacher, so he wasted only what, 5 months (sarcasm over... poor thing)
    And it wasn't at AM or FADS, just an independent studio.

17. Merrylegs

Because there is an American style Samba.

18. Chris Stratton

Only sort of. It's a bonus dance, not one of the core 9.

Do you require teachers to know peabody as well?

Samba is more widely known because there's a lot of international style exposure. Salsa is more widely known because a lot of people do it for fun. But neither is any more a part of american style ballroom than peabody is.

What about WCS?

19. Merrylegs

I have not danced Rhythm in about 8 years so I do not require my coach to know Samba, Peabody or West Coast Swing, but thank you for asking.

Your sarcasm is duly noted, however.

20. Chris Stratton

What does Peabody have to do with Rhythm?