Tall guy, small girl

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by chook, Sep 11, 2005.

1. chook

chook New Member

Post Edited.
  2. brujo

brujo New Member

Learn to bend your knees.

I'm 6' tall as well. With some girls, I learned that when I bend my knees, the moves are easier. Also, learn moves that are focused more on the head level ( shoulder turns, head wraps, etc ) where you don't need to reach down to her waist and stomach level.
  3. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

In terms of arm wrapping around the neck...if the girls arms are supposed to wrap around you let your hand do the wrapping while still connected to the girl's hands. Not as visually appealing, but it is a half-way substitute. :cheers:
  4. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

I have the opposite problem as I am a 5'8" woman who is even taller wearing 3" heels! Most of the men here are 5'7" or shorter. You just have to deal with it and you will get used to it. (Although it is much prettier to have a tall guy dancing with a short woman than the other way around! :? )
  5. Big10

Big10 Member

I'm also tall (about 6'2") and a few of my favorite dance partners are a foot or more shorter than I am. Somehow we make it work, though. :wink: Honestly, some moves are more difficult to execute when there is a great height difference. (On the other hand, a few are actually easier.) I agree with the suggestion to bend your knees, which I tend to do a lot. However, you should still try to maintain the posture of your back, and beware of the tendency to slouch (which many of us tall guys do). I've gotten better about my posture while dancing with short women, but I know that I slip into a slouch sometimes.

Generally speaking, I tend to use more open-position moves when dancing with a much shorter woman. In closed position, though, the follower can do a few things to help, like keeping her frame by resting her left hand on your tricep/bicep rather than trying to reach all the way at your shoulder. I know that the eye contact thing can be difficult, but if you bend your knees and make good steady eye contact early in the dance, then that is a signal to her that you want to make eye contact -- and many followers will reciprocate by making that extra effort to bend her neck back and look up at you in closed position.
  6. OneCentSalsero

OneCentSalsero New Member

Im 6' dont have trouble w/the short ones since those are the ones ive been learning with. Now the tall ones since im not use to em...well ive received an elbow the the nose and neck not to long ago, its nice for once not the one to be apologizing :-D
  7. Rosa

Rosa New Member

I'm an average sized woman and I must say I most enjoy dancing with men who are only slightly taller than me, say 3 or 4 inches. It's just more comfortable that way.

If I'm dancing with a very tall guy I'll do the arm on the bicep/tricep instead of on the shoulder thing, but I feel the dance suffers then, due to a lack of intimacy. I dance Salsa and Latin American, and the intimacy aspect (or perceived intimacy aspect) is very important to me.

Rosa :)
  8. Danish Guy

Danish Guy New Member

Training, small steps, fingertip connection, have the lady close to you, and bend your knees while you get the connection over your head.

I’m 196cm and have the pleasure in sometimes training/practicing with one of the “small” ladies from class. (Guess she’s about 165cm) I have no problems in dancing with her. I can do all the patterns except an entangled limbo under the lady’s arm. (But I’m not flexible to do this with anybody else either). Got no problem with frame or eye contact.

Got no problems inviting any lady’s for a dance due to size or shape. Adapt to your dancepartner and make it work.

Doing patterns being close to your partner and get the fingertip-to-fingertip connection easily buy you 10-15 cm worth of arm length. A little bend in the knees will do the rest.

It can be done. Go for it, and have fun.
    :D
  9. Ray

Ray New Member

if you want to spin:

don't hold her hand when you want to spin under her arm hehehe .. just put it in your side and spin with your arms over her arms ;)
  10. ash88

ash88 New Member

THis is one reason why i like dancing with tall girls - the spins under their arms are easy peasy.
  11. Ray

Ray New Member

yes indeed... ;)
  12. Shooshoo

Shooshoo New Member

I find in ballroom, dancing with someone with equal height or a bit taller more comfortable. I manage to keep a proper frame.
    In salsa, any equal or taller is good. I find the taller guys have more control in spins and I don't feel like I'm being dragged across the dancefloor like some smaller guys. That's more enjoyable.
    Sorry to say it, but I HATE dancing with shorter guys. It's good I'm not that tall.
  13. ArtsySalsera

ArtsySalsera New Member

6', 6'1" and 6'2". Geeze, why don't you guys just come
    and dance with me. I'm always looking for tall men with good salsa skills to dance with. Blasted!
  14. Shooshoo

Shooshoo New Member

Yeah, never seen so many tall guys in one place!!
  15. ArtsySalsera

ArtsySalsera New Member

Yeah, It's a smorgasbord! [​IMG]
  16. Josh

Josh Active Member

Well let me add to the Invasion of the Tall Guys!! ... I'm 6'1" as well. Although, really, to me, 6'6" or so would be considered truly TALL.. 6'1" is above average but not really THAT tall... I also enjoy taller women since I can spin under their arm with little problems.
  17. alemana

alemana New Member

LOVE dancing with a tall lead. i would never say that leading ability is dependent upon size AT ALL - one of my teachers is an EXTREMELY short salsero who leads six-foot-plus women with absolute ease - but sometimes i enjoy the feeling of a much taller guy spinning me. if he does it well, he can get a lot of torque out of his position above me, and i feel like i can just spin and spin forever.
  18. africana

africana New Member

totally agree!
    (and I'm taller than you ;) )
    probably one of the top reasons I love congresses, so many tall men :D
  19. ArtsySalsera

ArtsySalsera New Member

:D Oooooh, I'm in heaven here!
    I'm 5'6" and with my dance shoes, I'm 5'7 &1/2 or 5'8.
    I'll grab my flat jazz shoes sometimes not just to do mambo but to
    be more in proportion to the men I feel like I tower over.
    Lord, I [​IMG] for traveling money and time off work to get to dance with the tall men of the world. :wink:

Excellent! Ohhhh. Another great reason to go to congresses.
  20. redbeard6

redbeard6 New Member

Sunday night at the practica there was a new follower who was close to eye to eye with my 6'4" frame. She mentioned that she had to adjust her steps to match my longer stride. Which made me wonder...what have I been putting my smaller partners through? I'll pay more attention. Is the longer stirde a problem with other tall/small match ups?