Tall guy, small girl

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by chook, Sep 11, 2005.

1. dancergal

dancergal New Member

Yes, my husband is 6'2" and I'm 5'4". When we first started dancing together it seemed like a was always running to keep up with him. I finally got him to take smaller steps and what an improvement!
  2. Sabor

Sabor New Member

i'm 6'3.. so, where da ladies at?!

:lol:
  3. rhythm mouse

rhythm mouse New Member

What's your criteria?
    I think I've been eliminated from the other's specifications :cry:
  4. Indiana_Jay

Indiana_Jay Active Member

"Tower?!?" Geez, since when is 5' 7" (170cm) or 5' 8" (173 cm) considered tall for a woman? Perhaps it's my perspective, since I'm 6' 6" (198 cm), but I thought 5' 7" was average for a woman.

By the way, my wife and ballroom dance partner is 5' 3" (157 cm).

-Jay
  5. lynn

lynn New Member

i'm curious, if your wife is 5'3, do you two have difficulty dancing together?? I've often found that it's difficult to dance with people so much taller than me.
  6. Big10

Big10 Member

Yeah, length of stride can be an issue, too. That's another aspect where the open position helps, since the difference in stride doesn't matter as much if the leader can at least reduce the back-and-forth motion in his hands/arms.

In closed position or with the cross-body lead, I really have to pay more attention. What seems like a distance coverable with an easy stride for me can be a bit of a chore for a woman with shorter legs (especially if she's wearing heels).
  7. africana

africana New Member

I know!
    if a 5'6 woman is complaining I should be miserable with my 5'10 myself :lol: :roll: and that's without wearing heels

although 5'7 is still tall for most salseras (think mostly latinas and others of the petite species)
  8. Indiana_Jay

Indiana_Jay Active Member

Well, Lynn, keep in mind that we're both beginners, with fewer than a dozen lessons completed.

Cha-cha, rumba and east coast swing seem to work out ok, but I have been stepping on her a bit in waltz and foxtrot. That is improving, however, as I get better at keeping my feet close together and toes pointed straight ahead (an unusual position for me... I usually stand and walk with feet shoulder-width apart and toes pointed slightly out).

Also, she's getting better at stepping back from her hips, rather than from her knees, which allows more room for my stride.

The other issue is that I have to modify my frame a bit, with my elbows lower than what would normally be expected. Even then, I can often feel her right arm start to get heavy after we dance a while, as she tires of holding it up so far.

In summary, I think our height difference has not posed any major problem yet, but I lack the perspective of an experienced dancer.

-Jay
  9. OneCentSalsero

OneCentSalsero New Member

ArtsySalsera wrote:
    6', 6'1" and 6'2". Geeze, why don't you guys just come
    and dance with me. I'm always looking for tall men with good salsa skills to dance with. Blasted!

I was excited when you said you were looking for tall men but of course you had to throw things off for me when good salsa skills were required.
  10. OneCentSalsero

OneCentSalsero New Member

I actually had a problem w/a very small follow in class tonite, but it was more do to her bad attitude when she wasn't partnered up w/her favorite leads.
  11. chandra

chandra New Member

I wish I could find a clip of jason barnes dancing with sophie kdepp. (WCS pros)) Hes gotta be atleast 6'4" and she is probably shorter than 5'4". Ive seen them dance a couple of times, its awesome!
  12. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

I lead a lot of women (scarcity of men here, sigh) and the really skinny, light little things have no tension. Although I am consistently at least a foot taller, on average, than they are, it is not hard for me to lead the small ones, but the lack of tension makes it difficult.
  13. tacad

tacad New Member

Yup. No tension's a drag. :?
  14. Ray

Ray New Member

well i must admit.. that dancing with tall ladies is not perfect too.. but if there is salsa in the music.. i don't care ;)
  15. Danish Guy

Danish Guy New Member

My guess is this is more a general follower issue, more then a height or size issue.
  16. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Precisely- however,weight, or lack thereof, my indeed have some bearing on the tension factor.
  17. genEus

genEus New Member

Whenever someone complains in class that he can't do some combination because he's much taller than his follower, our instructor tells the story of how he saw Super Mario, who is 6'5" or so, dance with a 6 yr old girl at a congress and it was so absoultely smooth like you wouldn't believe it.
  18. ArtsySalsera

ArtsySalsera New Member

Since When? ......Since most of the guys where I'm at are shorter and go for the shorter women first when it's time to dance.

Also nobody's complaining here. I am just making a statement about my experiences. Yes, 5'7" and 5'8" are considered tall in the salsa scene in my area.
  19. ArtsySalsera

ArtsySalsera New Member

Drat! Leave it to me to throw a catch in thur! [​IMG][​IMG]