Tan/Body Colored Elastic?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by chachacharming, May 17, 2006.

1. mummsie

mummsie Member

I have used both tea and coffee - depends on your own skin tone. Have also used both to dye shoes. I have also used calamine lotion for a pinker shade of nude - that's what ballet dancers use on their shoes to make them a nice shade. I have found that the skin coloured elastics are too brown and stand out a lot. Gayle

2. Laetitia

Laetitia New Member

Great, I am glad it worked out!!!

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Calamine lotion? Really? :idea: :cool:

4. fluffy

fluffy New Member

I also use tea: 2 bags regular tea in a mug, left to steep overnight, rinse out well. I then use mesh or powernet to cover it. I wrap round twice and pin. Sew with a running zig-zag, and neatly trim the excess. It's less hassle the Laetitia's method, and you don't see the raw edge as it's against the skin (or stoned).
    I'd be wary of foundation in case it rubs off, and comes out when you wash it, although I know of people who have also used this method.

I ALWAYS cover straps, it just looks better. I have seen raw flesh coloured elastic (June of Australia sell it) but I just don't like the look. It's one of those little details which makes dresses look more finished, more professional, and hence expensive.

5. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Would y'all even encase the little finger loops for gauntlets?

6. fluffy

fluffy New Member

It varies, I used to! Now I just use the mesh as it's softer and more comfortable.

7. Dancebug

Dancebug Well-Known Member

I don't even bother to use elastic. I just make a tiny tube with nude Lycra fabric. The method of making the tube is same with making an encasing. I cut the right length and attach it to the sleeve.

8. Laetitia

Laetitia New Member

I have done both as well, the seamstress in me says the encased elastic looks nicer and is sturdier, but the dancer in me tends to think the lycra or mesh by itself is more comfortable.

Another thing I have seen on some dresses are the finger loops made out of that new clear plastic elastic. That's nice in the sense that there's less sewing, because you just attach it and that's it, but, in my experience it doesn't last very long, the thread eventually tears through it. It might work better in Standard as opposed to Smooth, where there's less strain on the sleeves.

9. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Yes, I've used the clear stuff for that before.

10. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

very honked off that I didnt pay enough attention in Home Ec. and 4H...pout.....running off to the "you know you're addicted when..." thread to post my ruminations over the purchase of a sewing machine for my birthday....hmmm