Tango Music for a Wedding Dance

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by tango, Nov 3, 2003.

1. tango

tango New Member

Well my wedding is now only a few months away and it's time to put together our opening dance, which is going to be a tango. Now, I don't have a great grasp of tango music and would like to hear some suggestions on a good song to dance too.

So what's your favorite music to dance tang too?

2. will35

will35 New Member

Tango, at a wedding? Wow.
    I'd try a waltz instead. Yo No Se que Me Han Hecho Tus Ojos.

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Hmm. If I remember correctly, DM, our esteemed and fearless leader, did a tango for his wedding dance. 8) :D

4. will35

will35 New Member

Yeah, I don't know what to say. I've never put much thought into it, but a Tango would not be my first choice for a "wedding dance". There are many, many, many lovely Tangos, but my favorites are about breaking up and going to jail and dejection and murder and starvation and ladies who come in for just a Tango and disappear forever. That is not what a wedding is about. I like Homero Manzi's "Solamente Ella". I guess if people don't know what it is about, it won't make much difference.
    "Moneda de Cobre"? "Uno"? Nahh.
    "Milonguero Viejo"? Nahh.
    "El Choclo"? I hope not with the original lyric.
    "Mama, Yo Quiero Un Novio"? Okay, that one.
    I guess an instrumental. D'Agostino's "Racing Club" or Laurenz' "Arrabal". Or it could be one of those fabulous Canaro waltzes.
    Pugliese's "Amurado".
    Or "Golondrinas".

5. tango

tango New Member

Well we did pick a song which will work very well. The song is a modified version of Por Una Cabeza (pretty popular song as far as I can tell). Since most people at the wedding don't have any idea about Tango songs I don't think the meaning matters (this song is about a man's two loves - horse racing and a women).

Anyway, as for doing a tango to open, I think it's more dramatic and it is a passionate dance. We want to entertain our guests and get some value out of the buckets of money we've thrown into dance lessons!!!

Waltz on the other hand is nice but everyone does the waltz, so where is the fun in that? We'll do one to close the evening.

6. ilovemusic

ilovemusic New Member

Argentine tango for a wedding dance

:roll: To me Argentine tango is an excellent choice for a couple's first dance as a married couple. Recently, as a dance instructor, I started specializing in helping couples prepare for their wedding dance. So far waltz is not at all popular. Most couples are picking love songs that they like and they have no idea how to dance to these tunes. Nobody has picked a waltz!

:lol: Argentine tango proved useful recently when no ballroom dance seemed to work for the couple's favorite tune. The interesting thing about Argentine tango (unlike other style's of tango) is that it can be done to a wide variety of music. Argentine tango can be extremely romantic, unlike American or English (International) tango. It does *not* have to be so bold, and stacato like other tangos.

:arrow: To see an example of how Argentine tango works well with jazz played in a restaurant/nightclub setting in San Francisco, take a look at the video clip at http://www.ilovemusic.com/argentine_tango.htm . (Click on the second photo to start the video clip. )

7. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Just wanted to say welcome to the forums ilovemusic, and thanks for the link! :D

8. pygmalion

Hi ilovemusic! :D Welcome to the forums. :D

9. will35

will35 New Member

I can see we are on completely different wavelengths on this topic. I didn't even know what a wedding dance was before I saw the link. Welcome to the forums.

10. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I danced Jealousy at my wedding. It was funny because the non-dance people at the reception thought we were mad at each other. :lol:

11. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

Hi, Tango...are you still around? How did the wedding tango go?

12. tango

tango New Member

Yep, I'm still around. The opening dance was great. As far as people cheering goes I don't think I will ever hear cheers that loud again. All the money and effort put into the two minutes of dance was worth it. Aside from the pure enjoyment of dancing I think the working towards a 'goal' made our relationship stronger. In some of the still picture I can see how suprised all the guests were and it's great to see that not only did I enjoy it but everyone else did too. Ahh dancing is there nothing it can't do!

Anyway, I did have a videographer capture the dance so once I get a copy I'll post it on my website and you can check it out.

13. pygmalion

That sounds great, tango. I look forward to seeing the video. 8) Just curious. Did you decide to continue with the same dance studio, or have you found another place with less aggressive sales techniques?

14. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Great to hear that it went so well for you tango! :D

I'm looking forward to seeing the video whe you have it up.

i also think you make a really good point about having a common goal and the role that can play in developing a relationships -- probably one of the resons that long term dance couples take on so much of the dynamics of a marriage I think.

15. ilovemusic

ilovemusic New Member

I'm anxious to see that video clip!

I'm teaching Argentine tango to a to-be-married-soon couple who picked a country song for their first dance. NIghtclub-two step would also work, but so does Argentine tango. Argentine tango is such a flexible dance that it works with most any music that has a solid beat. It is interesting that it works with either quick waltz or music with music with 4 beats per measure.

The couple is learning figures like the calesita, where the follower balances on one foot and rotates while the leader dances in a circle. As the leader dances in a circle, his woman rotates so that she stays connected to him. The guy is learning to improvise so he can just dance tango rather than memorizing a choreopgrahy.

Here's a picture of a "real" calesita:
    http://www.colby.edu/~bknelson/exercises/instantes/left/calesita.html

The lady is also learning to play with her man's leg when he leads her into a forward ocho after completing a "sandwich." A forward ocho is a step where the follower steps forward and then pivots, making a figure 8. (Ocho means "eight" in Spanish.)

(In the sandwich, the leader captures one of the the follower's feet with both of his feet--sandwiching it so to speak.

Phil Seyer
    http://www.argentinte-tango.com

16. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

The link goes to a picture is of a merry-go-round horse!?! :? What am I missing?

17. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

ROFLOL!!!!

We danced a waltz to "Could I Have This Dance" by Anne Murray. However, it wasn't your average box step in the middle of the room, either!

18. tango

tango New Member

We've stuck with the dance studio, the pressure tactics dropped off and they put that energy into helping us with the dance routine. When they teach they are great, when they start the sales pitch it seems to distract them, as I'll see this week since we are up for a new 'package' and there is a comp in April that they want us in. I'll take the good with the bad and call it even.

The videographer said she'll have the video ready sometime in Feb. I'm looking forward to seeing it as well since I've never watched myself dance. Should be educational.

19. Vita Rara

Vita Rara New Member

Tango, I know your wedding is over, so this is too little too late. Sorry, but I still need to add my two cents.

I'm very new to tango, but my answer to this one is easy. Anyway, I have a song I want to dance to at my wedding. I've had this song in mind for a long time, long before I learned to tango. Loreena McKennitt's "Tango to Evora" from her Visit album. It's a very romantic tango. If I ever marry someone I will dance to this at my wedding.

Funny story from the past weekend about this song. I attended the Dance Flurry in Saratoga, NY. I attended every tango class and dance in the course of the weekend. So, at the Saturday late night milonga the DJ said she was going to put on some romantic tangos. I was dancing with a friend of mine when "Tango to Evora" started. I warned her that I might propose to her at the end of the song. She got a good giggle out of it, and what a dance. OMG, magical. It worked on so many levels.

Mark

20. ShyDancer

ShyDancer New Member

I just came across this post and I have to say ...AWESOME!

I love to hear about peoples wedding dances!

I plan on doing a Rumba for mine....picking it up halfway with the entire bridal party joining in and doing a little Samba :wink:

But Im not doing anything traditionally....Im forking out the big bucks so Im making it a day I will enjoy!

Im glad you enjoyed your dance tango!