Tango Music for a Wedding Dance

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by tango, Nov 3, 2003.

1. tango

tango New Member

Thanks! It just happens that I have a video of the dance available at:

http://www.methyl.ca/movie.mpg

It's a fairly big file (26 meg) but it's good quality. Anyway, if you get a chance to download it an let me know what you think.

p.s. I started a new post in the Ballroom forum about the video.
  2. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Welcome to df Mark/Vita Rara!! So you are one of those lucky people who went to the flurry!! I wanted to go but found about it too late and so could take time off from work. A lot of people whom I know went there, but they did a variety of dances, and not just tango. Great to have another NY tanguero, anyway, in DF!!
  3. Vita Rara

Vita Rara New Member

Sagitta, too bad about the Flurry, but it's time to put it on your calendar for next year. It will be February 18-20, 2005. Book it now. You do not want to miss this weekend long celebration of life, music, and dance.

Well, I'm happy to be on board. I don't know that I'd describe myself as a tanguero at this point. More of a Lindy Hopper who has been bitten by the bug, has spent too much money on iTunes Music Store for tango music, has done tango four out of the last seven days, and has put every milonga within 250 miles on his calendar, budding tanguero. ;)

I've only danced tango at the Flurry to speak of, last year and this year. So, I'm very very new, but something clicked this past weekend. I was at our local swing venue last night wishing they were playing tango music.

Later,

Mark
  4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Hi, Vita Rara! Welcome. :D
  5. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

a hypothetical reply..........

I narrowed my favourite tango music to 20 songs and then it got diificult.
    Le Grand Tango is a gripping piece, Nephelis Tango is just beautiful,
    and my favourite favourites are still Zum, La Yumba and Galla Ciego.

But in the spirit of chivalry I would let my hypothetical bride make the final decision.
  6. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

Tango, a friend of mine wanted to do something "different" for her first wedding dance and I showed her your clip...she was inspired and is trying to convince her beau to take lessons and do the same!!! :)

Who knew your loving gesture would cross borders? :)
  7. tango

tango New Member

That's great! When I first started dancing I was aprehensive, but looking back I wouldn't change a thing. The dancing (all night) made the wedding day so much more fun. Plus I had an opportunity to give back / entertain my family and friends. Now, if we could only convince other guy's that once you get started dancing you probably won't want to stop.

Music and dance is borderless!
  8. nepheli

nepheli New Member

Nepheli's Tango

Hello everyone. I was reading this thread as a consequence of my upcoming wedding, and my desire to dance a tango with my man on the day!

So, bordertangoman, I'm glad you responded, because this topic is still relevant to me, even if tango has already had great success with her choice!

The thing that really spurred my getting registered was the "Nephelis Tango" that I read a references to a couple of times in this forum.. which one are you referring to? I'm wondering if it is the Greek one by Haris Alexiou.

I was given the nickname Nepheli 7 years ago by the man I'm now engaged to, because he liked the mythology behind the name 'Nepheli', and as I translated the song words to him on a hot summer's day on Santorini, he got it into his head that if I personified Nepheli, I could be with him wherever he went.. since Nepheli literally means 'cloud' female.. indicative of all airborne moisture, mist, falling dew, fog, clouds..

We have been considering Nepheli's Tango, given the significance of the song to us and our bond, and what better way to start our declaration of forever than to dance to that romantic tango?

But, please, is there another Nephelis Tango? Perhaps instrumental that you know about? I've had no luck tracking it down if there is!

Many thanks.
  9. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Hi nepheli. Welcome. And best of luck with the wedding planning. :D
  10. bordertangoman

Re: Nepheli's Tango

No there's just the one by Haris Alexiou. ( to my knowledge)
  11. Cats

Cats New Member

Once I saw a performance by a couple was planning to marry and perform tango at the reception. I guess the bride was going to change into a tango outfit with a short skirt from her long bridal gown for the dance.
  12. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

It's so nice to hear how much part of one's life tango has become. My wedding dance will be a tango. Now all I have to do is find the groom! :)
  13. nepheli

nepheli New Member

Thanks, pygmalion!
    and thanks bordertangoman.. I hadn't visited the forum for a little while, and hadn't realised you had responded.

We just started classes this week, and I enjoyed it immensely! We have over a year before the wedding, so heaps of time to get better at dancing the tango.. it's going to be so much fun!!
  14. newbie

newbie Active Member

It might be a good idea to learn a bit of Viennese Waltz as a Plan B.
    While one year is more than enough for a follower to look good when dancing A.T, an A.T. leader is frequently still in the "beginner's hell" zone after the same time.
    It takes considerably less time to look good at Viennese waltz.
  15. bordertangoman

Nephelis tango is a real slow tune and these can be the best for dancing tango. You really have to tune into each ohther and it can become very sensual. So practice doing lots of very slow ochos,keeping your balance and learn some decorations 'adornos' and let it be playful.
  16. nepheli

nepheli New Member

Thanks, newbie. We already feel fairly comfortable with other more traditional dances, and the VW is one of them. We do have our heart set on the tango, though. The particular song is very dear to our hearts, and is, afterall, the catalyst to my nickname over the last years!
    Thank you very much. Although we will start 'winging' it as we learn various steps over the next few months, I think we will both feel comfortable with a choreographed dance with some help from our instructor. We'll certainly keep what you suggested in mind.

I just can't wait till the next class. It's such a beautiful and sexy dance!!!
  17. piimapoika

piimapoika Member

Of course this is far too late for the 2003 wedding, but an appropriate tango was published this year. It is called Häätango (Wedding Tango) and was the winner of the 2009 tango writing contest. Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7CxE1KxCTw
  18. smithmiller6

smithmiller6 New Member

ango Music for a Wedding Dance

*delete spam*
  19. smithmiller6

smithmiller6 New Member

*delete spam*
  20. Mladenac

Mladenac Active Member