Tango nuevo top list?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by brasilian, Jul 23, 2010.

1. brasilian

brasilian New Member

Hi there,

Can you please suggest 20-40 songs that you consider the best for tango nuevo? Even better 2 lists one with famous artists and one with not so famous but with good music and songs? Thanks.

2. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

Here is one that I recently started using, Corsica by Petru Guelfucci.

[yt]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/glxjBhhyzdo&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/glxjBhhyzdo&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/yt]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glxjBhhyzdo

BTW, here are a couple other threads on the subject:

http://www.dance-forums.com/showthread.php?t=32634

http://www.dance-forums.com/showthread.php?t=36361

3. jantango

jantango Active Member

Haven't you heard the news? Tango nuevo is on the way out, so don't bother collecting new CDs for dancing. There have been posts on Irene and Man Yung's blog, Tango Cherie, and Arlene's blog about its demise. Chicho Frumboli said it best -- it has no essence of tango.

It was invented for those who want to show off on the dance floor. It isn't a social form of dance. And it certainly isn't tango, especially when it is danced to alternative music.

Better to invest wisely in good recordings from the late 30s and 40s which are still played in Buenos Aires. Why? because they are classics and will never go out of style like tango nuevo.

Dave's recommendation above is nice listening music, but it isn't dance music for whatever type of dancing. Dance music has a distinctive rhythm that identifies the dance.

4. Mario7

Mario7 Member

On it's way out or not, why isn't there a seperate 'Tango Nuevo' forum? So that all it's aficionados can have a place to share information, too? Can we vote on it or something to get one going? I hope so, afterall this is supposedly an Argentine Tango forum.

5. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Oh, get over yourselves already, you two. You don't like anything later than 1950, we get it. So don't listen to it, and don't dance to it, but leave the rest of us (who have managed to figure out how to dance tango steps, with a tango embrace, with passion and intensity and feeling, to that sort of stuff...or "alternative" music) in peace.

To the OP: there's lots of stuff out there. Check out Bajofondo, Debayres, Gotan, etc. Tango Beats, Tango Night Club, etc. As for an actual list--I don't have one anymore, and don't have the time to compile one. But I'm sure you can find lots of stuff out there that you'll enjoy.

6. JohnEm

JohnEm Active Member

An over the top response as usual Peaches!
    And that comes from someone who sometimes
    likes to dance traditional style to NeoTango music,
    but not just any NeoTango.
    Probably from what you say, so do you.

But here the debate is about Nuevo. Those who dance in the embrace
    want to dance in peace and empathy with each other and the music.
    Nuevo seems to be anything but peaceful, from the showy dancing
    to the sometimes thumping music (how can that be Tango of any kind?).

Unfortunately I think predicting the demise of Nuevo is premature,
    Arlene's blog is the more accurate. Meanwhile I'd vote with Mario.

7. Subliminal

Subliminal Well-Known Member

Congratulations trolls! You win. When I first came here, this forums was a great help to me in getting started on my tango journey. Now it just seems like a complete waste of time. Not to mention several people whose opinions I value have already abandoned here.

Thanks to everyone who helped me out when I first started. I'll probably still hang out in the other forum sections, maybe I'll see you there.

8. dchester

FWIW, you'll be missed.

If you are still around, I will point out that this forum does have the ignore feature enabled. IMO, it's worth a try.

http://www.dance-forums.com/profile.php?do=ignorelist

9. JohnEm

JohnEm Active Member

And this comes from someone who posts in the Whining threads! LoL!!!!

10. dchester

FWIW, Nuevo is danced in Argentina quite a bit, along with all the other styles of tango.

For those of you who want to whine about Nuevo, how about starting your own thread. If you do that, then if I decide to post in it, I won't try to hijack it on the first page.

The OP was trying to have a thread about music, understand? (comprendo?)

11. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

Exactly.
    :rolleyes:

12. Zoopsia59

But you'd only know that if you read the whining threads yourself.....
    :p

13. dchester

To be honest, that song "Corsica" is a very nice song to dance milonguero style to. Alternative songs aren't just for Nuevo.

:cool:

14. Zoopsia59

I'm not so good with knowing who the artists are for music I like when I hear it (or the names of pieces)

But I have to admit (despite it being cliche' at this point) that I really love Gotan.

15. JohnEm

JohnEm Active Member

Well actually No I don't - there are other ways of finding out on here
    without the bore of reading everyone whining.

As for the OP: there's plenty of sources on the net to help find Nuevo
    or even Neo music. I know I had to it when I first started and didn't come
    on here asking for other people to spoon feed me.

Researching, listening and working it out is all part of tango, unless maybe
    you're a Nuevoist . . . . in which case a manual of steps, moves and music
    is all you need. ;)

16. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

Starter pack :

Tango

Gotan Project Queremos Paz / Epoca / Chunga's Revenge
    Bajofondo Parfum / Zitarrosa / Mi Corazon
    Tanghetto Enjoy the Silence / El Boulevard / Sweet Dreams / Englishman in New York
    Libedinski Vi Luz y Subi / Plano Secuencia
    Aubele Postales
    Otros Aires A Veces / Percanta / Pampa Seca

Milongas
    Otros Aires Milonga Sentimental / Rotos en Raval
    Caceres Toca Tango
    Kevin Johanssen Sur o No Sur

Vals
    Yann Tiersen La Valse d'Amelie
    Galliano Vals de Margeaux
    Soundtrack Beekeepers Vals Paris

17. Zoopsia59

But why bother to do something like that? :confused:

Personally, I like the whining folder. :cool:

18. JohnEm

JohnEm Active Member

Subliminal's outburst caused me to wonder what contribution
    we were going to miss, not much was my conclusion.
    But then, I never seem to agree with D'chester.

Why am I explaining?!

Oh I never thought you were that sad :p

19. Mario7

Mario7 Member

O.K. would someone please point out the flaw in my reasoning; Argentine Tango is first and foremost a genre of music and then there is the dance to that music which is also called...you guessed it. Now, when someone comes into an Argentine Tango forum and asks for music other than Argentine Tango...hmmm, I get confussed...it makes my head reel....duh, am I in the right place? And so, shouldn't there be a place for people to share music other than Argentine tango that is not in the Argentine Tango forum? Oh, did I mention Argentine Tango??:confused:

20. li

li New Member

So what's the point of a forum then? Researching and working it out in isolation is all very well, but sharing the experience is much more stimulating. And after all, tango is all about sharing experience...