Tango: Stopping Extra Momentum

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by caw, Jan 18, 2013.

1. clumsy fellow

clumsy fellow Active Member

My interpretation of the step; I find that if my first step is not inline my right foot, I do as you describe. Also, on the second step; the base catches up to the upper body (outside of turn) making split weight easier obtain. It feels as if my foot rotates inside of my shoe as I take weight on the inside edge of toe on second step... I use the Heisman Agility Drill to help build the leg strength...

Whoa, it makes sense in my head but to see it written.... back to lurking.
  2. vit

vit Active Member

Agree with that ... but despite their quality, they still have problems with putting the hell on the floor on that step when demomonstrating basic figures. The same with Veyrasset on his DVD ...
  3. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

I think that the action can be compared with the "kiss the floor" touchdown on the inside turn of a Foxtrot Reverse Turn (the THT step). The alternative is to have a R hip rather stuck in the air.
  4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I am talking about compressing as you receive the wieght of the last step ...I would also ask if you tried these things both alone and with your partner... because while she may not be having a problem alone, it doesn't mean that she isn't continuing motion with you that is fighting against you....it would obviously be easier for a coach who can see you to help you....because you can be thinking you are doing what we have suggested, and not in fact really be doing that at all...or some other very visible thing make be going on....probably time for a coaching
  5. fascination

I know that as the lady, if I open my left side and turn too much on that last step, it won't be pretty for the guy
  6. caw

caw Active Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm practicing again this afternoon, and I'll try to implement what you've suggested. Of course, as fascination points out, maybe I'm not doing what you've suggested at all. But at least trying your advice is free and I can start today, as opposed to paying and waiting a few weeks for my next standard lesson.
  7. vit

vit Active Member

Well ... on salsaforum, some people posted the video of their dancing, so it was much easier to give suggestions, which were usually well accepted ...
  8. randomaeiou

randomaeiou Member

caw, could you describe where your weight is at the third step ("&") and the sixth step ("S")? by describing - is it 100% over the heel of one foot, 100% over the ball of one foot, 100% in the middle of the foot (i.e. you can't lift either heel or toe of the foot and stay stable), split 50-50, 60-40 or something else between the balls/heels/middle of both feet? (P.S. you'll probably need to come to a complete stop at the third step to analyze/feel the weight distribution for a bit)

also, on the sixth step, which direction are your hips facing, and which direction are your shoulders facing? are they facing the same direction, or if not, how far apart?
  9. caw

caw Active Member

That ended up helping a lot. I thought about being split weight, and then allowing myself to compress onto the front foot, and I was a lot more stable. I think I was ending on that front foot without absorbing my momentum there and sending it into the ground. Still doesn't feel perfect, but doable now.

Yeah, funny thing about that. I threw in a long 5 hour practice today since my partner is out of town for the next week, and I got a massive blister on the inside edge of my toe. I'd love to do this right now in my kitchen and tell you, but I have to stay off of my foot now :(

All I can really say is that I know I do have a lot of CBMP on that sixth step. I end facing DW, and I often feel myself fall somewhere between DW and DC.

I really appreciate all the help you guys have given me. It is feeling better, just not 100% yet. I'm totally bummed about this blister though...
  10. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

Sorry about the blister! I had one more thought. If I'm picturing this correctly, you're going forward-side-cross, back-side-forward in CBMP, correct? On step 5--that side step before you step outside partner--make sure it's really a side step and that you haven't over-rotated and actually stepped forward. Your hips should be facing about to the wall. If you over-rotate there, that could cause some extra momentum that would be hard to catch.
  11. caw

caw Active Member

Come to think of it, I think I am over rotating that. I'll keep that in mind. thanks
  12. caw

caw Active Member

I practiced today, and wow that just fixed the problem completely. I'm sure what everyone else said played into it as well, but that made it all go away. thanks a lot for helping
    latingal likes this.
  13. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

Awesome! Glad I could help.
  14. fascination