Tango Vals

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by bordertangoman, May 8, 2009.

1. JohnEm

JohnEm Active Member

For once(!!!!!) I agree with you.

One of the surprising disappointments in BsAs milongas so far, is the wish
    of the porteñas to step only on the one in Vals with no change in tempo
    at all. The more known milongueros varied their tempo so I have no
    explanation other than it must be what some dancers are used to.

Similarly in tango, no quick steps even if the music moves me to
    dance some. This is less of an issue to me than a strict tempo Vals.

2. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

After watching it a few more times... There is something mesmerising and stunningly beautiful about his footwork. I keep trying to figure out what it is. Perhaps the way he seems to be playing with the timing with his feet (rubato, which I'm always a sucker for)--there are times when it looks like he delays a step until it's almost too late, but also looks like his foot arrives either just on time or even slightly ahead. And the slight rise and fall. I can't put my finger on it, and it's driving me crazy (in a good way). It also look just so smooth and so clean, and no matter what his feet do his body is so smooth and still...and it looks so effortless.

3. AndaBien

AndaBien Well-Known Member

I was noticing this delayed impetus about her footwork. I LOVE it when a partner does this, because it allows for so much more expression in each and every step.

4. Subliminal

Subliminal Well-Known Member

Hmm. Kind of reminds me of something Sharna once shared in a class. I believe she studied CE with Tete, among others. The idea is that the leader can use his step to re-energize the follower's movement. For example, holding over your step until she is actually shifting weight, then stepping into her as she collects and takes her next step. In CE turns, you get that swooshy she-goes-he-goes effect. I haven't practiced it in a while, but it's a cool effect, and followers seem to love it when it's done well.

5. poetas 84

poetas 84 New Member

Compare . my previous video with this one youtube. com/watch?v= lj3gWJFH1UE&feature =related.

6. poetas 84

poetas 84 New Member

an (h) , (t) + (t) + (p) and 3w should be added at the beginning of the url .Sorry for the inconvenience

7. AndaBien

8. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Hi poetas, what´s wrong with the dancing. And why dont you want to typ the address?

9. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Maybe not enough posts to have links yet?

10. poetas 84

poetas 84 New Member

Yes ! This is the problem .I'm not allowed yet to post an address .

11. poetas 84

poetas 84 New Member

Yes ,thank you This is the video I meant to send but I was not allowed to
    It's the same song ,it is Alberto Dassieu dancing with a another lady .Although the dance is beautiful the energy is different .

12. Steve Pastor

The only other new variety movement of any consequence at the present moment is the "Tango Valse." The movements are not so commonly seen as those of the "Three-Step;" but the dance must be included in the present-day fashions and must be known by the would-be "up-to-dates."

1920 Hand Book of Ballroom Dancing

http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/r?ammem/musdi:@field(DOCID @lit(M05125))

13. Steve Pastor

14. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

15. Steve Pastor

I thorough knowledge of Durang's Horn Pipe would be most helpful, and I suggest you start there!

16. jantango

jantango Active Member

If a picture says a thousands words, a video would fill a book.

Lilly_of_the_valley likes this.
  17. AndaBien

"Say O.K. That's the way, that's the way
    That's the way, I like it"

18. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

Some of those dancers look good enough to be able to dance in the US as well.

:)

Just kidding. Thanks for posting this Janis, and I wish you a very Happy New Year.

19. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

someone posted this video on Facebook, and a visitor to BsAs commented that they didn't look like locals judging by their dress and quality of dancing.. and were probably tourists..

20. jantango

jantango Active Member

They are portenos not foreigners.