Tango- Whipping head?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by letsdance101, May 20, 2013.

1. letsdance101

letsdance101 Member

This probably makes no sense, but I have a quick question. I have seen many couples while dancing tango flick/whip their heads around really quickly. I can understand doing it once and being fine (look right look left look right) but I have seen couples flick/whip their heads back and forth 2 or 3 times back to back and sometimes even more. How do they do this without getting a major headache or getting dizzy? I like the look of whipping the head multiple times, but I cant seem to do it without my head hurting afterwards.
    Soulmate61 likes this.
  2. bia

bia Active Member

I don't know that it speaks to the headache/dizziness question, but an important point overall is that the head movement is in reaction to body movement, not done independently. I don't think it's something you can figure out by looking at it -- you have to be taught, probably through feel, what's going on elsewhere in the body to create those energy pulses.
    ajiboyet and stash like this.
  3. stash

stash Well-Known Member

To add on to what bia said, your head isn't just flopping around which would hurt more. It's supported every time the whipping action happens through the neck and the back so though it feels quick, it's not jarring or painful.
    ajiboyet likes this.
  4. letsdance101

letsdance101 Member

Ohhh okay that makes a lot more sense... I didn't think about it being strong and connected through the neck and back... Thanks you all for answering because I was quite perplexed :)
  5. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

You wanna see head whipping check out videos of Joanne Clifton:

It hurts MY head just thinking about it.
  6. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

Crikey :eek:

(but she should have used more hairspray :p)
  7. mindputtee

This is the second video of her I've seen now in a show with less than perfect hair.
  8. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

apparently she neglected the dress rehearsal
  9. Sania

Sania Active Member

Nice dress though!
  10. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

WDSF for one thing. Not WDC. Not all tango dancers use such extreme head positions and extreme changes of positions.

But as for the how. First dizzy is a phycological response to physiological stimuli. And you can shut off a phycological response. In other words, practice "not getting dizzy" and you won't get dizzy anymore.

If you just stand around and shake your head without coordinating the support muscles through out the body, back, neck... you are going to hurt yourself. My SCM is really strong. And it has relaxed over the years of not dancing pro anymore, because at one time it was huge!! There are also tons of muscles twitching throughout her torso to counter the movements.
    Warren J. Dew likes this.
  11. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

LMAO. This is why i wonder if at the higher levels in international tango (if i ever get there LMAO), i'll have to stop wearing my hairpieces :eek:
    Mr 4 styles likes this.
  12. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

hahahaaaaaaaaaaaaa miss silly
  13. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

as an aside, I find that what makes the head movement striking is more about the stillness after the flick than exerting a lot of energy on the flick...and, as the lady, most of the effectiveness in the flick is about being loose enough to receive it
  14. leee

leee Active Member

With thrashing like that, no amount of hairspray will help, surely?
    ajiboyet likes this.
  15. mindputtee

Sure it will. You should see my hair at comps. If someone wants to run into the back of my head the jokes on them, it ain't gonna bother me.
    Miss Silly, ajiboyet and dlliba10 like this.
  16. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Active Member

Same situation with my partner. She'll sleep in an updo for multi day comps and you can't even tell in the second day after all the freezing spray in there.

And I completely agree; the contrast of the stillness to the sharp movement is what really makes the head flicks exciting and dynamic to watch.
  17. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

its all fun and games until someone loses an eye.....
  18. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Thank goodness I don't have to worry about stone hard hair... I just have to worry about those pesky elbows
  19. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

I find some of Joanne's head movements exaggerated and probably unnecessary. Tango is already a dramatic dance by its DNA.

And yes, most head and even hand movements (in the styles that have a lot of them, definitely not Standard) should come out of a deeper place; your torso. Not only will you hurt if you're not supporting properly; the judges will see that your movements are "fake" or "shallow" (for want of better words) assuming you're competing.
  20. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

having read everyone else's comments, I expected not to like the clip....I am assuming it is a show dance, and therefore, I found it playful, I wouldfind it somewhat distracting if they were competing (though maybe not in a bad way)....at any rate, I didn't mind it at all....then again, I like that stuff ....so sue me