Tanning bed advice

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by tanya_the_dancer, Jul 17, 2010.

1. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I want to go to a tanning place to fix some uneven tan, which doesn't match my dress cutouts. I figured that would be one way to do it, since that would be the only place where I can tan without a swimsuit. And I know from experience that tanning lotion or even spray tan does not fix uneven natural tan.

The tanning place I want to use has 5 levels of tanning beds, apparently the most basic one is closest to the natural sun (so you can potentially burn), and some progressively more expensive levels which (according to their receptionist) are less likely to burn and give you darker tan faster. I haven't used a tanning bed before. So I need advice - would it make sense to use the most expensive bed, or I would be OK with mid-level one?
  2. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

My advice (as a tanning bed user and not any sort of medical professional!) would be to understand my "tanning beds for dummies" lecture that puts together all I learned when deciding I don't care what dermatologists say, I'm getting a freaking tan!
    UVA- The "better" beds put out a higher percentage of UVA to UVB. UVA will make the melanin brown. It's less likely to burn you, but it's always possible.
    UVB- The "lower" beds put out a higher percentage of UVB to UVA. UVB is more likely to burn you. But it is UVB that encourages your skin to make melanin. If you haven't made any melanin, there's none for the UVA to brown.
    Personally, I never ever use the lowest beds. They seem cheaper, but I think in the long run, because you have to use them more often, it's better to go with the higher end beds.
    That said, don't go immediately to the highest beds. Start with upper middle. That way you can create lots of melanin that won't immediately turn brown, but you'll be making lots of it. THEN go in the higher level occasionally to turn all that wonderful melanin you've been making brown.
    Don't go everyday. It's kind of like building muscles. Your body needs a day to "recover." It's not necessarily going to slow things down, but it won't speed things up if you go daily, and well, that's just a waste of money and time.
    Every 2-3 days is good. When I'm trying to get a base, I go every other day or so. And then since I use REALLY good beds, I can go once per week or even every other week to maintain whatever color I'm at (which for those that know me, is VERY pale this year, because I haven't been as much as I want, but it's still much darker than natural me.)
    And use lotion. If you don't, your skin will dry out and the rays will just bounce off. But make sure you get some AT the tanning bed place, because most lotion isn't safe for the tanning bed acrylics (what you're laying on, and personally, I want to keep that stuff nice and intact so I don't crash through onto the bulbs,) and it just doesn't work as well for getting you a good tan. And make sure you don't get a "tingle" lotion until you've been tanning so long that you resemble a member of the Jersey Shore cast. :)
    Most important, DO NOT GO THE FULL TIME. If you're pale like me, start with just a few minutes. I started with 3 the very first time I went. It seems like a waste to not get your full time. But if you burn, you're going to have to wait for that to heal, not to mention, damage your skin more than necessary. If you turn pink at all and stay pink for any portion of the day, that's burn, stay out for a few days. You may turn pink from the heat when you first get out. That's ok. Staying pink is not. It's always better to go less time than to go too much. Progress your time slowly. If you go in sporting fake dancer tan, make sure to start slowly. You don't want to trick the girl behind the counter into thinking you can handle more time. My rule of thumb, as pale as I am, is to always subtract a minute from what they recommend. If you aren't super pale, and are at a good location (rather than a video rental or behind a hair salon) then go with what they recommend. And get OUT of the bed if you feel like you're burning. Like I said, less is always better than too much.

Oh, and remember, if you're going nekkid (which I assume you are to even things out) the normally covered bits WILL burn if you go as long as your arms can handle. :)
  3. tanya_the_dancer

Thanks! I think I'll start with the mid-level bed and work my way up from there. They have weekly passes, so for about $25 a week, if I do level 3 bed every 2-3 days, I can do it 3 times a week.
  4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I use the cheap beds...and I get an excellent tan but I don't burn..imo...if you tend to burn the key is more about not staying in too long at first...and getting a good tan is about good lotion IMV
  5. flashdance

flashdance Active Member

George Foreman :cool:
  6. tanya_the_dancer

I'm getting some weird results with this. The parts I didn't really care about getting tan (like the baby bulge) got darkest but it doesn't matter fortunately, since they stay hidden from the view. Stretch marks want to stay white, no matter what. And my shoulders and chest, which got most exposure to our normal everyday sunlight before I tried the bed, are not getting much darker.
  7. fascination

a) people tend to put more lotion, plus it pools, on thier mid-driff
    b) often there is a more protected area around the face and neck of a tanning bed

you can a) scoot down and b) use more lotion on the upper area
  8. tanya_the_dancer

Officially don't like the tanning beds. Something about being under all that light just makes me feel weird. Like some people used to city air feel weird when they're somewhere where the air is much fresher.
  9. broadst25

broadst25 New Member

I own "--------"(a tanning salon) and also do custom spray tanning. I have been certified by "Healthy Tans" and "Norvell". We can address all those problems. We correct a lot of mistakes caused by the spray tanning units.
  10. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

So basically, you're using your very first post here to promote your business. Hmm. Check out the DF guidelines, please. :)
  11. broadst25

broadst25 New Member

Sorry. I just wanted her to know that I knew what I was talking about.
    It will never happen again.
    tom
  12. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Sorry. Didn't mean to be snippy. :cool:
  13. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

14. freeageless

freeageless Active Member

Nucat, thanks, very good information. I don't know if this is on point are not. Every 6 months or so, I get red bumps on my face. I go to a dermatologist and he removes them by freezing them off. He told me that that was caused some 50 years ago by my mother taking me to the beach where I would be out in the sun. I would recommend that everyone consult a dermatologist before using any kind of tanning machines or tanning beds-but hey to each his own.
  15. fascination

sorry to hear that nucat