Tattoos and Piercings in Ballroom Dancing

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by ballroomboilergirl, Dec 13, 2003.

?

With regards to competition appearance, what do you think of tattoos and piercings on ballroom dance

1. A big no-no! Shouldn't be seen on competition floor

81.7%
  2. They're okay as long they aren't very noticeable and don't affect your dancing

15.6%
  3. They're good because they draw attention to you

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Piercings and tattoos don't matter...its your dancing the judges are watching!

1.5%
  5. Undecided

0.8%
  6. Other

0.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Everybody has a right to their own opinion, and our community is enlightened enough to let others believe as they wish if their stated their case does not sway their views. I find it nice to share our viewpoints and opinions, life would be very boring, not to mention slow in advancing if everybody believed the same things.
  2. bia

bia Active Member

I've already gone on longer than necessary, but on re-reading, I feel the need to make one clarification. When I say that glasses make an aesthetic difference, that is not at all to say that glasses always look bad. As I said, I wear my glasses every day, and I like how I look. I just don't like how they look on me when combined with a ballgown, big jewelry, and an updo.
    leee and Lioness like this.
  3. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

I saw her!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D
  4. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

I can fix that... just sayin
    llamasarefuzzy likes this.
  5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I don't feel at though I am debating a thing....or arguing a thing...I am stating my opinion and my experience...I am completely cool that others don't share it
  6. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Sometimes discussions like this are a little less argumentative and personal if people responded with... "I see your point".

Instead we respond with "no, I don't agree, let me restate my opinion" which leads to a merry go round effect..
    stash and latingal like this.
  7. DL

DL Well-Known Member

I *had* said my piece, but will make this point: I'm sure you'll agree that, given a choice, an undamaged eyeball (or any body part) is to be preferred over one that requires and receives surgical repair, no matter how skillful. Furthermore, even tongue-in-cheek, the possibility of surgical remedy of trauma aggravated by the presence of contacts is hardly a point in favor of them.

As for aesthetic prejudice, judgment, opinions on whether glasses are "in the spirit of ballroom" I will take Larinda's mention of "merry go round" in post #186 to heart and stick with "I've said my piece."
  8. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Who on Earth (except people with VERY extreme prescriptions) wears hard contacts any more? Silica hydrogel lenses are the standard at this point.
  9. Generalist

Generalist Active Member

Personally I don't like tattoos -- especially on women!

In theory tattoos should effect judging just as any other clothes item does. Given my bias against tattoos, I would have to admit that if I was judging I might have negative thoughts about ladies with tattoos or men that look like they belong at a carnival.

We all know that clothes affect the results of competitions and how and when people are asked to dance at social dances. That's just the way it is.

Imagine a lady showing up with grey workout clothes for a ballroom dance. Wouldn't it follow that her clothes will affect the outcome of the judging?
  10. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Around the same as if a man showed up wearing trackies instead of a tailsuit, I think...

Curious as to why the tattooed look is bad for women in particular?
  11. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

I dunno. For the most part I think tattoos probably detract. I can think of some I wouldn't mind though. Something small and on the foot would be okay. I also could see a small tattoo around the navel or a belly button piercing that wouldn't be out place for anything but standard ( which you would probably cover it up anyways). I also wouldn't mind a tasteful nose piercing or ear cartilage piercing, for Latin
  12. Wolfgang

Wolfgang Member

How about this: "I see your point, and it is wrong."
    I've learned that participation in online forums (any topic) requires thick skin, and very often also a substantial amount of suspension of disbelief.
    In that sense, it's just like going to the bar.
    Where there's never any shortage of illustrated people.
    Maybe next time, I'll leave my credit card at home (for safety) and take an extra-strong magnet instead, maybe I can make their body piercings do fun stuff.
    danceronice likes this.
  13. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

it just amazes me that folks can state their own experience and point of view and others perceive it as a disagreement...with or without the addendum of "I see your point"...personally, I don't need anyone to see my point...I just need them to not be cranky pants about me having one different than theirs as long as I am not attacking them
  14. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

depends. I know several people whose eyes do not allow them to wear soft contacts.
  15. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I've never even seen a pair, and I have fairly poor vision (in one eye, at least; it's always a gamble whether Wal-Mart's eye center will have the right eye's strength in stock.) Even back when I got them (I was sixteen, so quite some time ago) the optometrist considered hard lenses passe except for people with some very unusual eye issues.

In any case, glasses breaking/getting smashed into your face are much more likely to do damage. I've never been hurt by my contacts but I've found the frames of glasses smashing into the lower part of the orbital bones hurts a lot. For me, it's not about the look per se as much as slippage, breakage, and glass/plastic to the eye hurting.
  16. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Well, if you think of ballroom as a sport, then contacts should be fairly normal...how many athletes do you see out there wearing eyeglasses?
    stash likes this.
  17. DL

DL Well-Known Member

It seems I'm not true to my word about leaving the thread. :( Well, just for some facts:

1. I grew up watching basketball players such as Horace Grant win NBA championships while wearing Rec Specs.

2. Ironically, when I do a web search now for NBA and glasses, I'm swamped by results for a current trend: players who don't need glasses are wearing rims with no lenses for "nerd chic" effect during post-game appearances.
  18. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

I wear hard gas perm lenses....
    Larinda McRaven likes this.
  19. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

I know I can't dance in glasses...the few times I've forgotten they've flown off within seconds of starting a cha cha or tango... DP dances in contacts, and as far as I know, it's never even occurred to him they could be problematic.
  20. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

Are our heads supposed to be moving around so much that stuff flies off them, or is this for a particular head-roll or tic action? I just had a mental image of a future nursing home dance competition with false teeth and hearing aids flying all over the place.