Tattoos and Piercings in Ballroom Dancing

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by ballroomboilergirl, Dec 13, 2003.

?

With regards to competition appearance, what do you think of tattoos and piercings on ballroom dance

1. A big no-no! Shouldn't be seen on competition floor

81.7%
  2. They're okay as long they aren't very noticeable and don't affect your dancing

15.6%
  3. They're good because they draw attention to you

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Piercings and tattoos don't matter...its your dancing the judges are watching!

1.5%
  5. Undecided

0.8%
  6. Other

0.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Any sharp head turn will fling glasses off, IME.
  2. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Apparently, you haven't spend a great deal of time in a nursing home. Just sayin'.
    middy and Hedwaite like this.
  3. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

Not yet I haven't. Apparently, the attempt at tongue in cheek was lost. Just sayin'.
  4. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Well, I guess it does depend on the glasses and how tightly they fit your head. One of my friends has very sharp head turns but manages fine with glasses on the comp floor. He's been doing very well also, so it hasn't seemed to affect his placements in any meaningful way.

It's been a long time since I've danced with glasses, but mostly it just distracts me if and when they move around. More of a problem in sharper dances - tango and Latin/rhythm.
  5. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Better a lens get smooshed around your eyball than a nosepad perforating it.
    danceronice and dlliba10 like this.
  6. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

I think it depends on the style. If your dancing highish level competitive dancing, there will certainly be enough motions to throw off glasses (especially in tango. I could see it happening in spins in the Latin/smooth dances as well). Not too sure about social dancing because that's not what I do.
  7. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

Any turn that requires a spot results in my glasses flying off my face. Granted, I have a large head and my frames are sized accordingly, but every time I've tried to tango, for example, with my glasses on, even a head flick from closed to promenade results in my glasses flying off. In the context of executing a full turn (spiral, etc.), my coach says that my glasses flying off are an indication that I'm doing it correctly. :p
    Sania, llamasarefuzzy and middy like this.
  8. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

9. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Stephen also wore hard gas perm lenses. As does my step-daughter.

I have several students who, although they do not compete in glasses, will wear them for lessons... in Smooth. And I am always amazed they do not fly off. One time I saw one girl push them back up her nose, one time.
    dbk and latingal like this.
  10. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I think in the case of my former pro, the glasses were loose to begin with ..but it happened nearly weekly..shrug....
  11. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I also dislike the lack of peripheral vision I have with glasses. I basically wear them when my eyes are tired but my pro could be forgiven for not knowing I even need them as I always wear contacts for lessons and comps.
  12. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

in my part of the USA, contacts are a package deal for fitting and such, and the contacts are a quarterly cost... and probably not much more than one lesson, so not having contacts seems a nonstarter. Of course, specialized lenses up the price, but for dance, a simple pair, used only during classes or competition, can last months. Only use them when on the floor and a pair that is expected to be in your eyes daily for 2 weeks can last several months.
  13. llamasarefuzzy

I think the cost might also depend on the type of prescription. I also might be a little concerned about the shelf life of a 2 week lens over several months
  14. middy

middy Well-Known Member

You should be ok to store them long(er) term in contact solution, so long as you change it every 30 days.
  15. llamasarefuzzy

cool. I didn't know, as I wear my contacts everyday.
  16. clumsy fellow

clumsy fellow Active Member

Tatts for sponsors, perhaps?

Big Boy.jpg
  17. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

18. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Wow. I love tats, but...um.....no.
  19. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Are those real or photoshopped in as satire or something?
  20. clumsy fellow

clumsy fellow Active Member

The shadowing is nice but the pixelation around some of the tats plus no curvature in the KFC has me guessing they are not. Only a guess as I don't know this "billboard".