Tattoos and Piercings in Ballroom Dancing

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by ballroomboilergirl, Dec 13, 2003.

?

With regards to competition appearance, what do you think of tattoos and piercings on ballroom dance

1. A big no-no! Shouldn't be seen on competition floor

81.7%
  2. They're okay as long they aren't very noticeable and don't affect your dancing

15.6%
  3. They're good because they draw attention to you

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Piercings and tattoos don't matter...its your dancing the judges are watching!

1.5%
  5. Undecided

0.8%
  6. Other

0.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. BayAreaBallroomLady

BayAreaBallroomLady New Member

not to offend those of you who are into tattooing, but alas... styles DO change...
    which is why I personally NEVER commit to any fashion item being inked into my body so that I can be part of the current Popular culture. Heck, I can't even own the same car for more than a couple years without getting sick of it!

The image of being a 90 year old woman with barbed wire on her wrists really really doesn't appeal to me. :lol: Yep I was BORN conservative when conservative wasn't cool!
  2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

LOL. Hilarious image, BayAreaBallroomLady!

I'm considering giving myself a tattoo for my birthday next week. But it'll be someplace well hidden. My little rebellion, for just me an my SO to enjoy. And hopefully, he'll be around until I'm ninety, and won't mind a little barbed wire. :wink: :lol:
  3. Merrylegs

Merrylegs Well-Known Member

I realize this thread is old but it seemed the most relevant for the questions I have.

So, about 14 years ago I got a tattoo on my back. This was before I was dancing. It's a kinda big (2 inches) Celtic sun and is between my shoulder blades. I haven't had too many regrets about getting it until lately. That is, until this competition.

My new dress is so gorgeous and classy that I can't imagine having my tattoo show. I'm interested in trying the Dermablend but have some questions the website doesn't seem to answer.

Because the back of the dress is very low and because I dance Smooth there is a danger of the makeup rubbing off onto my coach's tailsuit. Needless to say this is not something I want to happen. I'd prefer not to have to pay to replace the tailsuit. Know what I mean?

Has anyone used the Dermablend and found it to *completely * smudge-proof? Any other comments you'd like to share? Can you recommend a another product that works as well?

Did I say that I'm dancing in 2 days?

Thank you.
  4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

your SO?????????????????????????????????????
  5. fascination

i got the belly but peirced as a reckless whim....it does want to be pierced though so I have let it close.....my entire family thought I was insane...prolly right...oh well...
  6. fascination

never tried the derma blend...sorry michelle
  7. alemana

alemana New Member

i have a very visible tattoo on my arm and i covered it with over-the-counter MAC concealer for my comp last weekend. you could see it close up, of course, but from a distance, not so much. i wish i had tried the Dermablend so i could advise you... sorry.
  8. Merrylegs

O.K. Did you find the concealer to be smudge proof? Did it rub off onto your partner or any clothing?

The pre-comp freaking out has begun!
  9. alemana

alemana New Member

i made sure the skin was very clean and dry before - no oil - and the concealer itself is not very oily, rather cakey. so this is good for stay-ability. it was good-quality MAC stuff (which i know i mentioned earlier.) nothing rubbed off on anyone.

dermablend is expensive, or i would've bought some myself. i might try some drugstore "stayproof" foundation, like covergirl, for a dry run next time - that stuff is formulated not to smudge. but we didn't have any problems.

how would you see the tailsuit coming into contact with the tattoo area - on his sleeve, or...? because as i picture it there doesn't seem to be much danger, but i'm not good at visualizing. do you have any practice before the comp? you could do a dry run with you sporting the coverup makeup and him in street clothes, to minimize damage?
  10. Shannon

Shannon New Member

I have used Dermablend though it was years ago. It stayed on very well but wore off over a few hours to the point where you could see through it. I coverd an all black tattoo on my leg which I am actually in the process of having lasered off.

As for covering, Dermablend is the best product I have used.

Hope that helps.

Shannon
  11. Merrylegs

We have a couple of steps were we're in skaters hold, I guess you would call it. His arm in on my back, that's where I am worried.

Hmm. What if I use the MAC concealer and then spray it with hairspray to seal it? I'm sure it will feel gross but I don't care. Any thoughts? I've seen women actually set their makeup with hairspray, that's where I'm getting the idea from.

Of course color matching anything right now is next to impossible since I'm not the right (fake) tan color yet.
  12. Merrylegs

Thanks Shannon.

Do you know where they sell that stuff? I called Sephora and they said they don't carry it.

I live in Boston. I'm hoping a major department store carries it. I'm going back to the Dermablend website now.

13. alemana

alemana New Member

that's what i was going to do but i forgot my hairspray!

i would only worry that the hairspray would not dry matte, and shine would draw attention rather than deflect light. i would like to try this. you might also set with regular face powder, which will also come off on other people but harmlessly.
  14. star_gazer

star_gazer Active Member

Both the kids use Dermablend and the Dermablend powder. Although I haven't found any stains on the tailsuit, the shirt & collar are stained and nothing gets it totally out.
  15. alemana

alemana New Member

16. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Seems like a really good suggestion if you have the chance.

...and good luck too!!! :D
  17. Merrylegs

Thanks for the warm wishes. I have a lesson tonight, I think I'll call him now and warn him.

I just found out that Macy's and Lord & Taylor sell the dermablend product line. I think I'll go check it out at lunch today.

I'll let you know.
  18. alemana

alemana New Member

do they have the same kind of return policy Sephora does?
  19. Merrylegs

I don't know. I think I'll run over to Sephora before I go to Lord & Taylor. I seem to remember there being a different product called Tattoo Cover, or something like that.

How am I going to squeeze all of this in?

Crikey!
  20. Medira

Medira New Member

Maybe cover half with Dermablend and the other half with the Sephora product? See which one works better for your test?