Tattoos and Piercings in Ballroom Dancing

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by ballroomboilergirl, Dec 13, 2003.

?

With regards to competition appearance, what do you think of tattoos and piercings on ballroom dance

1. A big no-no! Shouldn't be seen on competition floor

81.7%
  2. They're okay as long they aren't very noticeable and don't affect your dancing

15.6%
  3. They're good because they draw attention to you

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Piercings and tattoos don't matter...its your dancing the judges are watching!

1.5%
  5. Undecided

0.8%
  6. Other

0.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. monicadances

monicadances New Member

Interesting topic. I haven't competed for quite a few years now, and am working on my return to the competition floor. In 2000/2001 I had tattoos and now I very much want them to be removed...because of my dancing...
  2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Doesn't laser removal leave scars? And isn't it painful? (I have no idea, but that's what I've always thought. :?)
  3. monicadances

monicadances New Member

I am not sure about the scars. It is somewhat painful, I think.

But an appropriate dress will also solve the 'problem'...
  4. pygmalion

5. monicadances

monicadances New Member

What's going on, Pygmalion, tattoo regret?
  6. pygmalion

Nope. I waited until I was old enough to be sure. No regret. Just an itchy google finger. :wink: :lol:
  7. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I took a lesson from a judge once and he said that all sorts of little things come into play when they are deciding who is better. Basically they would look for things which make one person worse than other, and if they're don't find anything substatial to pick on, it will be overall appearance. And anything which might make judges go "Huh?" is a bad thing, so why risk it?
  8. gracie

gracie Active Member

I wore dermablend after surgery and even following the directions with the setting powder it did smudge- got on clothes, cell phone, you name it. Very greasy- so glad I no longer have to wear it! Hope you find a solution!
  9. SuzieQ

SuzieQ New Member

My opinion: if you make the decision to compete, and you want to win, you have to do what will make the judges happy. No one's forcing you to compete (I assume!) And there are rules; for instance, if you don't want to wear cowboy boots, don't enter a C&W comp. No one's telling you to listen to country music outside of the ballroom, or change your lifestyle--just do what's required/expected during the competition. (C&W is the only comp. I have experience in.) If the judges aren't going to be impressed with your tatoos, or your lack of tan, then you need to do something about it or expect to not win, or don't compete.
  10. caityrosey

caityrosey New Member

The way I look at it is that a tatoo or a piercing is a permanent part of your costume...and you have to decide if it is appropriate for the occasion. Piercings you can take out (most of the time), or play down (somewhat). Tatoos you can cover up if you choose, or flaunt if you like. They are always something that you have to consider when you're putting your look together. If the tiger tattoo isn't part of your elegant waltzer image then you should find a way to cover it...or not have it at all if having it will cause you too many problems. I hesitate to tell people what they are and are not allowed to do with their bodies--tattoos and piercings can be very personal and meaningful...but people have to recognize the limitations that a permanent body alteration place on them and the extra effort they may need to make with their "look" in certain situations.
  11. alemana

alemana New Member

michelle -

how'd it go with the coverup at the comp? the comp in general? can't wait for deets :)
  12. Merrylegs

Merrylegs Well-Known Member

Tattoos cannot be removed as easily as cowboy boots. To use your example, it isn't as simple as turning off country music or changing my lifestyle. Duh. So should I become the Hunchback of Notre Dame and never come out during the light of day? No.

I got a tattoo on my back 14 years ago, long before I ever considered that competing in ballroom would be a part of my life. I've always thought my tattoo was a part of me and you could accept it/me or not. It may not necessarily be who I am today but it is who I was all those years ago. Not too many people have completely flipped out about it. In fact, Suzy Q, you've had the most extreme reaction to my tattoo than anyone has in about 9 years. And, I don't think we've ever met, so I find it funny that you are so critical of me. Life is not so black and white as you'd make it out to be.

So, this weekend? I let it all hang out, so to speak. I just didn't get a chance to try anything out, I was out of time to do any experimenting. No one gasped, shrieked or pointed at me in horror. And, you know what? I won all of my events. Granted it was a small comp but given the fact that I was warmly welcomed by all of the people I've known for all the years I've been dancing, I'm guessing everyone was o.k. with it.

My costume was beautiful, my hair was perfect, my makeup very professional looking. I was prepared with my routines and I am relaxed when I'm on the dance floor, it shows. I spend a LOT of money on my presentation.

No one is perfect, everyone has flaws. How you deal with them is the real key to success. On and off the dance floor.

Have a groovy day, o.k?

13. bjp22tango

bjp22tango Active Member

Michele:

I doubt that SuzieQ was talking to you specifically. Even though the thread was recently resurrected, there were other comments from prior years that I took her to be responding to. I think she and CateyRosie were basically saying the same thing.

Some earlier postings were saying that any kind of piercing/tatooing should be accepted and gotten over.

I think SuzieQ and CateyRosey were saying that you have to work within the constraints of the "competition" you are in. If tatoos/piercings are frowned upon you have to decide whether to "go with the flow" or "swim against the tide".

Incidently, in the recent OPB competition, one of the competitors had a low back latin dress on with a tattoo low in the back that was commented on by the two hosts. Tony Meredith, the retired latin champion, didn't have a problem with it. I would have been interested to see what the thought would have been with a standard or smooth gown.
  14. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I didn't find SuzieQ's reaction to be extreme at all...
  15. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

likewise...i saw nothing of a personal attack there or anything even remotely extreme but having been judged outside the ballroom venue on the basis of a piercing I can understand why someone would be sensitive about it...my entire family decided I was having a mid life crisis when I got the bellybutton pierced...mercifully that is a fairly easy one to conceal
  16. Shannon

Shannon New Member

I got mine at either a Sears, Hecht's or JCPenny. I remember thinking it was an odd store to carry it. It was a department store though, I remember that.
  17. Shannon

Shannon New Member

It can leave scars and it can be painful and there is also a chance that it might not go away completely. It can also take forever for it to go away if you have skin like mine that holds ink like a tattoo artists dream. I've had about 15 treatments in two years and there is still some ink. So far, no scaring here, scaring really depends on the person. As for the pain, it is short, my treatment only takes about a 1-2 minutes and you get used to it.
  18. Shannon

Shannon New Member

I didn't find SuzieQ's reaction to be extreme either or directed at anyone in particular.

I have a tattoo (or the remains of one) it is on might right calf. The decision to remove it was based on it looking out of place in dancing and in the office. It drew too much attention and often the wrong types of attention. Covering it became too much of a pain in the butt so I'm taking a more permanent route.

Tattoos are a personal decision but dancing is a public sport and the judges are impacted by these things. Competitors need to make their own personal decisions about whether they want to conform or not/
  19. JoepiE

JoepiE New Member

A nice body is appreciated by everyone. A nice body with piercing and/or tattoos is not appreciated by every single judge. In fact I dare te say that the majority of judges don't like it.

Regardless of my own oppinion on tattoos and piercing I think it's wise to not show them on the dancefloor, risking judges marking you down.
  20. fire_sprite

fire_sprite New Member

I haven't made up my mind about tatooing but i think piercing can really add to a dancers costume in latin (if done tastefully!). I think the matching belly button ring with latin costumes can look fantastic on women..and multiple ear piercings look good because the more glitter the better really. I wouldn't personally have any more than that though. I love guy latin dancers with eyebrow bars as well...but that might be just me lol