Tattoos and Piercings in Ballroom Dancing

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by ballroomboilergirl, Dec 13, 2003.

?

With regards to competition appearance, what do you think of tattoos and piercings on ballroom dance

1. A big no-no! Shouldn't be seen on competition floor

81.7%
  2. They're okay as long they aren't very noticeable and don't affect your dancing

15.6%
  3. They're good because they draw attention to you

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Piercings and tattoos don't matter...its your dancing the judges are watching!

1.5%
  5. Undecided

0.8%
  6. Other

0.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Yliander

Yliander Member

I have 9 piercings and 1 tattoo.

and while I compete - not in ballroom - I get mixed reactions to them - some people like them others don't

the first time i competed - I made earrings for each of my ear piercings that went with my costume - the tattoo was not seen in any of my costumes that year

Last year though I wanted a low back in my dress - and the orginial cut of the dress went halfway across the tattoo - it sits in the lower part of my smaller back - so I had two options either have a higher or lower back - using make up to cover it was to risky due to not enough time to trial it.

So we decided to go for a lower back - I got a lot of "i didn't know you had a tattoo" comment - those that didn't like it made disparaing remarks about the design of the tattoo - but the most common response was that it looked great and that the tatoo and dress went well together

my personal opinion is if you have a tattoo and it is going to be shown then it needs to be done so as to be a complementary element of the costume if it is going to clash - then have the costume cover it or use make up to cover it.

2. Ms_Sunlight

Ms_Sunlight New Member

Yeah Yliander, I agree. It seems a terrible shame to me to have a tattoo and not make it a feature of your look. Most of my clothes I buy are chosen to either cover mine, or work with them. Likewise the colours are mostly greens and yellows so I pick colours that work with that, or at least don't work against it.

It's no different to anything else really -- you dress appropriate to the setting. I'm fortunate, for example, to work in an environment where a nose stud and a few extra ear piercings aren't a big deal. However I do have "work" clothes that cover my tattoos.

3. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

I don't have a lot of piercings - both earlobes, my tragus on one ear is pierced, and I have a conch piercing in the other. They're simple - the conch piercing is just a thick silver ring, the tragus has a curved silver barbell with silver ends. I try to wear silver costume jewelry - I would probably switch them all out if I was wearing gold with my costume. No one has ever really paid attention to them. The only comments people have ever made at dance functions was that they had never noticed them and did it hurt. :)

As for tatoos, I personally don't like the way they look on the floor. Even if they work with your costume, they tend to look like a smudge from a distance. I'd go with the Dermablend.

But hey - that's just me.

4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Ooh. I thought, "Tragus?" So of course I was forced to google. :lol: Did it hurt? :cool:

[​IMG]

5. Yliander

Yliander Member

I'm sure little ones would look like a smudge and dermablend all the way - mines a little large for that though

6. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

Yeah, actually. :) That's a thick chunck of ear!

And here's a picture of a conch piercing, just for fun:

[​IMG]

7. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

IMO, even the big ones usually are too intricate for the design to be visible from the floor, and end up looking dirty.

Although, I saw a picture earlier today of a woman with a butterfly on her shoulder and an open-backed latin dress, and I thought it would have been really cool if she had used eyelash glue to rhinestone the butterfly in the colors of the ink. You know, if you can't hide it, flaunt it, right? :)

Enough rhinestones can ballroom-ize anything!

8. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Words to live by! :D

(And both of those piercings look pretty painful to me. *shudder* )

9. Yliander

Yliander Member

OOooo what a lovely idea!!!!

LOL

10. hustleNflow

hustleNflow New Member

Someone's mention of Mazen Hamsa's tattoo in on of the OSB threads got me thinking about this: are visible tattoos (or body piercings, or crazy hair color, or even outrageous costuming...for lack of a better term, we'll collectively refer to them as "miscellaneous unorthodoxy") a detriment on the competition floor, or do they not really matter at all?

Ideally, I think we'd all like to assume that judges are so focused on our dancing that they'd be able to overlook a tattoo or interesting piercing here or there if someone's dancing was truly good. However, my coach brought up an interesting point to me last night: "If two couples dance equally as good, and one of them has a tattoo and other doesn't, who do you think is going to get the higher placement?"

This is especially pertinent to me, as I do have a visible tattoo on my foot, and I'm contemplating whether or not to cover it up for an upcoming competition. Part of me understands that I have to "play the game" and wow judges with my appearance as well as my dancing; but another part of me still wants to be "true to myself" and leave it out in the open and let my dancing do the talking. Can things like tattoos and piercings really be "deal breakers" on the competition floor? What do you guys think?

11. emeralddancer

emeralddancer Active Member

Just like in the real world YES.

That being said ... when my pro found out I had a tattoo he said very plainly to me how Not good it is. (I have it on my lower back and it actually means something to me.) So ergo if I ever get into a comp dress my lower back better not be showing!

12. Laura

Laura New Member

I think that only applies at very high levels of "truly good," and sometimes not even then (look at Mazen...great dancer...people still talking about the tat).

See if you can cover it with that kind of makeup that is used to cover surgical scars or spider veins.

13. DrDoug

DrDoug Active Member

I've heard several judges talk about the importance of grooming, costuming, personal presentation, etc. I don't recall any of them specifically mentioning "unorthodoxy", and tastes vary, but I can't imagine any judge marking someone unfavorably for not having a tattoo.

14. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Several threads on coverin gup tats if you go that route. :)

Needles scare me, so not a concern. ;) Besides, tattoo I've always wanted will be on left bicep, so wouldnt' see it in costume anyway.

15. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I have a very visible one on my foot. Sometimes I cover it, sometimes I don't.

16. chasphoto

chasphoto New Member

I don't have any tats but I think appearance matters. You may remember I started the link on wearing glasses. My feeling is cover them. My own feeling on tats which doesn't really matter. Why have something on my body forever, I wouldn't hang on my wall for six months.

17. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I can imagine something looks-related being a tie-breaker, when the couples are very close, and tattoos are certainly something that can add to the negative side. Besides, the tattoos can really look distracting. I've seen a pro rhythm event, where one competitor had a big flower tattoo on her lower back, and the dress covered some of it. It definitely distracted from her dancing.

18. _malakawa_

_malakawa_ New Member

I am not against tattoos, actually, I like them if they are nice and small.

I have a belly piercing and in most of the cases open dress.

19. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

actually, I think in latin tatoos can be difficult. they might clash with the dress or be partially covered or not by some line in the dress, it can be potentially distracting.

20. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

dunno...Larinda...it is quite small...I think it could easily be mistaken for a mole